It is OFFical! The Sandy has a new..

E
eggs
Acclimation pond on BULL RUN!! This is what we(steelheaders) have been begging for... they are now acclimating chinook(for now) up Bull Run by the old powerhouse! This creates a black hole for returning hatchery fish to avoid upriver stray fish. This word just came down a couple hours ago! ODFW STEP is looking for people to help feed them. Fish are in the ponds right now..

You can contact Jeff at jeff.s.fulop@state.or.us to help feed as they need feeding 2 times a day... the Sandy steelheaders will be doing a lot of work with this..

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Hm. NFS gives intent to sue ODFW - now ODFW does this. Coincidence? Sounds like a good step either way.

E
eggs
This has been in the works since marmont dam was removed and ramped up when city of portland requested a waiver for putting in ladders on the 3 bull run dams..... it was just about getting pge land approval.. the sandy has been looking for a new pond when they lost the one at marmont...

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
The timing is just interesting. Wonder if thiswas done earlier, the NFS people would not have made the motions to sue

E
eggs
Yea most likely due to the 'take' of esa listed fish for broodstock issue... but would/will help on the stupid high number of stray hatchery nooks upriver spawning part of the lawsuit

Irishrover
Irishrover
It really has been in the works for a while. For the last couple of years I have seen the ODFW folks up there and running a big fish trap just up from Dodge Park checking things out. The trap is there right now. There was an article a long while back about in the Sandy Post about geting fish back in the bull Run River. I understand the skepticism GGU, it's like 2+2=4. But really they have been trying to get something going on the Bull Run. I'm suprised that the NFS hasn't file a suit to stop this project. Eggs thanks for posting this. Might have to see about becoming a fish feeder!;)

Last edited:
Reactions: eggs
E
eggs
yea should be nice to fish Bull Run in 3 or 4 years for springers

E
eggs
I have the phone number for the guy in charge of feeding.. if you want to feed or take your kids/g.kids they are releasing the smolt May 9th... pm me if you want to take part of this project and I will give you the number.

D
Dbaum
Hey,

I fish the Sandy A LOT and live 3 minutes from OX and 8 from Dodge and although I am in school and doing an internship with the FS and BLM I think I could find time for this project! I am happy to help and even happier to hear about this...let me know where and when and I will check my schedule and set a time up when my son and I will go do some feeding! Thanks for this info!

DB