It's almost that time..

J

JeannaJigs

Have unconfirmed reports of a couple 'nooks being taken out of the Siuslaw this week below bridgeport....

Fisherman have a tendency to not be the best sources of information, however.

Anyone been out? I know the Umpqua is startin' to produce a few, my neighbor got one this weekend, but I'm not a big fan of the Umpqua, so, was hopin' for some Siuslaw input.

I do know this...I'm lookin' forward to some tidewater action later this month.

S

steelhead_stalkers

Yes we have been out. Yes there are fish around. :D

T

Thuggin4Life

I too am anxious to get out. If my boat was ready i would be planning an assault on the quaw but i have heard scattered reports and i know people are trying so they are in just not many yet. if I don't get my boat finished soon i may cry. SS ever figure out what the name of that varnish was that you guys used?

S

steelhead_stalkers

Daniel said it was just regular marine varnish that he got at jerry's. He did not remember the name off hand. I am still going to get some pics of it to you soon.

Troutski

Troutski

Have unconfirmed reports of a couple 'nooks being taken out of the Siuslaw this week below bridgeport....

Fisherman have a tendency to not be the best sources of information, however.

Anyone been out? I know the Umpqua is startin' to produce a few, my neighbor got one this weekend, but I'm not a big fan of the Umpqua, so, was hopin' for some Siuslaw input.

I do know this...I'm lookin' forward to some tidewater action later this month.

Oh my...not a fan of the Mighty Umpqua....we must sit down and talk, you have been hanging around the wrong people;)
I feel the exact opposite, other than the Bluebacks I am nursing a 21 year skunk on that river system.:redface:
The Umpqua on the other hand has given me personal record fish in four categories, funny how we get an idea in our heads and it sticks.
Maybe I should take you on a trip down the Umpqua and you can show me the Siuslaw, the worst that can happen is we get skunked again:think: :rolleyes:

Chuck

J

JeannaJigs

Oh my...not a fan of the Mighty Umpqua....we must sit down and talk, you have been hanging around the wrong people;)
I feel the exact opposite, other than the Bluebacks I am nursing a 21 year skunk on that river system.:redface:
The Umpqua on the other hand has given me personal record fish in four categories, funny how we get an idea in our heads and it sticks.
Maybe I should take you on a trip down the Umpqua and you can show me the Siuslaw, the worst that can happen is we get skunked again:think: :rolleyes:

Chuck

Haha well, never had much luck down there and it's a real long drive...throw in that I on occasion get sick if I'm not driving, and it's not always ideal. I just know the Siuslaw, and have more confidence in it, is all. However this year, I branched out and fished other rivers, and only fished it a couple times for steelhead, so maybe this will be my branching out year now that I've got my own boat.

J

JeannaJigs

I too am anxious to get out. If my boat was ready i would be planning an assault on the quaw but i have heard scattered reports and i know people are trying so they are in just not many yet. if I don't get my boat finished soon i may cry. SS ever figure out what the name of that varnish was that you guys used?

You talkin' about varnish for your boat seats? I got some leftover from the rails on my boat, it's a clear coat semi-gloss spar urethane, I'm not gonna be using it if you want it. Stuff looks niiiiiiice. It was kinda expensive, but, worth it.

T

Thuggin4Life

huh could you figure out the name of it so i can compare it to just standard marine varnish. I could get some and use your leftovers maybe. can't wait to be able to target fall nooks even though i should be doing it know.

J

JeannaJigs

Helmsman spar urethane semi-gloss. It's not "marine", but it's the outdoor water proof stuff and is as tough as it comes, seriously. Was recommended from my dad's friend who owns a wood drifter, and several members on here.

T

Thuggin4Life

cool i'll look into it. If i decide to use some you said i could use your left overs too right? I'll make it worth your while once i get the boat on the water.

J

JeannaJigs

Yeah for sure, I'm not sure how much I've got left, but I think it's probably 3/4's of the container left, 'cause I had to buy a second one to complete the job, and barely needed it.

T

TTFishon

Thuggin, I'm game to share my motor for some tidewater fishing. I'm busy this weekend but maybe the weekend of the 20th we can work something out. Or is your boat totally out of commission?

T

Thuggin4Life

oh i got a motor its on the rip tread and the my new toy thread. the boat is out of commision. we could put my motor on your litte boat if you want.

J

JeannaJigs

I sold my little boat and the other 12 footer I have has no title and isn't registered.

I'm in the same boat, or well, ya know...lol My drifter isn't registered 'cause it's never been titled. Hopefully will be getting it titled in the next couple of months if I can afford it, and then will figure out the motor situation from there. I've got my pop's 12 foot mirrocraft.....he won't let his motor touch the salt though. Soooo until the fish push into the upper tidewater, and there's an agreeable slack tide...my boat's parked. lol.

T

TTFishon

I'm in the same boat, or well, ya know...lol My drifter isn't registered 'cause it's never been titled. Hopefully will be getting it titled in the next couple of months if I can afford it, and then will figure out the motor situation from there. I've got my pop's 12 foot mirrocraft.....he won't let his motor touch the salt though. Soooo until the fish push into the upper tidewater, and there's an agreeable slack tide...my boat's parked. lol.

I got a buddy that has a 14 ft Mirrocraft and he's using my motor this weekend at Wickiup. Maybe I can talk him into a tidewater trip. hmmm

J

JeannaJigs

Lol good luck. I'm tryin' to convince my dad's friend to let me bum a seat, but he works weekends only, and I only have weekends off.

C

crusty old fisherman

I been fishing the siuslaw for a lil over 20 yrs and it usually doesn't really start picking up until the first week of september... there will be a few fish here and there between august 1 and sept 1 but odds of catching any numbers of fish is low. I am going to hold off until around the 20th to give it a test run.

I have fished the umpqua many times its always been a mixxed bag for me some times I get a few fish and some times I get the big skunk. the main problem with me and the umpqua is that I fish out of a drift boat with a kicker and when the tide is really flowing its dang hard to run against it to get back to the boat ramp.

I have also fished the yaquina a few times from the embarcadaro out towards the jaws first trip I drilled a nice 25 lb chromer before my first herring ever hit bottom. I kept thinking damn this sucker is deep I havent hit bottom yet them my brain kicked in and I was lie oh crap fsh and i been free spoolin it lol

anyway I would love to learn more about salmon in that area but it seems like most people fish way up river from there. I can tell you this much those fish that close to the ocean flat climb on your herring, but it was kind of a butt puckering fight realizing I had a fish in tow right smack in the middle of sealion central.

I ave also done great dragging kwikfish in tide water on the alsea and on the siuslaw but nothing beats a super fresh herring

anyway I am pretty much retired so I can fish any day of the week just about so maybe one you people and I can hook up and kill some nooks.

Crusty

Last edited: