Is this rod n' reel really worth this much $$$ REALLY???

troutdude
troutdude
I'm having a very difficult time fathoming, that this set up is worth what someone is bidding on it. I have seen several of these rods at yard sales, and just thought they weren't worth more than maybe a 10 spot.

And, I have seen LOTS of Mitchell reels in my 40+ years of fishing. But, not one with the reel seat "foot" like this one has. But I still wouldn't think it's worth much more than maybe $40 or $50 if I really wanted it.

I'd like to hear what my fellow OFF'ers think about this (and the price tag someone is already willing to pay for it):

Garcia Mitchell 508 Reel and Special Conolon Spin Rod - eBay (item 150434159006 end time May-09-10 18:15:03 PDT)

M
Markcanby
Its pretty cool an in good shape. When you think about how much lures go for I guess a matched set rod an reel like that might be worth a lot.

troutdude
troutdude
Yeah, possibly to the right person. I have been known to plunk down good money on audio equipment, or two way radios and such.

And maybe I'm kind of spoiled or something. I have found several Fenwick's at yard sales. And I've never spent more than $20 on any of them. I also bought an "old school" hollow fiberglass Lamiglas ultralight a while back on Craig's list. I spent $40 on that.

All of them, in my opinion, are FAR SUPERIOR to any Mitchell rod that I have ever seen. Maybe it's just that I feel I can catch just as many fish on my rods (for very little money), as you can if you spend $400. So, for those reasons I can't justify popping that kind of loot on a rod.

Oh well. If a dude wants to spend that much, and has it, more power to them I suppose.

Troutski
Troutski
Spendy fishing gear

Spendy fishing gear

Some one told me once that a fish has no idea who, or what type of gear is catching it;). Now that being said I have two GLoomis Trout rods, plus a custom made Fenwick ultra lite for Steelhead:dance:
Is there a difference between one of the above and a Ugly Stick...man my wallet sure hopes so :pray:
Hobbies can be over kill no matter what they are. If you can afford it - I say go for it, I sure love mine.

Chuck

F
fishkiller
Troutski said:
Some one told me once that a fish has no idea who, or what type of gear is catching it;). Now that being said I have two GLoomis Trout rods, plus a custom made Fenwick ultra lite for Steelhead:dance:
Is there a difference between one of the above and a Ugly Stick...man my wallet sure hopes so :pray:
Hobbies can be over kill no matter what they are. If you can afford it - I say go for it, I sure love mine.

Chuck
Words of wisdom!!

troutdude
troutdude
You know how much I love my Fenwicks! I'll bet that custom made one is SWEEEEET!!!

O
OnTheFly
With that rod , you're pretty much stuck with that type of reel.

Troutski
Troutski
World Class

World Class

troutdude said:
You know how much I love my Fenwicks! I'll bet that custom made one is SWEEEEET!!!

Every thing you think it is; and much more....

Chuck