Jetties In the morning

O
OBP Turtle 33
Heading out to the SOUTH Jetty in the morning at low tide hopefully will catch something "I have never done it so I am not sure" I was told its like Largemouth Fishing "which I can do" but in the ocean and what not. Hopefully going to get into some Surf Perch as well although not sure what beaches to hit.

B
Born2Fish55
North Coast jetties...

North Coast jetties...

I normally fish the Jetties at Tillamook, Nehalem, and Columbia, but commonly fish all of the jetties and rocks as available. I will never say that this type of fishing is similar to bass fishing other than the fish bite when the bait of choice is presented to them correctly. I fish weighted and unweighted fish finder rigs, single hook with PowerBait 'GULP' peeler crabs and grubs. I also do a variation to bobber fishing with a long line bobber rig with a 'GULP' minnow or crab under it. Also any "fresh" bait such as clam neck, squid, fish, sanddabs, and/or kelp worms free floated will pick up Surf Perch, Rockbass and Lingcod.

M
Mike123
Went there the other day and the bite was awesome!
12lb mainline, 10lb leader.. Slider rig with 2ft dropper and 2oz. of weight.
2.5ft leader and size 2-4 hook.

Had to fish snap 10lb line like it was nothing... not sure what they were. the other fish were all greenling. Also Caught a keep crab and greenling at the same time! :shock:

B
Born2Fish55
North Coast Jetties...

North Coast Jetties...

Yeah, you rig similar to mine....
:D

**Fish finder Rig **
Slider swivel with 4 - 6 inch dropper of 10# test to sinker 1/2 - 4 oz.
Additional 2 - 4 foot leader to hook.
;)

**Bobber setup**
Tie double knot in line 15 - 20 feet up the mainline...
Slide two 'free slide' glass beads onto mainline...
Place 'free slide' snap swivel on mainline...
Slide two more 'free slide' glass beads onto mainline...
Tie barrel swivel to mainline...
Tie 2 - 3 feet on leader to barrel swivel and tie hook to other end...
Attach large bobber to 'free slide' snap swivel on mainline...
:)

I use 30# Spiderwire or Firewire braid for my mainline and 15# flourocarbon for my leaders. If I keep getting bit through on the leader, I change up to 1 foot 20# mono with a 6 - 10 inch wire leader. Everytime I been bit through off of the Jetty or Rocks, I normally end up with a big Ling or a Shark at the other end. I figure if I get bit through after that, "I need a bigger Jetty!"
I once hooked a huge Salmon or White Shark out by the 'dogleg' on the South Jetty of the Columbia, about 8 - 10 foot or so. He won the battle rather quickly.
:(

M
Mike123
I had trouble getting bites with a short dropper.. kept getting crab gnawing at my sandshrimp! Also I caught a cabezon while trolling for sea run cutts! I had some flashers and smiley blade type wedding ring with sandshrimp tail and worm tails on the end! The thing slammed it then just was like reeling in a clump of sea weed. :lol:

B
Born2Fish55
That is the problem when I fish the 'bayside' of the Jetty.....
Crabs and cabbage!

Not the problem if I get out towards the end of the Jetty on the Ocean side. Also if you keep getting Crabs, try using a small cork bobber about 6" from the bait, floats just above the Crab population.

I've decided to give it a try on Sunday, see what's biting out there.
Low tide is at 10:30 or so... Might try for a Salmon or Blue Shark... Have some fun and maybe end up with a cooler full of fillets.

Last edited:
M
Mike123
Born2Fish55 said:
That is the problem when I fish the 'bayside' of the Jetty.....
Crabs and cabbage!

Not the problem if I get out towards the end of the Jetty on the Ocean side. Also if you keep getting Crabs, try using a small cork bobber about 6" from the bait, floats just above the Crab population.

I've decided to give it a try on Sunday, see what's biting out there.
Low tide is at 10:30 or so... Might try for a Salmon or Blue Shark... Have some fun and maybe end up with a cooler full of fillets.

Good tip! Or maybe even just a big corkie 6" from bait?
There were huge clumps of bait fish... (candlefish, needlefish.. not sure?)

B
Born2Fish55
Mike123 said:
Good tip! Or maybe even just a big corkie 6" from bait?
There were huge clumps of bait fish... (candlefish, needlefish.. not sure?)

Yeah, big corkie might give enough lift plus some color to draw the fish over to the bait.