Is night fishing legal?

S
Spydeyrch
Over the last few months I have read about people doing night fishing or really really early morning fishing. I have wanted to do some night and early early early morning fishing but I thought that the regs didn't allow it. :think: :think: :think:

From what I understand by reading the regs, the general rules state that fishing is permissible from 1 hour before sunrise to 1 hour after sunset.

So how is it that, if truly following regs, there are people, including professional anglers, that go night fishing and fishing at like 2am, 3 am, etc.?

I am actually not trying to get on their case and point out any wrong-doing.:mad: Quite the opposite.:lol::dance: I want to get in on the action too!!!! hahahaha ;);) :lol::lol::lol:

I just want to make sure that I am still with-in regs. I hope that all that makes sense. I would love to get some night fishing in on a local creek or stream. It would be a blast!!! But I don't want to break any regs. :naughty: Get the gist? :think:

Thanks.

-Spydey :D

M
metalfisher76
In Or. you can catch catfish and the like at night. NO salmon or steel. In Wa you can chase salmon/steel at night most of the year, not right now though.

S
Spydeyrch
What about trout? I know that the trout season for the majority of areas is closing down come Oct. 31st (with the exception of most lakes), so I was hoping to maybe get some night fishing in this coming weekend for some trout.

Any thoughts on that? Thanks! :D

-Spydey

M
metalfisher76
From page 9 of "da book"

Unlawful to:
1. Angle for or take salmon, shad, steelhead, sturgeon, trout or whitefish except in
daylight hours (one hour before sunrise until one hour after sunset). See exceptions
for specific waterbodies in Southeast (Miller Lake and Lake-of-the-woods) and
Columbia River zones

S
Spydeyrch
Thanks for the answer. I figured it would still apply to trout. I appreciate your help.

-Spydey :D

T
Throbbit _Shane
If your in the area. Lake of the Woods has Brown and Rainbow Trout and also Kokanee. Plus warmwater species like LM Bass, Perch, and catfish. And it can be fished legally at night.

O
OnTheFly
There are also areas up in Washington that allow fishing at night. 'Aint never been there they tell me it's nice' is Lenice Lake.

troutdude
troutdude
My understanding of the regs, is that night fishing is allowed for "warmwater" gamefish like cats, bass, crappie, carp, bluegill, whitefish, and maybe walleye and perch.

BTW, that info. is really good to know about Lake of the Woods. It would be really cool to be fishing for "bass" at night, and land a lunker Brown or two! Thanks for the heads up Throbbit.

Troutski
Troutski
24 hour Trout in Oregon

24 hour Trout in Oregon

Miller lake is a 24 hour fishery, Brown Trout plus Kokes. Plus Lake of the Woods, another 24 hour lake...there aren't a ton of places but we do have a few. If you haven't tried it you should, crazy vision, add in some wind or rain...very exciting to say the least. Tight lines

Chuck

kirkster
kirkster
If your interested the columbia river above McNary dam is open for night fishing steelhead.

troutdude
troutdude
Many years ago, I night-fished "off" a finger jetty in Yaquina Bay for Sea Bass. It is a blast, and you can catch of ton of tasty fish, in a very short period of time!

The marine waters are open 24 hours for sea bass, snapper, sea trout, flounder, soles, halibut, surf perch, stripers, hybrid bass, and a few others (listed on pg. 100-101 in 2010 reg book).

Two catches, gotta be careful on slime covered rocks. And gotta be observant of the tide changes. It would NOT be pretty to be swept out to sea.

F
Finneus Polebender
Well we verified the bass will bite at night tonight fer sure!

C
Coho Kid
Maybe it's just me, but I find that first hour of fishing in the dark more trouble than it's worth. Don't get me wrong I do catch, but half the time I can't see and end up fouling up my gear or snagging up.

kirkster
kirkster
I would have to say it is a little bit of a pain, but I absolutley love the first hour in the dark. Its awesome hooking up and having to figure out what your next move needs to be. And I really think I myself have learned a lot by fishing in the dark because when I can't see whats going on I have to depend on my sense of feel. And when drift fishing its all about feel. But as far as night fishing steelhead like above McNary dam, and in washingtons drano lake. Its mostly frog water and your running bait under a lighted bobber.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i heard the best time to fish for trophy browns is at night because that is when they feed. but idk if that aplies to lakes also?

O
OregonNative
I was wondering the same thing about night fishing and if the regs had changed. I was perusing the regs and day dreaming for fishing trips next year and Wickiup Reservoir caught my eye. 5th bullet says "Closed from 1 hour after sunset until 1 hour before sunrise". I thought, well that is confusing because isn't that true of most Oregon in-land waters? :confused: It kind of implies that this an exception not the general rule. I guess they just want to make it clear that night fishing is not okay at Wickiup even for catfish or bass. :think:

Is it just me or are the regs getting more confusing every year. Kind of like every time the government trys to "simplify" the tax code, it just gets more convoluted! :rolleyes: How long until we have to put the coordiates of where we are at from a gps to get the specific regs for where we are at....sorry Officer, I have T-Mobile and don't have coverage here. LOL. Maybe I'm just getting old.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah they say that because they don't want you hooking to other species in the lake that are a good possibility to be a bycatch of bass angling. I think a few of the good brown lakes have this rule. Makes sense though.

S
Spydeyrch
WOW!!! That is all I can say is WOW!!!:shock::shock: I was not expecting this much input from everyone. Thank you very much!! :pray::pray:

I will have to take a look at some of those lakes and other areas mentioned to see if they are doable.

Thanks again everyone!!

-Spydey