Is my stuff good enough.

F
Fisherman Scott
I have a Penn Pursuit prs 2040s12 12' Rod 20-40lb line with 3-8 oz lure Graphite Composite. My Reel is a Okuma Avenger AV80 25lb/310yd. I was just wondering if this setup is good enough for catching sturgeon from the bank. I haven't been sturgeon fishing before so if the is good enough then what kind of line should i use and what size hooks and such. I'm also curious as to what you use for bait and how you setup your weight and hook and such. thanks for any replies.

F
Fishtopher
I didn't know Penn made a rod, but judging by the ratings it's defenitly good enough. Unless youre targeting over size specifically youre more than fine I think. Id spool up with 50lb Tuff Line.

Although my Sturgeon setup goes like this;

11'0" Heavy Action 12-40lb Ugly Stick paired with an Okuma Avenger AV80 15lb/375yds-25lb/220yds. (other rod i use is a three peice Diawa Northcoast Eliminator 11', 7-15oz, 30-40lb line)
Spooled up with 80lb Tuff Line to a 3-way swivel thats been modified to hold a snap swivel on one of the loops.
The snap swivel usually gets a 10oz cannonball sinker give or take a few oz's.
The other loop of the three way usually gets a few feet of 92lb braided dacron which eventually leads to the business end of a 6/0 barbless Gamakatsu Octopus hook.

Thats about all I gots for ya right now.:)

F
Fisherman Scott
BTW i am looking for bank fishing tips and i heard about some place near Sauvies Island.

J
JTLunker
General Areas for Sturgeon

General Areas for Sturgeon

Fisherman Scott said:
BTW i am looking for bank fishing tips and i heard about some place near Sauvies Island.

First, get yourself a good rod holder. I fish around the West Linn and Lake Oswego areas for Sturgeon. There is a nice spot in West Linn at Mary S Young park. It is a bit of a hike to the water, but some nice deep holes in that area. Also there is Meldrum Bar. I have only fished there once, I like to be a little more secluded from the crowds. In Lake Oswego there is a spot along the river walk and a nice spot at George Rodgers park. There are some rocks at the south end of Rodgers park off the bike path. There is a large cement structure just north of the rocks. The hole is very deep and is fished often by boats. Probably a little busy on the weekends. Pickled Squid, worm balls, shrimp, craws, shad, and salmon eggs have all worked for me in that area. Good luck!

F
Fisherman Scott
So 50lb test line with 80lb leader. should they be both Darcon? and what size hook?

F
Fisherman Scott
also what is a good rod holder.

F
FishSchooler
Fisherman Scott said:
also what is a good rod holder.

Lots of tape (maybe even some super glue or gorilla glue)
Hose clamps
1.5 inch PVC (as long as your handle)
Survey stake

O
osmosis
I use about 2.5' of rebar, some 2" (Inside diameter) PVC and some duct tape.
I tape the 16-18" section of pvc to the rebar, making sure to leave about 2" of the rebar exposed at the top to hammer it into the ground by.
this style works better for salmon where they just smash the gear but does work to sturgeon fish also.
to make it better for sturgeon you might want to cut a giant "U" shape out of the back of the pvc so that you can combine your hookset and pulling it out of the rod holder into one movement.

F
Fisherman Scott
Thanks for the help so far.

F
Fishtopher
Nice neighborhood.

H
help
in my opinion, you look ready to go. one little, I would probably up the line rating to 40 lb just in case.

P
plunkme
oh heres a good reason i dont use anything larger than 25lb mainline, if you got a good current going the thicker the diameter the more drag it has under water, and the more drag it has the more weight you will have to use to keep your gear on the bottom

today i went out using 25lb mainline at bonneville and my gear was held down with a 5 1/2 oz other people were using 40lb mainline and had to start throwing out 8oz sinkers, which in turns makes it more difficult for you to cast out as far as you want

H
help
plunkme said:
oh heres a good reason i dont use anything larger than 25lb mainline, if you got a good current going the thicker the diameter the more drag it has under water, and the more drag it has the more weight you will have to use to keep your gear on the bottom

today i went out using 25lb mainline at bonneville and my gear was held down with a 5 1/2 oz other people were using 40lb mainline and had to start throwing out 8oz sinkers, which in turns makes it more difficult for you to cast out as far as you want

That is so true... unless you are using braid than that is a whole different story. Braid is no good though off the bank in my opinion.

O
orarcher
help said:
That is so true... unless you are using braid than that is a whole different story. Braid is no good though off the bank in my opinion.

Why is this ?

L
LUCASMORTER
fisherman scott said:
btw i am looking for bank fishing tips and i heard about some place near sauvies island.

the spot near sauvies island is called kelley point park. Ive been wanting to go check it out soon ive never fished it i want to start sturgeon fishing. Ive caught a few before but i want to fish them way more