Is Walter Wirth lake and Walling Pond open all year?

S
Steve
Does anyone know? I havent fished since summer and am getting a itch I need to scratch :)

18406ej
18406ej
They are both open all year. They were last stocked on November 17, and will be stocked again on December 15. If you haven't been to both lakes before, Walter Wirth is by far a more pleasant environment to fish. Good luck.

S
Steve
Thanks, I actually been to both a couple times and agree Wirth is better however I have had no luck at either spots, any advice?

18406ej
18406ej
A lot of people enjoy sitting in chairs with PowerBait drifted off the bottom. If that is your style, then try the shore nearest the parking lot. I personally have had the best luck with a dry fly and bubble, casting them with my spinning rod off of the cement block water gate on the North end of the pond. I don't know what to call the fly I use- it is just a plain brown and tan fly I picked up by the handful at Sportsman's Warehouse (which is fairly close to Walter Wirth).

Good luck- if you ever go on a weekday morning let me know, maybe we can pair up.

S
Steve
18406ej said:
A lot of people enjoy sitting in chairs with PowerBait drifted off the bottom. If that is your style, then try the shore nearest the parking lot. I personally have had the best luck with a dry fly and bubble, casting them with my spinning rod off of the cement block water gate on the North end of the pond. I don't know what to call the fly I use- it is just a plain brown and tan fly I picked up by the handful at Sportsman's Warehouse (which is fairly close to Walter Wirth).

Good luck- if you ever go on a weekday morning let me know, maybe we can pair up.

Thanks for the tips, pairing up would be awesome as I dont have many fishing buddies as I am just a beginner. How do you get to the north side? Is there only the one parking lot and you have to walk around?

18406ej
18406ej
There is only the one parking lot. As you face the pond from the parking lot, North is to the left. The water intake is the big cement thing with the railing around it. The best fishing on Walter Wirth seems to take place between the intake and the wooden handicapped access deck, which is to the South. Some people fish the far side of the pond, although it gets awful weedy over there, and is not as deep as the near shore.

PM me if you ever want to try it together. I can go most weekdays, but usually can't make it to the water until about 8:30, as I have to drop kids off at school.

S
Smokey McFisher
This is just what my friend and I have done, and what we have got. Walter Wirth- we like to hit the far side of the pond, just keep walking past the platform and go back about 2 openings in the bushes. there are a few weeds there, but as long as you put a small weight on you can get past them easy. on good days we have got 20 in an hour, throwing most back. but most times we get atleast 2 or 3. ive been skunked more times on the parking lot side. also the back pond (over the bridge in the back) has some really nice sized largemouth, ive got a 3 lber and a 4 lber back there on a worm and bobber. hope this helps.

S
sharkbait
It'a nice to see someone catching fish there. I can't even get a bite! I'll try the back pond, fishing for bass sounds like fun. Catching anything or even a bite is better than getting skunked! The only thing I catch at Walter Wirth is a buzz! :lol:

S
SDK
I had good luck in both of those ponds casting small spinners and rooster tails. I had a time or two on Walling where the power bait/lawn chair fishers were starting to look openly aggravated with me for bagging trout this way while they sat there without a bite :rolleyes:

S
Steve
Im back, would love to pair with someone if they want, I even got a lil inflatable raft we can use to try new areas, I went last week but just rafted to one end and back, I still need to get my fishing license, anyone know what price they are at this year? Thanks

18406ej
18406ej
$24.75 for resident angler

S
Steve
Thanks called today got that and about $21 for Salmon and $6 for crabbing... I need $50 fast lol... Does growing/selling worms in your garage really work/pay?

18406ej
18406ej
I guess it is only a trivia question, but does anyone know why ODFW stopped putting Walter Wirth into their weekly Fishing/Hunting update?