John Day catfish

J
Jesse
Sorry, i would have put this in the John Day zone but it doesn't get a lot of views.........So ive been goin to the John Day for about 6 or 7 years now in late july or early august. The first couple years we killed the catfish but lately have not had much luck :think:. I thought i had a pretty good idea on how to catfish but does anyone have any pointers for that river? Ive used hotdogs, chicken liver, those blood ball things. We are between Spray and Service Cr. Any good advise is appreciated.

N
nwkiller
i think people just veiw things as they come on the list of knew post, at least i do, id like to make that drive sometime, i love catfishing.

N
nwkiller
find the deep holes

troutdude
troutdude
When I used to catfish, I'd leave my chicken livers out of fridge and let 'em get a bit rancid. Then, I'd cast those into the water. The fish seemed to come a racin' for 'em because of the "scent". To the cats, it was probably like smelling dinner (and hearing the bell)!

Last edited:
S
Sage_Flyguy
Domo Domo !

H
Hawk
I've caught catfish with turkey liver, cut anchovies, nightcrawler, bloodworms, etc. The best is Pileworms, but i don't think they are sold in Oregon.

A while back i heard cat & crappie fishin' was pretty good at Brownlee Res, over by the Snake & Richland. They use crappie guts & cut piece of fillet.

Crappie Chaser is a guide in BL.

Best of Luck. :D:D

J
Jesse
Sage----->Gulp....Gulp... no one will know whats happening lol

yeah ive done all the smelly baits and i have a pretty good grasp on techniques, that river just has me stumped tho......thanx for all the good info tho, i appreciate it!

Last edited:
F
Fisher.King
I heard from a guy to glue a small red LED to a hearing aid battery then glue it to your hook (with your regular bait). Might have to douse it pretty well in glue, I don't know if the little batteries can pop when they get wet. I assume it would help because there are bass lures with blinking red LED's, something about looking like blood I think. But the fish might just have an "OOOOHHH look it's so shiny" feeling when they see it... Idk I'm not a fish :)

A rubber worm hook or large baitholder would have enough room for this.

H
Hawk
Fisher.King said:
I heard from a guy to glue a small red LED to a hearing aid battery then glue it to your hook (with your regular bait). Might have to douse it pretty well in glue, I don't know if the little batteries can pop when they get wet. I assume it would help because there are bass lures with blinking red LED's, something about looking like blood I think. But the fish might just have an "OOOOHHH look it's so shiny" feeling when they see it... Idk I'm not a fish :)

A rubber worm hook or large baitholder would have enough room for this.

I guess i'm jus ol' fashioned. I never needed a 'Rudolph' to catch a catfish. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

hahahaha

regular ol bait or a NightCrawler always lured those whisker fish...:lol::lol::lol:

T
the mutt
I'm going up there 7-20 overnight and 7-21, i hpoe i do better cause i'm going Catfshin!!!!!!
I usually fish at a secluded park south og LaPaige ,but i'm not sure whats it's called

W
Wickerdave
have fished for "cats" for many years back in the Midwest, the worse it stinks, the more fish you catch, Get some stink bait and the treble hooks with bait retainer, load it up, cast it downriver with a hefty weight on the line and wait for the fun to start.

C
CatfishSlim
Not much luck with stink baits in there. I dun good with other fish guts and such around the mouth of the river.

S
salsinker
Shad guts. They are full of blood and don't come off the hook.