Is it just me...???

troutdude
Is it just me?

I am consistently dumbfounded, by the number of peeps who ask "regulation oriented" questions on here. For example, "what kind of fish is this...Coho or Chinook"? Or, "can I fish X spot for X specie, at this time of year? Or, "can I use live bait?" These are totally legitimate questions;and ones that a fisherperson SHOULD ask themselves.

But what throws me a mental curve ball is this. If a person has the ability, to post their questions on this forum... then why do they not understand a SIMPLE concept? That they can easily VIEW THE REG'S ONLINE for themselves! It does NOT get much easier than that! :wall::wall:

Plus, printed copies of the Oregon Reg books are available in just about any shop--where they go to buy their own rods, reels, tackle, bait, etc. etc. HELLO? How about getting a FREE printed copy of the reg's and READING it? :doh::doh:

Sorry, but I just don't get it. If anyone can shed some light on this notion--so it makes better sense--please let me know.
 
Thuggin4Life
haha. way to funny. yeah i see it too. i ask questions when the book confuses me.which it does from time to time. or when the keep adopting special regs and the odfw site gets me confused. I dont think everyone keeps a book at home and one in the rig like the rest of us.
 
rippin fish lips
I always have a reg book on me at all times. there is one in every rig that we have at the house, there is one in the boat and sitting.... RIGHT NEXT TO ME lol
 
brandon4455
hey jay,how about i go grab all of the reg books up at wal mart and we can pas them out to everyone next time we go fishing? LOL.. it is sarting to scare me...it seems like nobody cares about the reg book. i think ive only seen about 5 or 6 people take them from the wal-mart here in town. and a lot of people stop the get tags on the way to the coast if they go through im guessing only about 10%? of people grab a reg book before they leave the store.

i grab a reg book about 2-3 times a year while grabbing fishing stuff...it also comes in handy to prove people wrong who are fishing in restricted areas or thoe who kept the wrong fish:D because i can't walk away from someone who is above a deadline or fishing closed water.. and/or keeping the wrong kind of fish. if been through that when i was younger and it's not fun to be pushed around by a bunch of adults when you are 12..
and don't know what you are doing wrong



brandon
 
Last edited:
JeannaJigs
People are either just dumb, lazy, or both. after this last salmon season my patience has worn super thin...people may not like it but I'm gonna be saying it how I see it lol.
 
capblack
if they read the regs, then they can't play dumb when there confronted
 
beaverfan
JeannaJigs said:
People are either just dumb, lazy, or both. after this last salmon season my patience has worn super thin...people may not like it but I'm gonna be saying it how I see it lol.

Yeah that!
 
everett464
Coho and Chinook can be tough.

But yeah, read the regs, they are pretty intuitive.
 
GraphiteZen
#1 Reg book tip: Get it in PDF and use the "search" feature! The printed copies are worthless. The editors do an exceptional job on the layout, but you can only do so much in printed form with a rule-set as complicated as any regulated hunt is bound to be... I mean 20 animals, and 1000 unique areas... good luck.
 
Last edited:
GraphiteZen
I fact, I'm going to move to sticky a link to the game regs right at the head of every region here.
 
halibuthitman
there is no such thing as a responsible sportsman anymore...
 
colbypearson
(stranger) i caught a little green bass with a smallmouth , its a smallmouth (me) its a largemouth.... (stranger) you want to bet idiot .............i like that one the best, it used to annoy me but now it makes my day :D
 
GraphiteZen
We had one incident a while back where a guy posted a thread about catching a bunch of trout on the upper Luckiamutte... Someone chimed in that the Luckiamutte was closed...

Angler: "uuhhhhh how do I delete threads????????""

LOL!!!
 
colbypearson
graphitezen said:
we had one incident a while back where a guy posted a thread about catching a bunch of trout on the upper luckiamutte... Someone chimed in that the luckiamutte was closed...

Angler: "uuhhhhh how do i delete threads????????""

lol!!!

lol
 
Raincatcher
Where did the Caring & Sharing go?

Where did the Caring & Sharing go?

You're all being a bit harsh in my opinion. Just like every other aspect of fishing you know there is a learning curve that takes time and guidance. Ideally, each fisher folk takes the time to study the regs, but that doesn't mean that in the heat of the moment an excited newbie is going to remember what the book said about how to distinguish between each species. I know it won't surprise any of you to learn I am still struggling to remember them all. I've also fished alongside lifelong fishermen who argued with each other over which fish species they were looking at on the end of their line. We can't claim to Care & Share and then get irritated when someone comes to us for help, can we?
 
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen said:
I fact, I'm going to move to sticky a link to the game regs right at the head of every region here.

DONE! You can now check the fishing regs at the top of every section on OFF. Thanks Barb!!!

Of course they will have to be updated in a month but that's not the point haha....
 
Raincatcher
I didn't put them in every section...didn't think they were necessary in the "Recipe" section....;) :lol:
 
GraphiteZen
hahaha...
 
beaverfan
Raincatcher said:
You're all being a bit harsh in my opinion. Just like every other aspect of fishing you know there is a learning curve that takes time and guidance. Ideally, each fisher folk takes the time to study the regs, but that doesn't mean that in the heat of the moment an excited newbie is going to remember what the book said about how to distinguish between each species. I know it won't surprise any of you to learn I am still struggling to remember them all. I've also fished alongside lifelong fishermen who argued with each other over which fish species they were looking at on the end of their line. We can't claim to Care & Share and then get irritated when someone comes to us for help, can we?

I agree that there is a bit of learning curve when it comes to the regs but they shouldn't be asking a board of random people they should be asking the people who make the rules.
 
troutdude
beaverfan said:
I agree that there is a bit of learning curve when it comes to the regs but they shouldn't be asking a board of random people they should be asking the people who make the rules.

X 2. That was my original intent in this thread. It was NOT to "bash" anyone.

Just wanted to say that is their OWN responsibility to know the regs, not anyone else's. And you all know that I don't mind sharing and helping. It just grows old, to answer the same questions repeatedly, that they can answer for themselves. If they would only take the initiative, to do so.

The other part of my intent, was to let peeps know where / how to find those the regs. And, more importantly, hopefully avoid tickets and fines. (i.e. being helpful).

Thanks to all who posted stickies and / or "reg threads".

P.S. If my original thread OFFended anyone in any way, my apologies. It was unintentional.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom