Jdr

J

joesnuffy

Well I'm off to the John Day this weekend. Temps are going to max out in the triple digits...... argh!

Maybe I'll get a few Bass Pictures on here next week.

L

lizardman

if you don't have any luck there Joe, come up here and I will show you a spot on the Umatilla guaranteed to catch smallies.... but not guaranteed to produce any monsters (I have caught a lot of dinks out of there, but have seen a few two to three pounders taken).

Dave

J

joesnuffy

I've been told that when the water is low like it is now that the Bass fishing picks up. Also that you can't get boats through so there are fweer people. Besides, who's crazy enough to go down there in that heat. Wait, tha would be me. lol

L

lizardman

It's about a 1/2 mile walk from River Road which is just east of Umatilla.

Walk down to the river and walk across the river to an island (where we used to park our trucks until the land owner blocked the vehicle access off due to people trashing the place with mattresses and old appliances), then walk across the river to a rock bluff. Just upriver from the rock bluff is a small waterfall and from the rock bluff to the west side of the river (20 feet or so) is the main channel (8-12 feet deep now). Just down river from the rock bluff is a small island about 100 feet away and between the two is a small sand bar. From the sandbar to the east side the river forms a pool that is 4-6 feet deep and slow current.

Fish the pool, fish along either side of the sandbar or fish right below the rock bluff (it is undercut and has a reverse current going up to the waterfall).

Good fishing there for salmon and steelhead when it has enough water for them to get there.

It is a great place to watch osprey, otter, and other wildlife.

Dave

C

c_13_b

Give the report...

Give the report...

Let us know how you did. I would like to know as I will be goin for a float there soon. Hope you don't get too baked...;)

J

joesnuffy

well you won't be floating it anytime soon. the water is too low for drift boats.

in one day, 3 of us caught near 100 bass. Nothing huge and most were small but we caught some decent ones.

fished mostly topwater just so we could see the action of the strike. the water was really warm, in the mid 70's i think.

the sun cooked anything that was in it. hot hot hot!