Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
Really? Huh, Never knew that. Thanks FishKiller23

F
FishKiller23
Troutier Bassier said:
Really? Huh, Never knew that. Thanks FishKiller23

Where will u be fishing for the chinook???? Are u going to be in a boat???? I think 8 LB line would be ok for Coho on the sandy but as far as chinook I think 8 LB is a little light.

T
Troutier Bassier
8wt Fly Rod I Meant. From Shore.

F
FishKiller23
Troutier Bassier said:
8wt Fly Rod I Meant. From Shore.

Oh my fault I thought u were talking about line. :lol::lol::lol: Well in that case I have no idea.

T
Troutier Bassier
Lol, 8Lb for fall Chinook.

F
FishKiller23
Troutier Bassier said:

Hey I seen 20+ LB fish caught on 8 LB line. Its not unreal. I just thought u were talking about line figured hey ur a kid u might not know.

F
FishKiller23
Ah now the thread has been moved to the fly fishing section. See if it was here from the start I would have never said nothin hahaha. any good luck man.

O
OnTheFly
Troutier Bassier said:

Hey TB, I don't see a thing wrong with it. An 8wt should do it. On a big river like the Deschutes may require a tougher spey rod but here, close to home, I think you're OK. You use ultra light on bigger fish right?

M
mlw
Around here, I would think it just about right. In Alaska, might want 9 or 10. Can't say I have direct experience yet, hopefully this year - have been doing my research.
Michael

O
OnTheFly
A 40lb Tillamook fall chinook in the Trask might be a little tough on an 8wt but the water is so shallow and low it can be done. What a thrill!

T
Troutier Bassier
I Usually dont Fight Big Fish on Light Line, But I have Done it, And I know What to do.
And What flys do you use for Fall Chinook?

O
OnTheFly
I'm not entirely sure what type of fly would connect with a chinook. To tell you the truth I've never done it. All I know is that sight fishing for them is an effective way to hook up with them and you need to drift your terminal gear right down their throat when they yawn.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
I Usually dont Fight Big Fish on Light Line, But I have Done it, And I know What to do.
And What flys do you use for Fall Chinook?

Oh for goodness sake... leave the fly rod at home, and take your casting rods! I havent really heard of fly fishing for fall nooks, and if you are planning to go to bonneville, you may really pee-pee some people OFF. You have those GDF's you know, they are perfect for fall nook. Just rig your line with a 1.5-2 oz banana lead and tie on a 4-5 foot 20 lb leader with a spinner with razor sharp hook, watch where the pros are casting, and you'll have a fish on in no time. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
M
mlw
Folks fly fish for chinook. I went to a class on it at Caddis Fly, that was pretty interesting, also found a couple books at the library on fly fishing for chinook. It can be done in bays, tidewater, and upriver. I got out there a couple times last year, plan to this year. Google "king salmon flies" or chinook flies for fly patterns, a fairly small orange comet or boss style fly with bead chain eyes is a typical fly, or a bunny leach . All depends on how you like to fish, myself, I like fly fishing, so it's worth it to put some time into "research and development" - definitely a bit more of a learning curve flyfishing, but that's half the fun.
Michael

M
Mike123
I would LOVE to see a Fall chinook 30lbs. or more landed on an 8wt!!!!
I'd look at a 10wt. if your after coastal Fall nooks. You might get away with your 8wt on some of the nooks in the Columbia system..

BTW TB... how have you posted about 1,000 posts more than me and you joined one month after me??? I thought I posted A LOT!

F
FishSchooler
Mike123 said:
I would LOVE to see a Fall chinook 30lbs. or more landed on an 8wt!!!!
I'd look at a 10wt. if your after coastal Fall nooks. You might get away with your 8wt on some of the nooks in the Columbia system..

BTW TB... how have you posted about 1,000 posts more than me and you joined one month after me??? I thought I posted A LOT!

He hasn't turned OFF his auto post... :rolleyes: