Is it worth the gas?

M
mgman6000
I am thinking about going over to the Metolious this weekend but I see you can only lure fish from bridge 99 to the Indian reservation ,it looks like maybe 2 miles It seems if you aren't into fly fishing you are pretty much restricted to a small part of the river So is it worth driving 120 miles to fish this small part?

F
FlyBum
Get a Fly rod and Crimp your barbs and head over it should be really good this weekend! Access below the bridge can be a little tricky too. Most of the good fishing will be found above the bridge but the entire system should produce too. It seems like every time I'm out there I see a State Fish and Game Trooper as well. Make sure your legal! :)

M
mgman6000
I am retired on SSI and can't just go out and get a fly rod I was asking if there is enough water available for lure fishing as I understand it you don't have to go barbless below bridge 99

brandon4455
brandon4455
. i agree with flybum fly fishing is the way to go :cool: the barbless suggestion from what i understand is so their jaws dont get damaged on the release thats somthing that is a good idea even in waters where barbed hooks are allowed. no point in having barbs if you are releasing a fish.. so my guess is NO it's not worth the drive.

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
The Metolius is Fly fishing only with barbless hooks above bridge 99 per State regulations!!! There's a few other things like using split shot is a no-no, so check the regs. You can just go out and get a really cheap fly rod at Walmart if you have to. I'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than the gas it takes you to get over here and would open up a lot more water as well. Just a suggestion, take it or leave it! :)

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
thats what i have, paid 36 bucks for a combo with line and leader to get me by until i get more money and ive caught over 25 fish on it since the 28th. casting is easy to learn,chuck some nymphs at em and your good to go.

N
Ntofishing
I have never fished the Metolius but I was just wondering if the old "fly and a bubble" on a standard setup is legal? That is one of the ways we get around the fly only time on the Rogue down here.

O
OnTheFly
I agree with Brandon. There is not enough water there for lures for 120 miles of driving.

F
FlyBum
Ntofishing said:
I have never fished the Metolius but I was just wondering if the old "fly and a bubble" on a standard setup is legal? That is one of the ways we get around the fly only time on the Rogue down here.

No it is not, check the Oregon fishing synopses where they define "Fly Angling" and you will find what is legal and what isn't.

Link to what you should all have:
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/docs/2011_Oregon_Fish_Regs.pdf

S
skunk
Not worth the trip if not fly fishing. Really a fly fishing destination. Also if I remember its a bit more of a hike once your out of the fly section. Stay closer or pick another river my opinion.

M
mgman6000
Thanks for the input I didn't think it would be worth it.

G
GDBrown
For the time and gas I'd head for the Deschutes right now. You can drive to Mecca Flats just below Warm Springs and it's about the same distance or less I think. They both tend to be "Fly Fishing Destinations" but the "D" does allow lures. You may get some dirty looks from all the "Fly Guys" but a little girl landed a Springer on a lure last week.

alishachinook.jpg

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
I would drive 240 miles round trip just to look at the river... you only need 50' of river to catch a fish, I fly fish in the no restriction section.... put up an open seat offer on here and split the cost... its worth it-

M
mgman6000
Thanks No problem with the gas my son is paying for that ! We just didn't want to waste the day but I really would like to look at that river Do you think it will be too high with all the run off? I went over to the Mollala yesterday and it was pretty fast didn't catch anything .

B
bigsteel
metolius usually stays the same because its a spring fed creek,its at 1700 right now which ia great

O
o clarki
More water than you think

More water than you think

The Met is fly only above the 99 bridge, but there are many more than 2 miles downstream to fish with lures. The river is closed on the west bank about 2 miles below the bridge due to the Reservation, but no so on the east bank. You can fish as far as you are willing to bushwhack.

There are some beautiful redbands in there and some enormous bull trout. In my opinion it is always worth it to fish the Met, but I'll leave that to you to decide. Just wanted to let you know that east bank is open all the way down to Lake Billy Chinook.

Reactions: OnTheFly
M
mgman6000
o clarki said:
The Met is fly only above the 99 bridge, but there are many more than 2 miles downstream to fish with lures. The river is closed on the west bank about 2 miles below the bridge due to the Reservation, but no so on the east bank. You can fish as far as you are willing to bushwhack.

There are some beautiful redbands in there and some enormous bull trout. In my opinion it is always worth it to fish the Met, but I'll leave that to you to decide. Just wanted to let you know that east bank is open all the way down to Lake Billy Chinook.

Thanks for the info can you drive north of bridge 99? I will be crushing my barbs and going!!

Reactions: OnTheFly
F
FlyBum
No, there is a parking lot where you can head down (North) the old jeep trail on the East side of the river! Below the bridge you don't need to crimp your barbs. But you can do it to help promote easier Catch and Release for the Bulls if you hook one!

S
skunk
Have fun, it is a wonderful river, fishing or not and if gas isn't an issue, then yeah its worth it.