It's that time again.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Yes the yearly fishing dues are coming up shortly.
I suppose the 2022 license is on sale as of today.
I can't seem to find the page that list license by the new year (2022), though.
Then this year presents a new question (for me anyways).
I will be 51 Days from my 70th birthday on the first.
And though I have met the more than 5 year residency requirement, I can't find out if I must wait until my birthday to purchase a new license or if ODFW allows a grace period.
As I normally like to crab during Jan. and Feb. I can't wait for my birthday to purchase a new license.

Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Not 100% sure, but you'll likely have to wait.

The licensing system in this state is one of the best scams they run, I'm all for funding all the extra management, I don't have a (major) issue with the price, but expiring on the calendar year instead of a year from date of purchase is ridiculous.

Other than all the extra sales, is there another benefit?

plumbertom
plumbertom
NKlamerus said:
Not 100% sure, but you'll likely have to wait.

The licensing system in this state is one of the best scams they run, I'm all for funding all the extra management, I don't have a (major) issue with the price, but expiring on the calendar year instead of a year from date of purchase is ridiculous.

Other than all the extra sales, is there another benefit?
Year end expiration is all I've ever known. Until just this year in CA from what I read, CA and AZ both states where I resided always were Calendar year licenses.

S
Snopro
NKlamerus said:
I don't have a (major) issue with the price, but expiring on the calendar year instead of a year from date of purchase is ridiculous.
Make fishing on New Years Day an annual tradition so you get your money's worth.šŸ„³

I don't think it's an Oregon only thing. Are there any states selling annual licenses from the date of purchase?

WA is less logical. It's an annual license but it starts on April 1st. I imagine that tricks many into noncompliance.

troutdude
troutdude
I've held an adult angling license each year, for 43 years in a row now. I only recall a calendar year license, from January 1 - December 31st; no matter what the purchase date was.

So I'll echo Snopro's idea of starting on 1/1/21. ;-) Or you can wait until your birthday and get the less expensive license.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Asking the same question the second time produced a direct intelligible response.

"If you wish to purchase your 2022 license for use on January 1st it will be full price as the senior pricing won't start until your Birthday. Therefore you will need to wait until your birthday to qualify for the discounted license. There is no grace period. I wish I had better news for you."

S
Snopro
Nice stripers. Bucket list fish for me.

Think of it this way, how much quality fishing will you have in Jan and the first two weeks of Feb anyway. If it was me I'd just cold turkey it and wait for your birthday. Maybe buy a day pass to tide me over.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Snopro said:
Make fishing on New Years Day an annual tradition so you get your money's worth.[emoji3060]

I don't think it's an Oregon only thing. Are there any states selling annual licenses from the date of purchase?

WA is less logical. It's an annual license but it starts on April 1st. I imagine that tricks many into noncompliance.
Florida is from the date you purchase it, 33$ for freshwater and saltwater.

There's some additional special tags (5-10$) if you want to land tarpon or something like that, but most of those are free they just make watch the videos.

Mine always expired the week before red snapper season, before they shut it down for recreational anglers.

Feel like it keeps the whole system balanced, no giant rush of anglers the first week of the year, instead they are fairly evenly spread out, they also do some really really great deals on lifetime licenses if your parents can get you one while your young.

I have friends who have a lifetime saltwater, freshwater, hunting, snook, tarpon, lobster, and auxillary hunting for 400$, just need one before your 4 years old

Back on subject, OP I would wait until your bday as mentioned above, just buy a few day passes to get you through, if it prices lower?

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
I like the license staring 1/1. Itā€™s easy to remember for me. New year, new license.

When Colorado switched it took me a while to catch on, my best policy was that keep buying it on the first day of the year.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Snopro said:

Think of it this way, how much quality fishing will you have in Jan and the first two weeks of Feb anyway. If it was me I'd just cold turkey it and wait for your birthday. Maybe buy a day pass to tide me over.
Mostly I do crabbing during Jan. and Feb.
But I like to fish while the crab pots soak.
Keeps me from being bored and pulling the crab pots too soon.
I've elected to go ahead and buy the full priced license, I'm not actually the one paying for it. My ex-wife likes to pay for it as a Christmas gift which I gratefully accept. As she usually just sends cash for me to purchase it, I was just hoping to save a few dollars this time around.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Snopro said:
Them are CA. Stripers.
I've yet to pursue them here in OR. although I understand there is a fair fishery for them in the Coquille River during the late summer and fall.
Maybe this next year.

Reactions: Snopro