Interactive Wilson River fishing map

G
GMR
Ive been wanting to go fish on the Wilson since its so close..
I think ill spend the day tomorro trying some of these holes and exploring new ones.
Would be cool if I ran into some OFF'rs

R
Riverman1983
I have fished the Wilson river for 30 years!! Not to Be a DICK but there is a reason that you dont find any good maps for the wilson or trask river. It is because the people who like to catch fish dont give up their holes so that way they still catch fish. Instead you should put in your time just like anyone else and learn the river. i get tried of people not having respect for the river or the people fishing it. when i am sitting at a fishing hole that will only fit one person and a group comes down and crowds me then starts getting in my way it kinda pisses a guy off.It's not like that is the only place to fish on the river. So people dont crowd or leave your trash! i get tired of picking it up. oh and if you cross my line you will know cause i will cut it, throw it in the water and smile.
JUST HAVE SOME RESPECT and happy fishing.

J
JeannaJigs
Riverman1983 said:
I have fished the Wilson river for 30 years!! Not to Be a DICK but there is a reason that you dont find any good maps for the wilson or trask river. It is because the people who like to catch fish dont give up their holes so that way they still catch fish. Instead you should put in your time just like anyone else and learn the river. i get tried of people not having respect for the river or the people fishing it. when i am sitting at a fishing hole that will only fit one person and a group comes down and crowds me then starts getting in my way it kinda pisses a guy off.It's not like that is the only place to fish on the river. So people dont crowd or leave your trash! i get tired of picking it up. oh and if you cross my line you will know cause i will cut it, throw it in the water and smile.

Chillllll out. No one owns a river, and the wilson has more access than most rivers I've been on...There's plenty of fish to go around. fish hold everywhere. This map was created a year ago for a fishing event to raise money for diabetes, for people that have never fished that river.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I don't know many holes that only have room for one fisherman. :lol:

F
Fishtopher
Riverman1983 said:
Hey bud, if you look hard enough you can find a few more maps on here to some pretty good "one person" fishin' holes. Oh, and there is this fantastic book published called Fishing in Oregon. Has more maps...matter of fact it tells you how to get to every "one person" fishin' hole on practically every body of water in Oregon. Crazy right? Maybe the reason You dont find them is You dont look.

Welcome to OFF.

C
ChezJfrey
beaverfan said:
I have sat back and watched this go on for long enough. Go find your own thread to trample on. This map was made for the "Lonnie Bird Memorial Drift OFF" also it was made for the people that don't have the time or ability to get out there and wonder around with there head chopped off for half a year. If you don't like it don't post here. This thread is intended to help people not for you few people to tell us we're all wrong. I mean come on these very same holes are on multiple sites, multiple books, and multiple maps. Good god, I'm glad you guys don't think I should have made a map for a dang diabetes fundraiser. This is just crap!

The bolded part is the use I would have for something like this. I have never caught a salmon or steelhead but intend to try in the near future. This kind of thing gives me a chance to visit a more appropriate/proven area (given I approach at a good time of season/year) and try some of the techniques I have seen here and at other internet sources. Once I catch one, I would then like to take the experience and try applying it at another river.

I will be able to take what I have learned about what the water, current and conditions looked like at the place(s) I visited from the map and how I (hopefully) caught that first fish. Like beaverfan stated, I don't feel I have the luxury of being able to devote countless hours over the course of years and something like this shortens the learning curve; and that's just what I'm looking to use this kind of information...as a learning tool that will enable me to apply acquired knowledge on my own somewhere else. It's kind of like using a 'guide' and I don't see much squabble about using that kind of resource.

Thanks for your efforts, beaverfan!

F
FishTastic
Riverman1983 said:

Oh now this is good. Get a clue. You cut my line, you'll get your ass kicked! Just have some respect eh?

A
aka trouble
i dont realy think ur very nice riverman ive ben fishing this river and realy thank beaverfan for making that map... u know u should have more respect then cutting peoples line thats just rude u dont own the river ... i never get hostile when people want to fish next to me even if they tangle my line ... i usaully help them learn bout are river or help net there fish ... but people like u are wat makes me sick .......

Last edited:
B
bmac_0021
I agree with AKA TROUBLE. If you cut my line, I will throw you in the water and make you find it. Don't talk crap on this forum. This forum on here is great and I have a great appreciation for it. You better not post a pic of yourself on here because if i see you out on the Wilson, we will have words.

G
GMR
can't we all just get along?
Some people are just asses and over react. Move onto the next hole and let them be sour..
Who needs em anyways, its just not worth the stress.
Ive been out on the Wilson a lot lately and there are so many holes that there is no reason to crowd anyone. That map only shows a VERY small fraction of them. Granted some holes are easier to fish than others, but learning to fish the harder ones just makes you
a better fisherman!

M
mgdguy
GMR said:
can't we all just get along?
Some people are just asses and over react. Move onto the next hole and let them be sour..
Who needs em anyways, its just not worth the stress.
Ive been out on the Wilson a lot lately and there are so many holes that there is no reason to crowd anyone. That map only shows a VERY small fraction of them. Granted some holes are easier to fish than others, but learning to fish the harder ones just makes you
a better fisherman!

AMEN man :clap:

G
GDBrown
Welcome Riverman1983

Welcome Riverman1983

Riverman1983,
I'd like to welcome you to OFF. It seems your first post on this thread about the Wilson river map got a few, no many, of our members dander up. What you didn't understand was the map was made for a group activity to benefit the Diabetes Association after the death of a forum members father-in-law.:( We had close to 50 people show up before daylight to spend the day fishing together on the Wilson. Many of these fishermen and women traveled from down the valley and east of the mountains. The map was intended for them to be able to find a hole that might be fishable without having to spend years or even hours looking for them. (we only fished for about 5 hours) then gathered at a Pizza joint to enjoy each others company and tally up the donation totals and give out prizes from a raffle. It turned out that the river was blown out the day before (7.5 ft and rising) and only one small cutthroat was caught. :lol:
I too have spent 25 years fishing the Wilson and shared in making that map. I didn't give out all of "my" favorite holes but did show where some were that were easy to identify and easy to get to so the group could enjoy the day on OUR river. I fish the Wilson more often than any other here in Oregon. I care about the river and don't hesitate to turn in people who break laws or vandalize property. I clean up after myself and everyone else it seems as I imagine you do too.
If you have followed what goes on here at OFF, you know that we sometime get a little hot under the collar but also love to have fun and poke fun at each other. It goes both ways and that is what make our community enjoyable.:clap: We are about helping each other enjoy fishing. We have some who are talented and seem to be successful no matter where the fish or what they fish for. Then there are some like me who are anything but talented and really celebrate when we have a good day.:dance: I don't care if I catch fish as much as I care about being outdoors and enjoying nature as God intended. I get as much joy out of seeing a fellow angler land a big one as I do landing my own. I have fished next to many of the members here and they are a joy to be with and share the fun of fishing.
If you are like me and spend the majority of your fishing hours alone then you have learned to enjoy the solitude that can be found on the water. There are plenty of places to be alone and I'm sure you know where they are. The Wilson is really not one of them. But most casual fisherman rarely venture more than 1/4 mile from where they park their car so all we have to do is walk a little father to get away from the crowd. We are probably similar in age so if you see a guy out there fishing by himself with a target on the back of his vest come say hi and introduce yourself. Maybe we can enjoy our time on the water together.:think:
Gene Brown
Hillsboro, OR

T
Thuggin4Life
If some retard crosses my line i wont be very nice and never am when it happens. btw only fished the wilson once but these retards are everywhere.

W
wozniasm
Thanks much for putting this together! It helps newbies like myself that don't know the areas to spend time on the water rather than cruising on the road for a spot. It's really appreciated!
Does anyone have something like this for the Clack or Sandy?

R
Riverman1983
i have been fish that river since 1983 and well i am a old man and if someone is trying to kick my butt i usually will let my gun do the talking. and i am not talking crap just bring up the fact that not many people respect that river. and yes it is a worthy cause and i dont knock you for it. there just needs to be more respectful fishermen around as i was out just the other day and hooked into a fall chinook and some ass through his line in a tangled with my line causing me to lose my fish. then i go to some holes and there is trash everywhere! i get tired of picking it up. and as far as a one person hole... yes you are right there is no one person holes but that doesn't mean you have to stand right next to me when there is lots of river around!!
didn't want to hurt anyones feelings but come on.

Last edited:
R
Riverman1983
you seem like a wise man. i am easy to find. i am the one that free dives in all the holes and i mark down the changes from year to year

F
Fishtopher
Nobody's gonna hurt anyone man. Just a little bit of "whose got the biggest e-weener" stuff happens on the internet sometimes. Im sure if you met anyone from here in your wilson adventures, you would be glad to know there are still respectful fisherpeople out there.

But if you ever fish over here in the valley, here's another half completed map...

Urban Hog Questin - Google Maps

There's a spot for everything on here. Even Carp!!!

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
:whistle::think:After further thought, crab lovers might want to check the map in a few days and see if it's been updated with some fantastic crabbin' flats in T-Bay!! I can't give away any spots outside the bay since I always go outside the jaws in friends or family's boats, and fish their spots. :naughty:Wont give away their spots but there should be a few of "my own" here in a few days on the map.:lol:

:D

W
wozniasm
I have fished the Wilson river for 30 years!!
ChezJfrey; Thanks for your post. I just got back to reading some. Your response "was made for the people that don't have the time or ability to get out there and wonder around with there head chopped off for half a year." is the main reason I left IFISH (attitude) and came to this forum. I like getting to know others that enjoy what I like and share each others talents and not just hear braggin' rights. Sharing info so that others can get a chance to catch a big one gives me a good idea on a person's personality - like Fishin'freak and others answering many questions when I first became a member. Thanks much for your support and all you other folks!
I'd be honored to share a river with you anytime!

S
Shale
Oh my, is this a god send. I am heading out to fish tomorrow and I wanted to find place to fish on the Wilson (I have always hit up the Trask.) I had no idea where to start and now I do! This is awesome! Thanks for putting this together! (Thank you Thank you Thank you!)