Is it Possible?

T
TTFishon
Someone at work said I can take the prop off of my motor and attach a garden hose so I can safely run my motor. Is this true?
 
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Ummmm...

Ummmm...

Okay,let it be said I am NOT any kind of expert on boat motors. But,I was sent to Sportsmen's Warehouse to get a black clamp thingy to put on the motor down by the prop. It is double sided and after you clamp it on,you can hook the hose to it and safely run your motor. I would think that just taking the prop OFF would not keep the motor from frying itself. But,like I said,I am no expert. Might want to call a marina or boat dealership.
Be safe.
Barb
 
T
TTFishon
I've seen those before. Would it work on an older model motor?
 
Chromatose
Chromatose
Here is what you need
Muffs

As you will notice there is a hose bib on the side ear of the muff. That is where the hose goes. Then take the muffs and place it on the lower end of your outboard. There will be little journals where the muff ( Water side of the muff to the journal) goes to. The U shape is for the muffs to wrap around your lower end. Turn on water, start your motor. You should see water coming out of the water outlet of your lower end. Hope this is of some help!

Or you could just get a 55 gallon barrel.

Good Luck.

No reel need to remove the prop unless your going to replace it.
 
Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Careful...

Careful...

Watch the water pressure when using earmuffs...you can put to much pressure on the water pump. Don't as how I know just be careful:rolleyes:. My new Merc came with a built in hose port, very easy to use. Good luck

Chuck
 
F
fishnquest
How big is the motor?
I have a 6hp merc. The earmuffs do not work on it. I clamp it to a sawhorse (one I made with a vertical 2X4 across the top), put a plastic garbage can under it and fill it with water.
 
T
TTFishon
fishnquest said:
How big is the motor?
I have a 6hp merc. The earmuffs do not work on it. I clamp it to a sawhorse (one I made with a vertical 2X4 across the top), put a plastic garbage can under it and fill it with water.

40 horse Johnson
 
T
Troutier Bassier
A Johnson Huh?
Yep,
That black thing Is what My dad and Everyone else Uses.
 
T
TTFishon
Chromatose said:
Here is what you need
Muffs

As you will notice there is a hose bib on the side ear of the muff. That is where the hose goes. Then take the muffs and place it on the lower end of your outboard. There will be little journals where the muff ( Water side of the muff to the journal) goes to. The U shape is for the muffs to wrap around your lower end. Turn on water, start your motor. You should see water coming out of the water outlet of your lower end. Hope this is of some help!

Or you could just get a 55 gallon barrel.

Good Luck.

No reel need to remove the prop unless your going to replace it.

How much does the hose bib cost? I think I can get a 55 gal barrel for 5 or 10 bucks.
 
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Less than $10

Less than $10

I picked it up for less than $10 at Sportsmen's Warehouse. The price shouldn't vary that much. Of course,the saw horse and garbage can will work too. I don't know how small engines do with that method.

Be safe.
Barb
 
T
TTFishon
Raincatcher said:
I picked it up for less than $10 at Sportsmen's Warehouse. The price shouldn't vary that much. Of course,the saw horse and garbage can will work too. I don't know how small engines do with that method.

Be safe.
Barb

Cool. Thanks Barb.
 
O
OnTheFly
TTFishon said:
40 horse Johnson

I'm going to guess that a motor that size will remain on the boat most of the time...right? I know mine did. Therefore I would use the earmuff. Dragging a hose to the boat is easier than the other methods.
 
Last edited:
T
TTFishon
OnTheFly said:
I'm going to guess that a motor that size will remain on the boat most of the time...right? I know mine did. Therefore I would use the earmuff. Dragging a hose to the boat is easyer than the other methods.

Yes it's staying on the boat. I wonder where I can get one of those things in Eugene?
 
O
OnTheFly
TTFishon said:
Yes it's staying on the boat. I wonder where I can get one of those things in Eugene?

Hey TTFishon, Try this one...

Skookum Marine541-463-0555
29811 Clear Lake Rd, Eugene, OR
 
F
fishnquest
I had no idea what kind of motor you were talking about. I would not put a 40hp motor on a sawhorse :lol:. The earmuffs are the only way to go for that. My motor weighs 80lbs!
 
M
mudslinging79
i prefer the 50 gallon drum myself, one can rev the motor, check shifting, etc that one can't do with the muffs, as hose pressure may not be enough
 
T
TTFishon
mudslinging79 said:
i prefer the 50 gallon drum myself, one can rev the motor, check shifting, etc that one can't do with the muffs, as hose pressure may not be enough

Good point.
 
M
mudslinging79
if one looks and asks around, barrels can be had for free. where i work we toss them out, metal gets cut and tossded in scrap metal bin, plastic gets cut and tossed in garbage. they cut the barrels in half to take up less space, just make friends with a janitor type...
 
I
INSAYN
If you have a feed store in your area, pick up one of these "Muck Buckets", and lower your motor into it. Fill with water above the water pump intake. Fire up the motor and while still in neutral, you can cycle the RPM's up and down. Keep the hose in the bucket with it flowing some water, as the exhaust will spit some out reducing your water level.


5207220
 

Similar threads

troutdude
Replies
0
Views
131
troutdude
troutdude
F
Replies
4
Views
386
Fishnsleep
F
jamisonace
Replies
39
Views
2K
jamisonace
jamisonace
R
Replies
10
Views
740
Grant22
Grant22
Top Bottom