JC Pond pigs

G
grampa ron
I fish at the pond as much as possible. When I do I like to think that I leave no trace behind that I was there. I see so much trash left behind. I have picked up quite a bit of it. It mostly consists of Power Bait bottles and the seal under the lid and empty drink containers. The other really bad thing is the fishing line that the pigs have pulled off their reels bcause they are too dumb to keep it from getting all twisted. Do these same people just throw their trash on the floor in their house or in their yard? I'm guessing it is so.

If you see someone leaving anything behind, point it out to them. If they don't respond, point it out to everyone nearby. Remind them, it is very illegal to litter anywhere. I will turn them in if they get nasty.

My other rant is the people that crowd in on someone when they see the person catch a fish. The pigs have concept of manners at all!

Probly nothing will ever change there, but if the decent people out there point these things out it could'nt hurt.

Reactions: mahmichael
troutdude
troutdude
Cannot agree with you more Ron. Keep up the good work, on behalf of the decent folks.

D
DYJ
The gene pool needs a little chlorine, if ya know what I mean.

Good job on tryin to make a difference. I always pick up a handful of garbage and line at the hatchery holes when I fish there. I think it gives me good fishing karma ;)

18406ej
18406ej
Dear Ron,

Although I have never been to JC Pond I have fished other stock-and-take ponds and lakes up in the Salem Area. While I have met some very nice and very helpful fellow anglers, it is sad to note that the ratio of these good people to the much less neighborly and messy fishermen is at least 1:40.

You are correct in your observation of angling behaviors on the part of this larger group. You or me might see someone hook a fish, and if we are close by we would quickly reel in our gear so that the person with the fish on will have room to work if needed. On the other hand, I have seen people literally sprint all the way from the far side of the pond to where the fish vs angler fight is in progress, only to throw their gear almost right on top of the attempted catch. I guess the theory is that if one just had luck here, I will too. I can't be too judgmental in this however, because I know that some people are angling to catch their daily food supply. Still, most of this group is just wanting a catch, and they are the same group seen running over when the stocking truck arrives so that they can cast into the discharge.

In regard to the littering, some people are lazy, some people are just that way. I grew up in a very clean house while living at what the government considered just above the poverty level (both parents private school teachers and seven siblings). I will never forget my amazement when I was a new police officer, being dispatched to a house with a littered yard and an interior stacked with trash, diapers, pet droppings and rotten food. I figured that this was just an anomaly, until I started seeing house after house after house in this condition. So maybe the cause is that these litterers just don't know any better.

EJ

T
tomriker
i thought this post was going to be about a PIG that you caught at the JC pond... woops.. i agree tho litterbugs need to be thinned out

J
JTLunker
Ron, I love that you take the time to pickup after others. I always pick up a at least a grocery bag of trash where I fish and I have cleaned up people's stuff in front of them before. Some stopped me and apologized for their inconsiderate gesture, some get mad and say I was gonna pick that up, some get mad and cuss, and some make fun of me "janitor". I just smile and say "I like my lake to look good" and hope they change their behavior. I try not to judge people to harshly for for a lack of social economic status. I have never been to JCP, but Salish pond gets pretty messy as well as Hagg. If we all smile and clean up our area maybe people will learn that they should value the places where they seek recreation or their table fare. Sorry about the rant. Well done DYJ, thanks for this post.

L
Lulugonlolo
It really takes very little effort to bring an extra plastic bag and spend 5-10 minutes cleaning up the immediate area. Imagine if most people did that. We'd probably have more access to private real estate that's been otherwise cut off from those without any consideration. I'm happy to see the replies to this thread so far.

I don't know how other's feel about this...but I was on one of the coastal rivers recently and saw about 20-25 elk carcasses (ribs, head, legs, etc) just dumped in different spots along the side of the road (which runs along the river) along with some of the tools and trash from the process. I don't hunt, so I don't understand why hunter's couldn't have just left the carcasses where they were killed. Seems like leaving remains just draws in predators (scavengers) and puts fishermen at risk...or maybe that's the intent... to discourage fishing in the area? I probably won't be cleaning up after these folks.

M
mahmichael
I also came here for the PIG fish! But I'm more happy to see these post and that people are caring to clean. I did clean and I'll clean more!