JC Pond Steelhaed

G
grampa ron
I was really surprised to see a Steelhaed in this good of condition after having been in the pond since November. Caught on a fly. I was going to keep it but changed my mind.

• sterelhead 40311.jpg
troutdude
troutdude
WOW! It is still in good shape. Nice catch Ron!

H
Hawk
Thats a Beauty Bro.
Well Done.
:D:D
:clap::clap:
:cool:

T
Throbbit _Shane
looks like that pond is heavily pressured lol

nice catch!

brandon4455
brandon4455
definitely could have kept that one. didn't look too bad. nice fish :clap:

D
Drew9870
Throbbit _Shane said:
looks like that pond is heavily pressured lol

nice catch!

JC Pond gets brooders more than most stocker ponds (known for the brooders), and when brooders get stocked, everybody wants one (I believe it got 25 sometime during the week). Some people travel from Portland to JC Pond just for stockers (1hr 45min drive about), I've never been there, but I can tell you it gets hectic.

Jeez that would've made a lot of bait for me :D.

brandon4455
brandon4455
ive fished jcp once and we got there at first light like we wre salmon fishing or somthing. my uncle and i have caught some very big fish out of there. including a brookie that weighed atleast 5 lbs on a bubble and fly combo. that place spits out some nice fish.

D
Drew9870
Only if the hatchery truck spits some nice fish into the pond, not like they spawn or holdover for 5 years lol, I'm pretty sure you had that figured out though lol, if not, then :(...... ;):lol:

I've heard of those Brooder Brookies, they put some in St. Louis last year as well, must have been some kind of experiment/test because I (being so young) haven't heard of them being stocked any other year.

troutdude
troutdude
I've driven past JCP hundreds of times, literally. It sits probably less than 100' OFF of Hwy. 99 between J. City and Eugene. It's a lot like Walter Wirth in Salem. JCP gets hit harder and by more peeps, than I have ever seen anywhere...period (even Wirth). I've never fished there. But, it would be a decent place for little kids and peeps w/ disabilities or elderly folks.

N
nwkiller
it is defenetly a great place for kids and stuff and very pressured....any one that feels like fishing there throw any lure with the a rainbow pattern, those steelies and brooders love them......never heard of brookies in there......its quite the hole lol.......great fish ron, your a pro with those flies!!

T
troutramp
Will that fish live after being released after being on the stringer? I am just asking cause I dont know?

B
beaverfan
troutramp said:
Will that fish live after being released after being on the stringer? I am just asking cause I dont know?

Pretty unlikely.

C
colbypearson
nice fish!

brandon4455
brandon4455
Drew9870 said:
Only if the hatchery truck spits some nice fish into the pond, not like they spawn or holdover for 5 years lol, I'm pretty sure you had that figured out though lol, if not, then :(...... ;):lol:

I've heard of those Brooder Brookies, they put some in St. Louis last year as well, must have been some kind of experiment/test because I (being so young) haven't heard of them being stocked any other year.
yeah it is quite puzzling.. i havent heard of them bein stocked for a while.. but man were they agressive fish.. when they stocked them at jcp you always caught the brookies and not rainbows.. they were a hell of a fight too.

T
the_intimidator03
actually last fall they put about 5000 brooks that were netted out of gold lake. ranging from 5-16 inches i believe. it was in part of an effort to reduce the brookie population in gold lake so the native trout could survive up there.

Besides that, Nice fish almost golden

T
troutramp
M
Marvin's Guide Service
Nice,

B
bran_man
Yeah the fish looked like in pretty good shape.... on the outside. But most likely white/bad meat, no good for eating (since the last time they dumped overstock steel was probably in novemeber-december -ish). Not bad for out of jcp though! Sure a lot more fun than the average 8' planters in there. But yeah I would have put it back too! If you want steelhead they are coming into our local river areas now so go out and catch a fresh one! Good job Ron!!! bet it was fun!

Y
Yohan
troutramp said:

beaverfan said:
Pretty unlikely.
+1

troutramp said:
Ya I did'nt think so

Nice fish! If it was put on a stringer maybe you should have kept it though... just my opinion

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
NIce steelie!