Interesting Sandy River Float..Oxbow to Lewis & Clark

Irishrover
Irishrover
Yesterday I picked Eggs up at his house and with the driftboat in tow we headed for Oxbow Park. Grants schuttle took care of getting the truck to L&C park. He does a great schuttle job. We got to Oxbow at 8am and fished the park strech until 3pm. The naked lady was doing her naked lady thing :shock: at the "Naked Lady Hole". The water seemed kind of cold for that activity. We swung flies the whole time with nothing to show for it except a wee bit of sun burn and a good time. We fished down through the Power Line hole and continued toward Dabney Park.

At about 5pm we were just above Dabney near the Hole in the Wall hole when we saw a cooler floating down the river, up river from us. Then we saw two more bundles floating in the river. Eggs was on the oars and he rowed to intercept them. We picked up the two bundles which turned out to be back packs full of clothing and camp gear. Umong the things we found in the back pack was an almost empty bottle of Black Velvet whiskey!:think: The cooler was slowly floating down to where we had banked the boat and when Eggs went to retrieve it it darn near took him down river. The cooler was also full of clothing and camp gear. We had seen other folks on the river during the day and figured one of them must have flipped there boat or raft in the river. We figure that some body could be in trouble up river so I called 911, told them what we had found and the situation, and suggested that they have a Deputy meet us at the Dabney Boat Ramp. We met the Deputy and he advised us that they had in fact lost three people on a raft the day before. He said they put in at Dodge Park and were to be picked up by their mother yesterday at Oxbow. He said they never showed up. He said the gear was probably their stuff and that they must be on the bottom of the river. With our civic duty done Eggs and I wanted to get fishing, and on the move down to Lewis and Clark. Just as we shoved off from Daney and let the current take us away we saw a couple of rafts come into the ramp. It appeared that one of them was the long lost raft that the Sheriffs Office had been looking for. :rolleyes: One day late and one Park down river. I put my shoulders to the oars and got out of there, we had played our part and maybe there was a fish waiting for us.

Now just prior to pulling into the boat ramp at Dabney there was a young bikini clad girl who appeared to be some what intoxicated. She was yelling something at us and not having the best of hearing ability I just smilied and waved back at her like old folks who can't hear do. Now on the other hand being much younger than I and still in possession of his hearing Eggs yelled back at her "I'm only 28". Then she said something else and Eggs responded to her I'm younger than you! So I finally had to ask what the heck did she say? Eggs said, she said "Old Guys Rock". I darn near fell out of the boat laughing.:lol:

We had hopes of looking for spring chinook in the lower Sandy and tried at one spot just down from Big Bend. (Folks were already fishing the Big Bend Hole). I had wanted to fish one of my favorite lower Sandy holes right by Tadd Chicken and Dumpling. I had not taken into account the very high water in the Columbia and it's effects on the Sandy. Just below the Lower Gage hole the river turned into a lake. There was but just a wisper of a current if at all. There was no hole at Tadds just thick high none moving water. We took turns on the oars and got to the Lewis and Clark boat ramp. As we pulled up a large group of people were having a party on the ramp. This party included parked vehicles on the ramp. I took a while but they figured it out and moved so I could pull the boat out.

This was not the usual Sandy drift trip but all in all it was a good day.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: lilsalmon
B
beaverfan
Hahahaha LONG LIVE THE NAKED LADY!!!!! (I just hope that I never see the crazy old coot!)

Reactions: eggs
E
eggs
Great write up Lonn.. that was an interesting trip but awesome day on the water! It will be one I remember for a long time!

Reactions: OnTheFly
L
lilsalmon
Sounds like you had a very interesting day......was a beautiful day to be on the water, although I wasn't...

Y
youngbuck307
Lmao that's some good times right there!!!

Gunga
Gunga
Is there really a naked lady that swims the sandy, and if so is that legal?

Irishrover
Irishrover
youngfishtyler said:
Is there really a naked lady that swims the sandy, and if so is that legal?

Yes the lady is for real. She was in action on Friday. I won't not call what she does swimming. It's more like taking a bath. Nothing illegal going on just an older woman doing her thing. I think she is a wee bit touched. She walks up and down the bank carrying a rock on her head then after a while puts the rock down, stripps and goes into the river. I just hope it doesn't spook the fish away.

S
skunk
Thats funny that youngfish asked about the lady, dude we are on the river to fish, not see old people. haha

O
OnTheFly
That's great stuff! I guess the Sandy comes around a little earlier than the Clackamas. You've got to wait until a good hot day in summer over there before the tops start flying off.:shock:

Gunga
Gunga
skunk said:
Thats funny that youngfish asked about the lady, dude we are on the river to fish, not see old people. haha

I havnt fished the sandy since last year. And i dont plan on going to it to see an old naked lady. I go there to strictly fish. Lmao but your comment did make me laugh. :lol:

S
skunk
youngfishtyler said:
I havnt fished the sandy since last year. And i dont plan on going to it to see an old naked lady. I go there to strictly fish. Lmao but your comment did make me laugh. :lol:

:lol: I was just ribbing you. Always funny when fisherpeople get sidetracked. His report made the sandy sound very 'interesting'.

M
mgdguy
Great post, and good to hear the naked lady made it through another winter.

What has been seen cannot be unseen :shock:

Gunga
Gunga
mgdguy said:
What has been seen cannot be unseen :shock:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol: