Is a 15' foot aluminum boat too small for the Columbia?

N
napzard
In other words, would I get laughed at if I launched out of the ramp near blue lake and fished those areas? 15 horse motor is all.

T
Troutier Bassier
I have a 15' with a 25 Motor and It works just fine,
The boat ramp is called Chinook Landing.
No you wouldent get laughed at.
Instead, Laugh at the guy who was the 9' Blow up boat with a electric motor.

What are you gonna be fishing for?

D
dude young
Let 'em laugh when you launch. But when you return with your limit, nothin' shuts up an empty handed wise a$$ in a flashy boat faster than a guy in a small boat with a catch. Just know you and your boats limitations, and be safe.

Nothin shuts up a guy in a small boat faster than a pair of lungs full of water.

Good luck man. Knock 'em dead!

F
FishFinger
I agree you should be fine. You should be off to the side in marginal waters and out of the heavy current flow anyways.

Make sure your anchor rope is at least 200 feet a 10 lb min for a danforth fluke and and 8' of heavy 3/8" chain. should stick you just fine all around the mouth of the Sandy.

R
rainman
I agree with all of the above, until it gets windy. I've fished any number of times on the Big C in a 18 ft sled and saw 15 ft smokercraft etc... and they seemed to be doing just fine.
I have a 15 ft Smokercraft Alaskan with a 15hp 2 stroke, tho I've yet to work up the courage to launch at Chinook landing. I did fish Tilly Bay in it and had no probs.
I have a 14 lb Columbia river anchor w/ 4 ft of chain and 300 ft of anchor rope. Have a sharp knife handy in case you need to cut loose quick.
Go here for CG tips on anchoring... Anchoring Tips

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
In the fall just out of Chinook Landing a hog line forms. It is right as you come out and head east. I have seen an 8' Livingston and a 16' Clackacraft fishing and catching there. It's a good place to fish because you can tuck back into the safety of the sheltered landing if the wind picks up. A couple of thing to be concerned about are the lenght of you anchor line (if you follow Fishfingers advice on anchor line you will be ok) and having an open bow boat. If the wind picks up and it is blowing up river you will have short wave sets. If you have an open bow boat and it dips into a wave set you could find yourself in trouble. Be sure to cut your bow line short enough so that it can't wash out of your boat and end up in your prop. Also secure anchor line so that it can not wash out of your boat and fowl you prop. Keep an eye on the weather and you should be fine.

N
napzard
I think it would be prudent for me to practice launching over there and scouting those waters before things really pick up. I appreciate all the advice you all have given.

One thing I am most afraid of is other boaters and them yelling at me for doing something wrong. I don't know what the pecking order of those hog lines are, perhaps I never will. There's a lot to learn up here. I fished in SoCal along the oil rigs. Much calmer seas, anchoring was easy. Up here, there's this thing called a Columbia Anchor system. I need to learn about that, have no clue. Other than seeing boats get on the throttle to pop the anchor buoy up. Really, really unusual. Down south I dropped anchor and pulled anchor.

F
FishSchooler
About a year ago, I was casting a bobber rig for no reason at rooster rock. It just snapped up above the stop, and I did not want to lose that rig. So, my friends and I, we took 2 giant logs and rolled them in the water, and I sat on them with a long stick to move around. didn't find the rig, but had a great time! Thing is, I went like 30 feet out and there was a wingdam there.

T
Troutier Bassier
I think i can Kinda Explain it,

You have 200 Feet of Anchor rope and a Round Bouy,
And your fishing in 30 Feet of water like Everyone else is,
So you drop your Anchor to the bottom and you let out and Extra 30 feet of Rope, then you throw out your Bouy and secure the rope to something,

When you got your limit ;) Secure the Rope to the Boat. and Drive, Drive fast enough to push the Bouy under water, And when the Bouy can't move anymore and it keeps going under. (5 Mins Later) You stop your boat and Pull your rope in, You will notice that the Bouy is next to he Anchor Chain.

This way you dont have to break your Back pulling in the Wieght of the Anchor from the Bottom of the River.

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
Troutier Bassier, thats kind of the idea but do NOT hold onto the anchor line and drive. Secure that line to your bow clete and pull the anchor. If that anchor snagges on something you could be pulled out of your boat with an anchor line secured to your arm or you arm could be out in the river somewhere.

I use about 300' of anchor line when I anchor in the Columbia. The reason folks use so much anchor line is because of the possibility of increased water flow. The water flow is regulated by how much water they let out of the dams and there is no warning. If you have a short anchor line there is the potential to have you bow sucked under water. With a long anchor line out the angle from your boat to your anchor is less and it gives you a margin of safety. With a less sharp angle on your anchor line and a piece of chain on your anchor you will also hold better when those barges pass by and send out those big wakes. The anchor pulling system makes it easier to pull in all that anchor line. It also giver you the ability to cut free of your anchor should you find yourself fighting a big old chinook.

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
i fish a 15 ft alaskan with a 15 hp merc at bonniville for sturgeon . never had a problem . sea worthy = common sense . ive pulled 12 footers up along side that boat . its a great boat . i know when it needs to come off the water though . ive fished bonnie , chinook landing , 33rd , been out when it was like glass , been out with 2 ft chop , all up and down that river . the best rule to follow is this : if YOU dont think its safe to go out in the conditions your facing , its not safe . and always use a lot of anchor line . always . be safe ! !

R
rainman
Troutier Bassier said:
I have a 15' with a 25 Motor and It works just fine,
The boat ramp is called Chinook Landing.
No you wouldent get laughed at.
Instead, Laugh at the guy who was the 9' Blow up boat with a electric motor.

What are you gonna be fishing for?

Naw, 15ft works great, just watch out for the wind.

G
GDBrown
Achor line & buoy

Achor line & buoy

I always used an anchor buoy when on the Columbia. General rule of thumb is 7 times the rope length as the depth of the water. The anchor buoy lets you release from the buoy to fight a fish then return to your spot to fish again. As usual good advice is to sit OFF to the side of more experienced boaters and learn from them. Good boating and be sure to get your boaters card before your are checked by the authorities.
GD

T
Thuggin4Life
Since we are talking about small boats. Do you think I could take my 12' valco out on the willy for sturgeon up in portland? Someone said a barge wake would sink me.

G
GDBrown
12 Ft boats

12 Ft boats

Thuggin4Life said:
Since we are talking about small boats. Do you think I could take my 12' valco out on the willy for sturgeon up in portland? Someone said a barge wake would sink me.

I use to take my old 12 ftr out on the Willy but there were times I was thinking it was not the best idea, especially down in the harbor. The wind kicks up some pretty good swells and the barges and larger boats can swomp you if you don't head into the wake. My biggest problem was remembering to put the dang plug in before I launched. I sunk that little boat twice while I took the car up into the lot!!:lol:

T
Troutier Bassier
:lol:
If The Nothing dose it in a Kayak sure as a johnson you can do it in something smaller.

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
Thuggin4Life said:

you will be fine , but just remember : sea worthy = common sense . dont over load it , i wouldnt go out with 3 adults in it . 3 adults at bonnie in my 15 alaskan is not a way i like to fish . always keep the bow pointed into the waves , dont let a barge wake come at the transom , and at anchor , always use plenty of anchor line . look into a anchor buoy . ohhh yeah , one more thing , dont know if i mentioned this or not : sea worthy = common sense .

S
SeaRay
Its got more to do with freeboard than the length of your boat.I take my 12ft Klamath every where except Astoria and the fishery near Bon. Dam, it has 18in. sides.I also do not go across the chanel(Or. to Wa.) if the weather is sketchy, remember if the wind waves kick up it will take you longer to get back to your port,and if you are running into the waves you will probably get wet.Don't play chicken with ships or barges they have the right of way .Don't anchor in the shipping chanel.I agree with others don't overload and use common sence especialy when anchoring.Do Have fun and good fishing.

M
McMudpuddle
I would not anchor anywhere near a hog line your first year out. I have seen some really scary stuff happen in a hog line, crossed and tangled anchor ropes, guys slamming into one and other, people getting hung up on the bottom and driving across four other anchor ropes to try and pull, all kinds of fun stuff.
If you fish the Columbia, just go find a nice piece of water 15-30ft deep with a decent flow, hang your stuff out and troll, or, if you feel the need to anchor, find a spot that no one else is fishing, drop anchor and practice. Just be sure you are 300 to 400 yards away from others sitting on anchor. These fish do swim in lanes, and the lanes go all the way from the ocean to the top of the system, not sure why everyone thinks they need to be right next to each other when the river is so BIG. PLEASE PUT ON YOUR PDF WHEN SETTING OR PULLING AN ANCHOR.

B
Bullitt
I see 15' boats with 15hp ob's all of the time on the CR around Portland. Most of them are Smokercraft Alaskan's. No problem in that boat. Most folks have the advice covered once your out there.

Anchoring in a hog line is not that bad. The key is when pulling your anchor pull it straight and paralell to the guys next to you. When dropping anchor, start from the bottom and idle up through the spot you want, look at how the boats are laying in relation to their anchor line and drop. Make sure you back down straight and use "sea anchors" off the corners of your boat to keep you steady. The bigger the better.

I don't like to fish in hog lines either but 9 time out of 10, there isn't one when I drop the anchor, It's just me. 45 minutes later I get to make a lot of new friends whether I want to or not. In my experience, fish will travel in lanes on certain days and you can be 40' to one side or the other and get nothing while one boat puts on a clinic. Been on both ends of that and luckily it's usually the latter than the former.

Good luck and be safe.