Is your motor safe?

EOBOY
EOBOY
As you know I recently purchased a new motor for my boat. I put a new lock on it, the problem was the combo didn't take, so I couldn't unlock the lock. Dumb! So I just happen to find the lockpickinglawyer on youtube. Well after watching a video I got that lock OFF in less than 1 min. so much for locks!!!!!!!!!!

C
colt
I know some locks are way better than others. You really get what you pay for. I have had to break into a few locked cabinets on my property that i didn't have a key for, and a friend knew a locksmith and told me a trick. That was stupid and easy. I guess locks are really only good for keeping the honest thieves at bay.

EOBOY
EOBOY
lock.png

Reactions: colt
plumbertom
plumbertom
A cheap lock will not deter a determined thief.
Hell, it wouldn't even deter me if I needed to remove your motor for some reason, as I usually have bolt cutters in my truck.
You need a high quality case hardened lock that is hard to get bolt cutters on.
I've found that disc types are generally harder to get at with a bolt cutter.

From lock and key, to combination padlocks, here are the best padlocks on the market, in order:
  1. Stanley Shrouded Hardened Steel Padlock
  2. Desired Tools 4 Digit Combination Lock
  3. ABUS Titalium Aluminum Alloy Padlock
  4. Kwikset SmartKey
  5. Master Lock Bluetooth Padlock
  6. Master Lock Word Combination Lock
  7. Master Lock Set Your Own Combination Padlock
  8. ABUS Diskus Padlock
  9. Master Lock Standard Dial Combination Lock
  10. ORIA 4 Digit Combination Lock

Reactions: colt
EOBOY
EOBOY
plumbertom;n613095 said:
A cheap lock will not deter a determined thief.
Hell, it wouldn't even deter me if I needed to remove your motor for some reason, as I usually have bolt cutters in my truck.

Yeah, I would just use it if I was traveling or the night before I went fishing, otherwise it would be in the garage. I've seen too many stories on here of stolen motors.

F
fish4life
They also make bolts that you cannot remove unless you have a special socket, like locking lugnuts, or a bracket with a key lock that goes around the outboards screw clamps.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
I use an outboard motor lock. It slides over the handles that tighten the screws down onto your transom. There are a couple different designs but they are generally pretty similar.I think that someone would have a very hard time getting them off, the arm of the lock is not exposed to be cut.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
O. mykiss;n613315 said:
I use an outboard motor lock. It slides over the handles that tighten the screws down onto your transom. There are a couple different designs but they are generally pretty similar.I think that someone would have a very hard time getting them off, the arm of the lock is not exposed to be cut.

I don't travel with my motor attached, I've got a DB and not certain the transom is designed for an outboard bouncing around. That lock would be nice to leave the motor attached once I'm at my destination. Last years OFF gathering I was concerned about my motor in Detroit lake campground, ran a chain through the handle to keep the honest people honest. I see a purchase in my future.