Is Spearing Salmon Legal Anywhere?? (Snorkling)

K
kaimuki49
Snorckel fishing is common in many places. Is it ok to use a mask, swim, and spear fish anywhere at anytime in oregon? if not, do you know why not? thanks

O
OnTheFly
Good question. Might depend on the fish you're after. The ocean might be the only place but don't quote me on it.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I doubt it. That would be a foul hook if anything (hehe) and mutilation of a game species. Inshore at least. Off shore, certain rules apply, but generally if something isn't being done and has never been done; especially a very simple concept such as spear fishing for salmon, there is a very good reason for it. That reason is probably legality.

M
Mad dog
kaimuki49 said:
Snorckel fishing is common in many places. Is it ok to use a mask, swim, and spear fish anywhere at anytime in oregon? if not, do you know why not? thanks

Legal for non-game fish only such as carp, suckers, squawfish, fish like that. Guys bowfish carp all the time on the snake! The regs say spears are legal for these kinds of fish.

T
tnffishman
I saw a guy with a hawaiian sling at North Fork Reservoir and he says he has success with the trout all the time using a snorkel and mask. I was pretty sure that's not legal for trout. But he said he does it all the time;):think:;)

troutdude
troutdude
People do dumb arse things all of time. But, doing them doesn't make it legal.

G
GDBrown
Spearing Salmon is a No - No!

Spearing Salmon is a No - No!

It appears from the general regulations that you are allowed to fish for non-game fish with a spread or spear gun..... So, NO Salmon!

Species:
"Suckers, Northern
Pikeminnow, Carp,
Chub, Sculpin, and
other Nongame
Freshwater Fish........
Angling method:
Angling, Hand, Bow
& Arrow, Crossbow,
Spear, Spear Gun,
Gaff & Snag Hook"

This is from page 9 of the 2010 Oregon SPORT FISHING Regulations

Hope this clears things up.:D

GD

F
fishtales
It is not legal here but if it was I'd probably do it. The best spot would deffinatly be at my favorite fishing spot.

The only people I can think of that might do this type of fishing around here for non game fish would be those guys who get paid to retreive golf balls from the ponds at golf courses. I mean if it where me doing the work why not get a little fishing in too.

G
GDBrown
That might be a great way to get some of the carp out of the rivers where they are not wanted.

F
fishtales
Could be. I like you thinking there.

S
sbrooks
You can spear ocean rock fish anytime, you can only shoot those sucker/carp/squaw fish in lakes but not rivers. Oregon general state regulations say it is okay but any river regs say no spear fishing at all. I have checked it out because there are some rivers with many and huge suckers and carp.

F
Finneus Polebender
Wonder if the local native americans can? Again that is a whole different situation than for the rest of us.

K
kaimuki49
What if the fisherman claims native rights. ie, to harvest fish as they did pre-western take over? (calm down, just making discussion here) If it was the normal and customary cultural practice to spear salmon (since there were no sporting goods stores to buy angling gear), should that practice be allowed? This would mean no red neck spearing, just indigenous peoples. Just chewing the fat here waiting for my next xanax.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Natives used to spear sturgeon. However, even if it were legal for non-natives to spear that particular species you wouldn't catch me trying!!!!!

O
OnTheFly
GraphiteZen said:
Natives used to spear sturgeon. However, even if it were legal for non-natives to spear that particular species you wouldn't catch me trying!!!!!
Easy! Just substitute 'Spear' for 'Harpoon'!:lol:

K
kaimuki49
fishtales said:
It is not legal here but if it was I'd probably do it. The best spot would deffinatly be at my favorite fishing spot.

The only people I can think of that might do this type of fishing around here for non game fish would be those guys who get paid to retreive golf balls from the ponds at golf courses. I mean if it where me doing the work why not get a little fishing in too.

do people really get paid to get balls out of lagoons at golf courses?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
kaimuki49 said:
do people really get paid to get balls out of lagoons at golf courses?

45 cents a ball!

Speaking of which... If anyone is interested.... :cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
kaimuki49 said:
What if the fisherman claims native rights. ie, to harvest fish as they did pre-western take over? (calm down, just making discussion here) If it was the normal and customary cultural practice to spear salmon (since there were no sporting goods stores to buy angling gear), should that practice be allowed? This would mean no red neck spearing, just indigenous peoples. Just chewing the fat here waiting for my next xanax.
pre-western TAKEOVER.... hmmm... what rights?