I've gone to the dark side. Help me.................................

troutdude

troutdude

OK. Here's the scoop.

This is my 2,000 post. So, I decided to do something totally whacked.

I am almost 50. I am an Oregonian native (6th gen on dad's side) as well. And I have spent about 98% of my time, either fishing with spinning gear or with level winds / bait caster set ups. I have only just barely dabbled once, within the deep dark recesses of fly fishing.

So today I got to thinking. I know, a very dangerous endeavor for my limited cranial capacity. But what the heck. You only live once I hear.

I said to myself..."self; you have recently witnessed [via the "action" here on the forum] the amazing fly catching abilities of LilSalmon (and her steelie nate on a 6 weight). You have also witnessed her talented knack and trout catching abilities w/ a dry as well [in person]."

"Plus, you have also witnessed--first hand--the wizardry of BigSteel and finess of Ninja with their respective fly fishing weaponry as well. So, self, said I, why not take the plunge into the mysterious realm of the fly too? After all, self, you do have a nice 7' Fenwick combo 6 weight spin / fly rod neatly tucked away amongst the rest of your gear. So, why not put it to good use?"

So, yes my kindred spirits, I have taken the proverbial plunge. I have just ventured out and purchased a fly reel from a nice young chap on Craig's list. Plus, the reel already has 6 weight floating line, backing, leader and tippet all rip roarin' and ready to go. And for the record, I invited that young feller to check out our mahvelous forum too.

But, herein lies my dilemma. Does turning to the Dark Side...

also include free Psychiatric care??? Or, can I just lean on my forum chums--and take two aspirin in the morning--as needed? :pray::pray::pray:

Last edited:
G

GDBrown

You can do it any way you like, but like the song says.... Once you check in you can never leave!

Welcome to the Light!!!! We're glad to have you stop by for a visit!

GD

G

ghostcow

Welcome to the fold! I've had my 5 wt for one year and ....just bought a 3 wt because well because me want it, ugh. So for me the descent into madness has well and truly begun soon I envision myself stooped over a table wrapping hooks with squirrel tale and grizzley hackle and flash-a-boo or some such non-sense. Why, well it is just so darn cool watching those little trout eye my dry fly and then slowly come up to my fly and eat it.
Again, welcome to this side, which really is slightly different home on the fishing block.

T

troutramp

welcome to the Dark side if you need any help ~other than psyc let me know

troutdude

troutdude

But what you really need is a pair of waders and a float tube!

GD

Already have all o' dat! Plus, booties, wading boots w/ felt, etc. I have used my tube w/ a bubble and woolly buggers for years anyway. I have caught hundreds of trouts that way. So, that was another reason to "go for it".

Troutski

Troutski

Welcome

Welcome

Koarker boots or slip on's over your felt boots. It is like four wheel drive for your feet, those rocks and logs get mighty slippery...IMHO

Chuck

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
I just picked up a new pair of Kocker boots. Much better then an old pair of convers tennis shoes with felt glude on! You can change the bottoms to have corked soles or just felt. Korkers

Regarding coming to the dark side, not to worry just think of it as another tool in your tool box and another ton of money blown on gear!:)

Also now that you mention being 50 and a life long Oregonian you have almost met the requirements for the free pioneer fishing license, you just have to wait until you are 70 to pick it up.;)

Last edited:
N

ninja2010

now you can throw the reeeeely, reeeeeeely tiny stuff with no weight; or tie on a weighted fly or nymph and dredge the river bed; or tie on a thingamabobber and fish a jig - you can do it all with the fly rod. oh, and you can also chuck a spinner... teeeny tiny #0s and #1s and get it out to that seam.

but a word of warning... it is addictive.

M

Markcanby

When I first started reading this post I thought John Montana had shown you the light.:lol::clap: Good luck with the bug stick

E

everett464

Awesome! You are gonna love it.

Funny thing: I jut wrote a post last week, about a trip to the "darkside," only the darkside was gear fishing.

S

Sinkline

Congrats on your decision to expand your fishing prowess by learning the fly!

Learn the secrets of the fly and you will catch large stillwater trout through all seasons. :cool:

I am 52 and have fished Oregon stillwaters with the fly for over 30-years. I can tell ya from experience you will love the learning on your way to becoming a confident flyfisher.

Bye the way, this is my first post (reply) on "OFF" so hello to all. :)

Randy

Last edited:
Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Sinkline......welcome aboard! Hope you got warmed up those pictures are great but look cold!;)

W

waco

wellcome to OFF you'll have a great experience here!!!!! this is the best fishing forum ever!! by the way those are NICE PICTURES!!!

L

lilsalmon

Hey troutdude...its about time!!!!! I just got Jeanna's pontoon put together (that she sooo graciously loaned me). Going to try it on Olallie as soon as I can...Bigsteel and the forum taught me what I know about fly fishing..they don't know it but observing Onthefly, irishrover and his spey, ninja and his spey, guides and others I may have not mentioned have taught me a lot also....I know more I just have a hard time remembering...but when I am out on the water whatever I know seems to work...caught 10 small trout today on the Little North Fork.....yay!!!!!

B

bigsteel

way to go troutdude,,,,,you are evolving nicely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lets go swing some flies

S

Sinkline

Troutdude, If your new found flyfishing interest includes learning stillwater methods I have a recommendation for you. There are many books and videos available for learning stillwater flyfishing. In my opinion, you can't do better than the books and videos featuring BC stillwater flyfisher, Brian Chan. Mr. Chan is one of the world's premier authorities on stillwater trout flyfishing and he teaches in a very non-pretentious fashion. In other words, Mr. Chan's teaching comes from his soul and not from the standpoint of selling a sponsor's product.

In particular, I recommend the DVD, "Expert Techniques for Stillwater Fly Fishing". In this one DVD you will learn all about entomolgy regarding stillwater and the presentation techniques to fish the "bugs" involved. Armed with the information you will learn from Mr. Chan you can attack any of your favorite stillwaters and with some adaptation to your particular body of water, have good sucess.

Back in the late 70's when I first started flyfishing there was few learning resources available for stillwater. With the resources available for beginning anglers today the learning curve is greatly reduced.

Keep in mind, flyfishing is not near as complicated as some would have you believe. After you learn the "ropes" you will learn that only a few patterns and a few lines is all that is required to catch fish year around. There is no need for boxes and boxes of various flys in all sizes and colors (unless you want them of course) to have constant success with a flyrod. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that a stillwater flyfisher can catch fish year around with as few as 3-4 different patterns.

Good luck, and enjoy the learning.

Randy

Last edited: