Jetty and bay fishing techniques

T
TJR_84
Heading to Newport to do some fishing. I do a lot of jetty and bay fishing but im wondering what others use for baits and setups. Any good spots or shared techniques would appreciated!

Diehard
Diehard
had some luck on sandshrimp for lings down there white grubs seem to work good to hope theres something new there for ya good luck

Reactions: bigsteel
O
Oregonite
Jetty Fishing

Jetty Fishing

TJR_84, I've always had pretty good luck Night fishing over the years with the old lead-headed rubber worms. They're coming out with a lot of new tackle now-days which I haven't tried yet! But I've always have good luck with these for Sea Bass. Good Luck !!

• 005.jpg
R
redsox0407
Just out of curiosity, Probably a stupid Q but how do you fish those jigs, do ya just cast them out and jig them back in? Thanks in advance.- Troy

S
sportsmanlio
I usually tie a snap swivel to main my mainline, then I attach a "crappie rig." I put a 2 oz cannoball or pyramid sinker on the snap swivel end (bottom) of the crappie rig. I then put a #6 or #8 snelled single baitholder hook through the hook arms of the crappie fig. I use pieces of peeled shrimp, mussels, and/or 1 inch Gulp! Camo Sandworms. Catches a ton of surfperch, cabezon, California halibut, greenling, and even small rockfish. Use this setup at night to catch lingcod off the beach (usually 8-16").

If you want to catch big rockfish from the shore, go at night. Use a really noisy topwater (like a jitterbug) or use a Wild Eye Swim Shad in either pearl or Firetiger colors. You can also use grubs or senkos, but I have had the best luck with the shad. Prepare to lose some tackle, though, because you want to get into the rocks where the fish are holding.

As for your last question, if you use curlytail grubs, cast out and let it sink to the bottom. Then either reel super slowly (but constantly) or reel about 1-3 times, let sink, and repeat. Your best bet for catching fish from the shore during the day is with the bait rig.

Be careful if you go out at night, though. I have had a few really close calls jumping around on wet, jagged rocks in the dark. Wear shoes with good grip, coarse rubber-soled socks, or if the rocks are somewhat smooth, go barefoot.

Reactions: Alexey and Orange_Caddis
R
redsox0407
WOW! WOW! Let me say that again WOW! By far the best answer I've ever received from anyone any where! I think that is the in-depth tie by tie instruction that a lot us from the " I could really use some help" group are really searching for when we ask those questions! Thank you! I'm doing some of the same but I think you might have filled in the gaps. I hope. I thank you again for your response.! -Troy

S
sportsmanlio
That is what this forum is for. It took me about 3 years to get that rig down, but now I can help people with it. That is how we build reputation points on this forum, as well :)

Good luck, and I hope this catches some fish for you. My boss and his wife tried this from the Brookings S. Jetty for about 2 hours and caught about half a dozen fish in that time with no real experience in this area. I hope to get back out there in September. Living in Klamath Falls means I only get to go to the coast 2-3 times per year, but it is worth it every time!

Reactions: NWfisher24 and bigsteel
B
Barkeater
Rookie to the Salt

Rookie to the Salt

Sportsmanlio,

I will be in Yachats fishing the rocks for the first time Sept 13-14, if you are out there in the area let me know. We are renting house on the beach and I will buy you a glass of wine.

S
sportsmanlio
Barkeater, I really appreciate the gesture. If I am around, I will take you up on the offer. However, I help out with a high school football team, and they have a game that weekend vs. Butte Falls, so I don't think I can venture all the way to Yachats...though I would love to.

I hope you have a great time on the beach; catch a ton of fish!

B
bythesea
first of all that is one long ass jetty!! got out there around 1:00 hooked-up at least 20 times lots of cabs. lost one big ling didn't have my net close enough:naughty: bit right through my braid.fished till about 4:30 and headed back in I stopped in the triangle to try for my last ling tossed out a few times and bam!! I'm glad I stopped. Here's a few pics this jig worked all day w/1oz I did lose 1 .sorry about the blurry pic that's about where I was when I caught the last ling....FISH-ON!!!!

DSCN0045.jpg DSCN0044.jpg DSCN0046.jpg

Last edited:
P
PNW Sam
Nice!!

I've done a little jetty fishing out of Garibaldi and some jigging around the piers in Yaquina, but haven't been able to hook up with anything yet. Glad to see you were successful, great looking fish.

S
steelhead_slayer
Good stuff. would love to give it a try. thanks for sharing your jig

C
CoastieFlo
Lings and bass have been biting real good off the jetty down there lately, we have guys coming in the store every day that are limiting out.

C_Run
C_Run
Nice catch as usual. You even revealed your top secret lure. I'm going to have to get that color for my collection.

B
bythesea
Ha...That's my secret lure...don't tell rum runner though!! lol :lol:

D
dtikey
nice job glad you had fun and yes it is one big a$$ jetty

R
rum runner
congrats i need to get out there really bad thats a good color for lings to it would resemble a small green ling prety much ling chocolate lol

B
bythesea
this weekends not look'en to bad.. only that high tide is @ 7&8 pm,could be a good time to get some evening bass ?