Jigs for bass and green ling?

F
fish_4_all
I have seen many different types used and I have heard of even more types but wanted to hear from folks on here. Mostly I hear about these:
3-4 inch white worms on a 1/2-1 ounce jig head
1-2 inch white and green worms fished either slip weight or drop style on a regular hook
Crappie jigs in white and green

What does everyone use for the big ones, I mean the big 3-5 pound bass and 15-30 inch green ling?

V
vudo
fish_4_all said:
I have seen many different types used and I have heard of even more types but wanted to hear from folks on here. Mostly I hear about these:
3-4 inch white worms on a 1/2-1 ounce jig head
1-2 inch white and green worms fished either slip weight or drop style on a regular hook
Crappie jigs in white and green

What does everyone use for the big ones, I mean the big 3-5 pound bass and 15-30 inch green ling?

Shrimp fly or sand shrimp if you want to use bait. I use the jig only more less to get the shrimp fly down and hoping for a big ling. Diamond jig are the cheapest, but I've tried others and they all worked. Just a matter of how much money you want to spend!

F
fishfreak13
I've had success catching good keeper sized black rockfish using 6-8in green/pumpkinseed curlytails as well as black curlytails. The trick is you have to hit the jetty right before sunrise. The fish come up from the bottom and feed in the upper rocks at night and dive back down when the sun comes out and hide in the rocks. So, I recommend getting there before sunrise and start casting as soon as you can see what you're doing. Incomming tide swing is also helpful for feeding fish. I like to fish where a finger jetty meets the main jetty and fancast several times. Try to cover all depths and all areas a couple times. If you don't hook up, move to the next finger and repeat. It's a lot of casting and a lot of moving, but it works. You will lose a lot of rigs. Fred Meyer sells curly tails very cheap as well as jig heads. I buy at least a dozen rigs if not more for a morning trip to the rocks. Good luck :)

F
fish_4_all
Never had to worry about time of day out here. If I find them I can catch them all day long. Over cast days help a little but once I find the places they are for the day getting 30-50 of them is a normal day. The problem is I always get the smaller ones, largest one was only about 1.5 pounds. I have seen larger ones caught mid day but I never get them. Maybe I am fishing out too far or fishing too small a bait.

As for Green ling, I rarely catch ones over 16 inches, longest was probably 20 inches. But there again, I have seen them caught up to 36 inches.

Ling cod, no problem, catch a 4-8 inch kelp green ling, put a couple big hooks in it and throw it out and let it swim. If there is a ling cod around it is fish on. Have seen them fight over them at times. Little cod won't stay long when a 20# one comes out after the bait.

D
Drew9870
The best lure I have ever used for big Lingcod is the Storm rubber fish, the ones that are about 7 - 8 inches long and in bluegill color I believe.

We just jigged them under the boat, and when the Seabass would start jumping, we would just cast and reel. They outfished regular 6 inch white grubs for sure.

Get lots of packs of Storm lures, those lingcod and cabezon tear them up.