Jigs - where to get hooks?

D
Dweller
I am considering tying up some jigs but have a basic question about the hooks. Do you buy hooks with heads on them or can you get a weighted bead to put on the front of it? What about painting them? Is pre-painted an option? I have seen some threads about using a fluid bed with a powder coat type of finish, but to get started I would prefer not to make an investment like that right away. I have just about everything else I need from my venture into fly tying.

I am in the Beaverton area and will be getting in touch with River City fly shop or Kauffmanns to see what they may have on hand but wanted to throw the question out to you guys to see what you recommend.

Thanks all

L
Lamzy
I purchased some at Freddys.
They were un painted.
KiltedBob

D
Dweller
I always forget about Great American Tackle for some reason, but for being a small shop he has an excellent selection.

That Pro-Tec paint is pretty slick! I had no idea it was so easy to use.

Freddys? I will hav eto swing by this afternoon and take a look. I guess I have never really been looking since I have not used Jigs in decades. After some reading yesterday I see I am out of the loop and want to add them to the arsenal this year.

thank you all!

ETA: Great American also stocks the Pro-Tec paints. :dance:

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
If you want steelhead jigs - you can get the 3 pack of Aerojig blank jigs from Bi Mart, Freddies, Dicks, Fisherman's...just about anywhere that sells Aerojigs. They're cast on Gami hooks, and are pre painted.

You can buy jig hooks with no heads on them - lots of makers make them. You can mold your own lead heads, or you can do the bead-on-post thing and tie up your own that way. Or tie dumbell eyes the jig heads.

If you're looking for panfish/trout size jig heads - Cabela's has decent deals on the micro jigs - the stuff 1/32nd oz and smaller. Those are tied on hooks from size 8 down to about 14, depending on how small the jig is.

To paint unpainted lead - you can use model paints or nail polish and save some cash - and get all sorts of interesting colors.

D
Dweller
Thanks for the link! When I am new to something I like to buy locally so I can see what I am getting and more easily know the sizes. Now that I have picked some up and tied a few of them I am going to be looking for the style you carry with the ball head and no lead on the hook shank. All the hooks I found locally have lead on the shank and it made it a bit more challenging for me to tie them.

Does that style of jig hook have a name so I can avoid it in the future?

J
Jig'n
Dweller said:
Thanks for the link! When I am new to something I like to buy locally so I can see what I am getting and more easily know the sizes. Now that I have picked some up and tied a few of them I am going to be looking for the style you carry with the ball head and no lead on the hook shank. All the hooks I found locally have lead on the shank and it made it a bit more challenging for me to tie them.

Does that style of jig hook have a name so I can avoid it in the future?

It's just a barb to help hold on the plastic tubes/grubs. Back when I first started tying I just bought the Gami heads and cut the collar off with a pair of wire cutters or an X-Acto knife. Ball heads are the best for tying jigs.

Jig'n

F
fish_4_all
I just got a bunch of jig heads from Pbug2009, he hooked me up with some Mustad 32833 jig hook and they are rock solid and sharp. Once you get to know members of forums you can find some pretty good deals. Jig'n makes some pretty gnarly steelhead stuff from the looks of his website and I would fish them too.

I
ibfishin
Jig materials

Jig materials

I get a lot of lead jigs at bimart, and river city, I also have bought them on e-bay. I got powder coat from harbour frieght and heat it with a heat gun dip it in the powder coat knock of the excess by tapping on the edge of the jar and use a toaster oven to bake it on.
I also use jig hooks with brass and lead eyes

G
gonagin
first bite jigs in Hillsboro