Jig fishing

T
Teo
I had a couple of questions about fishing with jigs. Do any of you use a float with a jig? If you do, do you give the jig a little twitch now and then or do you just let it drift as if you were fishing with a float and spawn sacs. If you don't use a float, do you give the jig a little action or do you just let it drift along the bottom? And what are you favorite jigs or jig colors? Black?,Pink?, Orange, Red? or some combination? And what sizes? 1/8 oz.? 1/16 oz.?

Thanks
T

Last edited:
M
Mike123
Dead drift is most productive...

For coho twitching can produce strike though.. ;)

I typically use 1/4 and 1/8 oz. in the winter with high to med flows.. low flows I'll use 1/16 and sometimes 1/32.

Just about any color will work in the right time and water color.. experiment with colors. Obviously, my favorite pattern is nightmare. It's worked for me in EVERY water condition I've ever fished. White head, red body, black tail.
Those little buggy looking Aero jigs kill me a lot of fish.

Last edited:
M
mgdguy
Fishing a jig under float is my fav :) I have caught steel both with a still jig through the hole, and with a slight twitch through the hole, twitching/moving the jig closer to the shore as the float moves downriver every 5-10 feet.

The key to jig fishing (for me) are these three things: 1) find a good 'fishy' stretch of river that isn't moving too fast. A slow to medium walking pace is as fast as you want your bobber to move. 2) find the depth of the water you are fishing, and keep your jig 6-12 inches from the bottom. 3) be in a hole that's holding fish!

Oh and 4) if you aren't confident in your jig color/size, switch up.

If you are doing all those right and not catching, chances are you aren't doing #3 ;) Move to a different hole, find the depth again, and fish.

Good luck!

I
imfishing
Jig Fishing

Jig Fishing

- Greetings Mighty Offers -

You all seem pretty knowledgeable about this topic, So I'll ask my $64K Question.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

When I tie on a Night Mare Jig in the 1/16 to 1/8 flavor [Aero Jigs],

Which knot should I use to secure my jig to my main line?...

and...

Which way should the knot fish?...
I mean should the knot in the hole of the jigs head fish mainline perpendicular or mainline parallel?

Anyhow thanks again.

A
adambomb
imfishing said:
- Greetings Mighty Offers -

You all seem pretty knowledgeable about this topic, So I'll ask my $64K Question.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

When I tie on a Night Mare Jig in the 1/16 to 1/8 flavor [Aero Jigs],

Which knot should I use to secure my jig to my main line?...

and...

Which way should the knot fish?...
I mean should the knot in the hole of the jigs head fish mainline perpendicular or mainline parallel?

Anyhow thanks again.

I wondered the same thing about jig orientation. I found after a few casts my knot would slide forward causing the jig to drift tail down. I asked a guy who makes and sells a lot of jigs and he said that he always sets his knot all the way back so that the jig drifts tail up if not horizontal. He said that tail down is very unnatural, and I agree. I have not jig fished very much since gaining this insight, as to compare my catch rates, but hopefully that will change in the next couple days.;)

B
BobberDown
man this is my faverite thread jig fishing my pashoin the most produtive way is most defintley a drag free dead drift i like to fish medium speed water med to fast walk a lot but do well in slow water at times to you would definetley want to use a float and one of the most important parts of your set up is your float choise and weighting it write so it stands up and is balnced write so you can see those nice sudle stricks thats write your float will not always go down so watch carfulley some time it will just stop for a sec or might rock wierd anything that does not look like a rock could be a fish i have hooked a lot of fish with out my bobber ever going under. and coloers well lets see hot pinks, reds, shrimp pink, cerise, black, bright purple, white and many combos go take a look at my web page if you want to see al of the jig kits are jigs i personally fish the float kits have my personal favrite jigs in them give or take a few amd head color pearl pink, pearl white, pearl orange, hot pink , cerise, black, purple,

as to the way you should tie on your jig i personaly use the rivers inlet knote but other wise i would say duoble improved klinch would be your best 2 knotes
after you tie your knot you whant to turn it on the eye of the hook so it points tords the point of the hook this will make your jig ride level or just slitley head down witch is the proper way the jig should drift a level profile looks much more natural the a tail down look
when you turn your knot on your jig like i have discribed it is called coking your jig if you have not bean doing this it could most deffintley lead you to more fish! i hope this info helps good luck guys
useing a float with out a jig is nowen as twitching it works very well for coho and chumes steelhead will hit them to i just dont twitch for steelhead persnaly but i do for ho's and chums what a blast

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
Fishing with just a jig directly to your main line is a lot of fun in frog water. (water that isn't moving much) Just cast and reel SLOWLY!!!!! They dont hit if you reel fast or moderate. Only slow.

If your drifting I would use a bobber in large rivers (Sandy, Clackamas) but in Small Stream Situations I would use Just a jig.

C
Cracker
Teo said:
I had a couple of questions about fishing with jigs. Do any of you use a float with a jig? If you do, do you give the jig a little twitch now and then or do you just let it drift as if you were fishing with a float and spawn sacs. If you don't use a float, do you give the jig a little action or do you just let it drift along the bottom? And what are you favorite jigs or jig colors? Black?,Pink?, Orange, Red? or some combination? And what sizes? 1/8 oz.? 1/16 oz.?

Thanks
T
I always use a float. Either a Thill type or a Beau Mack sliding bobber with a in-line weight. Just let the jig float along with the current. Make sure that the jig is perpendicular to your line by pulling the knot down towards the body of the jig.

B
bigsteel
when your jig is floating down river should it be directly under the float or should it trail the float?

C
Cracker
bigsteel said:
when your jig is floating down river should it be directly under the float or should it trail the float?

Directly under. If it trails the float, the head will end up in front of the body.

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
whats the most likely cause of it trailing???

J
JeannaJigs
bigsteel said:
Not enough weight with too fast of a current. Up your float size and shot your line.

C
Cracker
bigsteel said:

If you don't mend your line properly it could get caught in a faster lane and pull your float along and your jig will follow.

B
bigsteel
i think its a combo of both,,,,not enough weight,,,,and proper mending with the faster current....thanks for the tips

B
BobberDown
well your jig should be slitly down stream from your float your weight be it an in line weight or shot should be right under your float or slitley down stream and when i say slitley down stream it will only be a few inches if you weight and balance your float to the proper water spead you are fishing your float should always stick strate up in the air or slitley point up stream. that is why useing a sigar shapen float like a west coast or a raven is the best way to go it is easy to read if you balince it right it should stand up and it will let you see how your drift is going if your speed is right if you are ticking the bottum if you are getting a sudle strick thats right your bobber will not allways go down i have hooked a lot of fish with out my float ever going under water a lot of people miss a lot of fish because they think your float needs to go under water for there to be a fish there. that is why i dont ever recomend the round floats or any thing with out a stem that stem is how i read my float often time if i am running a slideing float you will see me put the secont smallest corky on the top of my float i start with a boober stoper than the little bead than the corky than my float than a bead than my float weight than leader than jig or bait this helps so much. it will help you read your float much better if your corky is not standing up somthing is not right this is one of those tips that will help you become a much better float fisher man easeshaly when you use a float and bait because it helps you to see your float is balanced right durning your drift you can tell if you are getting line drag and you need to mend your line because over mending is not good to much mending will pull you rite out of the zone and every time you mend your line your jig does some very unnatural movements not to menshoin you can see evan the most sudle of stricks befor it is to late i hope this helps thanks dan

A
adambomb
Today was my first day jig/bobber fishing with my new 10'6" Gloomis. WOW, I knew it would make a difference, but I had no idea that it would totally change the game. In a good way of course. I'm glad I hung on to my old 8' rod because I wouldn't want 10'6" in a small, heavily wooded mountain stream

M
Mike123
adambomb said:
Today was my first day jig/bobber fishing with my new 10'6" Gloomis. WOW, I knew it would make a difference, but I had no idea that it would totally change the game. In a good way of course. I'm glad I hung on to my old 8' rod because I wouldn't want 10'6" in a small, heavily wooded mountain stream

I envy you. :lol: Wish I had a 10'6 Loomis!

S
steelhead_stalkers
Me too. I have the blank but no components for it. I also have a 13'0 with all of the components but haven't had it built up yet. That one should be fun.

B
BobberDown
ya i love the 10'6" rods i run a 10'6" lamiglass XMG50 it is sweet i am working on boulding one with a split carbon fiber back handle and titaneum guides 10'6" is my favrote lenth but i would love to try the loomise 13 or 13'6" float rod for some of the bigger rivers

M
Mike123
Bobberdown, if you ever need a tutor for English class, let me know. I may be able to help. ;) I'm just jokin' with ya.. :D