Jig touch up question

W
walleyed
I have some well used Steelhead Stalkers jigs that have had all of the paint come off of the lead heads. Is there a good way to repaint them? I was thinking I could use model paint or nail polish, but would there be a concern for the fish smelling it?

C
colbypearson
I KNOW THAT A LOT OF GUYS THAT BASS FISH TOUCH UP THERE BAITS WITH SHARPIES AND NAIL POLISH BUT I WAS ALWAYS WORRIED ABOUT IT TOO PRO BASS ANGLERS DO THIS SO I DONT THINK IT SHOULD HURT I WOULD GO WITH NAIL POLISH OVER SHARPIE THOUGH ON YOUR JIGS:rolleyes::D

S
steelhead_stalkers
I use hard as nails on almost all of my jigs and the fish dont mind it. :) You could use nail polish if you wanted to. The eyes arent painted what part came off? And you must have really got some use out of them. :D

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
you can buy JIG HEAD PAINT/LURE PAINT at most bait/ sporting goods stores . just dip it in the jar . pretty cheep . $3.99 a jar at fishermans . all kinds of colors available .

M
Mike123
Those lead heads are so small I doubt the fish even cares.. ;)
Are the eyes still there?

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
Those lead heads are so small I doubt the fish even cares.. ;)
Are the eyes still there?
Haha I really don't think with small jigs the head makes that much of a difference. However, on some larger jigs I've touched up a few with some nail polish and caught fish on them so I wouldn't be concerned about the smell so much, just let 'em air out a couple days and wash them well.

O
Oncorhynchus
I tie a lot of my own jigs and the jig heads i use normally chip pretty fast but i have never noticed it effecting the fish much. I have caught just as many on chipped jigs as unchipped jigs. Now nightmare jigs (black tail red body white head) I do cover the head with a layer of head cement it seems to help keep them from chipping for a time because i think them having a white head is important. I will have to try tough as nails and see how that works.

W
walleyed
So I just realized that there are two companies with similar names. Steelhead Stalkers and Steelhead Stalker. The ones I am referring to is Steelhead Stalker, no eyes on these little guys. They just have solid 1/4 oz lead head. Thanks for all of the ideas i will definitely try some of them out. As far as the hard as nails, is that a fishing product or where could I find that?

Thanks

S
steelhead_stalkers
You have me stumped. There are steelhead stalker floats but I have never heard of any jigs with the name other than mine. Where did you purchase them and do you have some pictures? Thanks

W
walleyed
Ya its the same brand as the floats that you are thinking of. They all came in the same package. I got 2 floats and 3 jigs in each one. They most likely came from Cabelas but I will have to ask my dad to see where he got them as they were a gift to me. If I get a chance I will try to figure out how to post some pics. They are really just your basic jig with a round head, 2 beads and a tail.

S
steelhead_stalkers
No problem, you don't have to post a pic, I know what ones you are talking about. Thanks again for the info. Hard as nails is a product you can get at the beauty stores. Its a hard clear coat. Good luck.

G
GreenDrifter
I like to use puff paint for tee shirts. Its soft so it absorbs the impact from the bottom and the paint wont chip off.

B
BobberDown
Oncorhynchus said:
I tie a lot of my own jigs and the jig heads i use normally chip pretty fast but i have never noticed it effecting the fish much. I have caught just as many on chipped jigs as unchipped jigs. Now nightmare jigs (black tail red body white head) I do cover the head with a layer of head cement it seems to help keep them from chipping for a time because i think them having a white head is important. I will have to try tough as nails and see how that works.

that is to bad you might want to take a look at my jig heads they will not chip easy i will tell you that for sure and they are priced very well with boulk priceing avalible

i would say the best way to tuch up your jigs would be to use viynle jig paint it is tught as it gets but you have to dip them in white than the color than a clear but it wont make that much of a difrance to the fish

S
steelhead_stalkers
That's why I use dumbbell eyes on all of mine. Realistic, no chipped paint and good for the environment!!

O
Oncorhynchus
Thanks man nice priceing when i need to restock i will get ahold of you need to get tieing for late winters and summers with some nightmare jigs.

Last edited:
B
BobberDown
Oncorhynchus said:
Thanks man nice priceing when i need to restock i will get ahold of you need to get tieing for late winters and summers with some nightmare jigs.

sweet thank you