Invasive species school project

brandon4455

brandon4455

hey everyone, im doing a project on invasive species (i know easy right?) just a poserboard deal.. i picked the new zeland mudsnail (wasn't even on the list to choose from my teacher was suprised i knew anything about invasives) so .. i know the boat permit has to be purchased to prevent hitch hickers along with cleaning wading gear.. does anyone know of any other laws etc that help aid against the spread of invasive species? and i want to know if anyone would like to share their opinions on invasive species and what they trhink could be done to help stop them ( she said i get extra credit for getting opinions from people) thanks

brandon

E

eggs

No transportation of live aquatic animals across state lines.. no importing/smuggling of mudsnails period into the state for any reason dead or alive..

H

halibuthitman

most invasives are a shipping issue, not sport, most of these unwanted pesks were hitch hikers in ballast water in those giant trampers ( cargo ships ) you see sitting out in astoria and many other ports, they pump down in over seas ports, cross the ocean and pump the water out here to enter the rivers and ports... it cannot be stopped, the shipping lobby is more powerful than the enviromental protection agency. They will simply pass dumb laws like banning felt to make themselves feel better about what theylet happen, and fishermen will suffer broken legs and ankles becouse of it-

P

plumb2fish

[QUOTE=halibuthitman They will simply pass dumb laws like banning felt to make themselves feel better about what theylet happen, and fishermen will suffer broken legs and ankles becouse of it

Or worse....broken ankle is the last thing I would worry about in heavy water without felt soles....I may have to risk a ticket .....
Btw, there are also a couple of bils that are proposing to eliminate all non-native hatchery fish in oregon...not sure if that is relavant. But definitely long over due...

Last edited:
brandon4455

brandon4455

thanks for your input everyone i really appriciate it. this project should be done in a few hours thanks to you guys i may have the highest grade in my class :D

Last edited:
N

nwkiller

good idea brandon, way to go