Is this a downrigger?

M
Matt G
This was included, along with a few other miscellaneous items, with a used boat I recently purchased. It obviously goes in one of the rod holders, and it looks like a downrigger arm to me. Am I right? Unfortunately this is all there is. If it's a downrigger wouldn't I need some sort of wire/cable, as well as... what? Also, would you use something like this to fish trout in lakes like Hagg, Timothy, Carmen, etc.?

Thanks!

B
Bullitt
I believe that is a crab pot puller... Scotty maybe?

B
beaverfan
Yup its a crab pot pulley

M
Matt G
That makes sense - I know the boat had been used in salt water before, so someone probably crabbed with it. Thanks!

N
nwkiller
defenetly crab pot pulley

T
Thuggin4Life
yup If you dont need it I'll trade you a 25lb anchor for it.

M
Matt G
Hey thuggin,

I have an anchor already, but I don't plan on using this crab pot pulley. I could use a decent life jacket or two, but I think most of the things I still need are more expensive than this pulley so I don't know if I can make a trade worth your while. I would be open to any reasonable offer though - if it helps a fellow angler and puts a perfectly good piece of equipment to use then I'm all for it! Zip me a PM if you want. It's located in Beaverton and I only get down to Springfield once or twice/year.

T
Thuggin4Life
Oh alright then. Beaverton. How boat this, next time you head down this way let me know or vise versa and we can try to work something out if its still around.

M
Matt G
Sounds good - I'll try to remember to contact you next time I go if I still have the pulley. Probably wouldn't be before next Fall. If you ever come up here to fish Hagg or the Columbia or something, let me know.

troutdude
troutdude
Matt G said:
This was included, along with a few other miscellaneous items, with a used boat I recently purchased. It obviously goes in one of the rod holders, and it looks like a downrigger arm to me. Am I right? Unfortunately this is all there is. If it's a downrigger wouldn't I need some sort of wire/cable, as well as... what? Also, would you use something like this to fish trout in lakes like Hagg, Timothy, Carmen, etc.?

Thanks!

I don't think that you would want to use a downrigger in Carmen Reservoir.

#1, it isn't very deep. Maybe 40 - 60 feet or so. And, I've caught hundreds of trout there, just floating a woolly bugger on the surface.

#2, is is ILLEGAL to use ANY kind of a motor (not even an electric). So, you would have to row your boat.

It would be a challenge, at best, to swith from rowing to messing with a downrigger set up.

M
Matt G
never fished Carmen, though I have fished Clear Lake and knew that was a no-motor zone. That's partly why I bought a small boat with a small, easy-to-remove motor, so I can row it on little lakes like that. I've never used a downrigger before, just saw one used for salmon once. So I didn't know if A) this pulley could even be used as a downrigger, and B) how (or whether) you would ever want to use one to fish for trout on a lake

troutdude
troutdude
Yep, cannot even have ANY kind of motor on your boat on Carmen or Clear Lake. Not even an electric. Not allowed; must be taken "off" before entering the water. So, good for you with a small motor. You're more flexible.

I've never used a downrigger for trout. But, they are needed and useful when fish are in deeper lakes.