Is this a keeper? The rest of the story

S
spindoctor
first_catchS.jpg

Is this a keeper?

Anytime someone makes a post that leaves us in mystery, it is a fairly safe bet that there is something special going on, and this is no exception.

topView162614.jpg

As most of you have guessed the trout depicted is not real, it is a wood carving done to exact scale. In fact everything in this picture has been painstakingly hand carved from wood, there is no plastic or other materials used. The rocks are one base board, carved and painted to look real (even the leaf on the stone). The wooden fins were cut to size and then carefully hand scraped to a translucent thickness, and the hand, yep that is carved as well.

Closeview162614.jpg

Scales162614S.jpg

Fin162614S.jpg

Closeup162614.jpg

BottmView162614S.jpg

The artist, Dave from Albert Lea Mn. says he started carving this in November of 2013, copying a photo taken on an earlier trout outing and has spent hundreds of hours working on it.
Now you know the rest of the story, I know that it is a bit of a distraction from real fishing, but it is a fun and interesting way to enjoy the sport during this time of floods and high muddy water.

Thanks, hope to be on the streams again soon.

E
eugene1
Very interesting and cool!

F
FishFinger
That is absolutely beautiful!

L
LuckyFisher
It is absolutely incredible!! The only thing that bothered me though was there are no water entry ripples by the fish... But really beautiful and amazing!

L
LuckyFisher
The look from the top is almost more impressive than the profile view. Really wonderful craftsmanship!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thank you for sharing a beautiful piece of artwork! :worthy: Be safe back there and hope you're back out after the real deal soon.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent.

S
spindoctor
LuckyFisher said:
It is absolutely incredible!! The only thing that bothered me though was there are no water entry ripples by the fish... But really beautiful and amazing!

This is a case where pulling the curtain back from the wizzard makes his creations even more impressive and fun. Knowing Dave he will probably be working on that ripple thing and I won't be able to get him out on the streams again for the rest of this season.
The lengths some folks will go to, to get a trout! huh.
A great job done by a very skilled craftsman and artist.
A keeper!

T
techguy
Not quite finished

Not quite finished

spindoctor said:
This is a case where pulling the curtain back from the wizzard makes his creations even more impressive and fun. Knowing Dave he will probably be working on that ripple thing and I won't be able to get him out on the streams again for the rest of this season.
The lengths some folks will go to, to get a trout! huh.
A great job done by a very skilled craftsman and artist.
A keeper!

To be very honest, and this is no BS. I have caught more fish, and had more fun, have passed on the skills, and shared the best fishing experiences I have ever had because of THE SPIN DOCTOR. He IS the DOCTOR. I called him about this carving, and to give the nod, and to advise me on these fins. I didn't get a "yeah thats nice", from John. I got a disriptive, technical, and reasonable response to my questions. John has over 30 years teaching, learning supplying, building and living the fishing life. His spinners really do catch the most fish, and they are all I use.

There are few people on this planet of selfishness that are as kind and giving as the good ol' Doc is. He has helped me to teach my kids to fish, helped me with exchange students, and has never asked for anything in return. The fish carving is a DIRECT result of his and my time on the rivers of Southern Minnesota. We have caught trophies, and fingerlings, and each and every single one was paused with, and enjoyed for the spectacular beauty The Lord built into them. Its the kindness of sharing my carving with you folks that makes John who he is. Lord Bless you Doc, and thanks for calling me friend.

Thank you also, to all you folks for the kind reviews. I will be finishing the carving with the water as noted, and it will be framed in a hackberry frame. I hope to visit with you kids again soon. Best of wishes to you all in you own endeavors.

S
spindoctor
I am speechless and unsure what to say, except Thank you. Every fishing buddy is a valued tresure.