jigging for kokes??

C
capblack
anybody jig for kokes?? just looking for some info as far as what type of gear, and the techniques. thanks, Brian

O
Oregonchris
I have never jigged for kokanee...I do plan on giving it a this year.I hear a lot about the Gibbs minnow as a good choice to try.

M
mikeredding
Haven't done it in years but we used to drop a 2" Buzz Bomb to the bottom and then bring it up about 2-3 cranks and start jigging.

L
lip ripper
Jigging

Jigging

I have done a lot of Jigging for Kokanees and have found the Gibbs minnow to be about the best. They make 1/4 oz and a 1/2 oz use the 1/4 for depths to 40' and the 1/2 beyond that. With corn on them they don't drop very fast with the line drag that's why the shallower depth for the 1/4 oz. One other thing I have found the pink and white to be the best. This may sound crazy but don't use a snap, tie the Gibbs right to your line. This has been a proven fact for some reason to work better. Find the fish on the finder and drop it right down to there depth. Last spring at Suttle we were casting into the jumping fish and killing them with no corn. There are several other Jig's that work fine also. Good luck Fishing

E
eric71m
I managed to land 2 kokes my first time jigging at suttle this weekend... takes some effort till you get the feel... "be the Jig"...

F
fishinmachine
Gibbs, Nordics, crippled herring, banana weights rigged with treble and custom painted, buzz bomb have all caught Koke for me As lip ripper said I never use a swivel on my jigs. After a few trips you tend to get a bit of line twist. Oh well. I just picked up a couple of jigs made by Braid at Joes liquidation, should be fun to try. My favs would have to be Nordics and Gibbs minnows. As far as size, I have been amazed by how big a hook a koke can get in its mouth. While jiggin over a ball of fish at Odell we had a couple of macs that were grabbing our fish as we pulled them out of the herd. I put on the biggest Buzz bomb made (I think, it was huge) and was trying to hook one of the grease balls chomping our kokes. After about 5 minutes I hooked a koke that was about the same size of the Buzz bomb.

M
Mike123
I did real well at East Lake the last couple of years on holographic buzz bombs.
The Browns also love them! :D

M
Mountain Beaver
Jigs

Jigs

I have the most success at Odell with either a pink and white or reddish/orange Nordic with white corn. Either drop 'em down to where the fish are and twitch them or cast to rising fish. Haven't heard anyone mention Jig-a-berts. If you're going through Oakridge, swing in to Bert's tackle shop (north side of Hwy 58 by the supermarket). He has a die and makes these little jigs. All kinds of colors - one size. He's usually got up to date info on Odell and Crescent.

M
mikeredding
Mountain Beaver said:
I have the most success at Odell with either a pink and white or reddish/orange Nordic with white corn. Either drop 'em down to where the fish are and twitch them or cast to rising fish. Haven't heard anyone mention Jig-a-berts. If you're going through Oakridge, swing in to Bert's tackle shop (north side of Hwy 58 by the supermarket). He has a die and makes these little jigs. All kinds of colors - one size. He's usually got up to date info on Odell and Crescent.

Oh yes Berts Fishin Stuff. I worked there when in middle school. Heck of a nice guy but he will BS your ear off if not careful!!:D

M
Mountain Beaver
Bert

Bert

I sure can't argue with the BS part with old Bert. He takes it back pretty good though and has a lot of good stuff for kokes and trout.

S
Silver Bullets
The Pro Troll web site mentions useing the black box while jiiging and still fishing to attract fish under the boat. Has anyone tried this?

M
mikeredding
Silver Bullets said:
The Pro Troll web site mentions useing the black box while jiiging and still fishing to attract fish under the boat. Has anyone tried this?

I went to their website and checked it out. I will have to admit I have never heard of this concept. I would think if it is that amazing everyone would know about it. HHHhhhhhmmmmmmm...................I am skeptical.:think:

S
Silver Bullets
mikeredding said:
I went to their website and checked it out. I will have to admit I have never heard of this concept. I would think if it is that amazing everyone would know about it. HHHhhhhhmmmmmmm...................I am skeptical.:think:

a lot of kokanee fishermen use the black box. I installed it on the boat a couple years back, and it does work (useing a short set-back when trolling.) I've been skeptical on trying it while jigging though...don't need a koke wrapped up around the wire!

P
pathfinder
Aslo some of my jigs i end up using a spinner wire through it and making it a permanent jig attached to a triple hook .

C
Combat Chuck
I noticed on the Gibbs minnow that it says to bend it in an "S" shape or into a banana shape. Do you guys do that or leave it as is?

L
lip ripper
I have tried both but I have not noticed any difference. So I just leave it straight, but tie the line direct to the Gibbs with no snap. Good luck Fishing

A
ArcticAmoeba
I have tried so hard to decipher a noticeable difference with the Gibbs minnows. I just leave them as is because I too have not found the "Bananna" shape to be any more effective.

C
Combat Chuck
Thanks guys, I probably would have mangled it trying to get it into the right shape.