Interactive Wilson River fishing map

F
FishTastic
EXACTLY! I could not have said it better.

J
JSpencer
Besides, we didn't put every hole down. And you're also not obligated to go to the holes that we marked. If its more fun to you to play hide and go seek with the fish, by all means have at it. This was indeed created for that event, and many people will be heading there for their first time for this one day event. This just gives them a starting point and by no means is a be all end all guide to fishing the Wilson.

F
FishTastic
Yet another use for this map, you can use this map to mark off holes you visit and add new holes you find. Every trip I take to the Wilson I always seem to forget to check a couple holes because I am focussed on others. If I checked them off as I go I would be less likely to skip any possible fish.

H
halibuthitman
well as long as we are giving away the keys to the city.... over half of my fish on the wilson have come out of less than two feet of water, these fish act a lot like a stream trout.. hanging to rest in seams and rock eddies.. so work every foot of available holding water, and give the runs a shot as you go by cause steel spend a lot of time in fast water, and don't get too hung up on the "holes" those fish see too much pressure on a weekend anyway. good luck all-

F
Fishtopher
i haven't looked at the map yet, but just reading this thread it sounds like HH's favorite spot is on the map.:lol:

H
halibuthitman
well I will say I almost added about 150 "other" spots to that map;) but as Bob Dylan said " your old road is rapidly fading, please get out of the new one if ya can't lend a hand, oh times they are a'changin" so I wish you luck with your endeavor. Mabe we could make a iphone app for it:think:

Y
youngbuck307
Lol you guys crack me up and funnie part is i like the map because they are some of the easyer holes to find like me and bigdog found most of the holes on that map in a day trip he had a few from his first time there i had a few from my first time. bad part was we couldnt remember what turn out they were or what milemarker it was we wanted to be fishin stuff like this makes it easy to remember where the holes are at for us who dont get to hit it much. we might of already found a good hole once say in summer but go back now and o man everything looks different to me lol

F
FishTastic
:lol: Oh my.....The Wilson is one easy river to learn quickly, like youngbuck said, figured out most of it in a day! Yet some folks act like it is their entire lifes work or something. I am floored that people are making such a huge deal out of this.

H
halibuthitman
FishTastic said:
:lol: Oh my.....The Wilson is one easy river to learn quickly, like youngbuck said, figured out most of it in a day! Yet some folks act like it is their entire lifes work or something. I am floored that people are making such a huge deal out of this.

its not the wilson im worried about... its the concept, fishing is an outdoor sport, computers are an indoor sport, I used to have fun getting lost before mapquest.. now push a button and wham! no adventure... this to me is like road hunting for deer... or sex without foreplay... it all gets the job done, but the end result is not as fullfilling... to me, and I am obviously standing in the minority circle on this point of view... so enjoy your technology, its what its there for.

F
FishTastic
halibuthitman said:
its not the wilson im worried about... its the concept, fishing is an outdoor sport, computers are an indoor sport, I used to have fun getting lost before mapquest.. now push a button and wham! no adventure... this to me is like road hunting for deer... or sex without foreplay... it all gets the job done, but the end result is not as fullfilling... to me, and I am obviously standing in the minority circle on this point of view... so enjoy your technology, its what its there for.

Afterall, technology was intended to make life easier as a whole:D. So I will say it again for all of those that missed it the first time. The map was created to level the playing field somewhat for anglers attending the Lonnie Bird Memorial Fish Off, many of which have no knowledge of the Wilson River.

halibuthitman, If this were under different circumstances I might agree with you.

F
fishtales
Well I'm some what of a betting man. I' bet a buck that the first fish caught that day will be caught at the guide shop hole or just up stream from it.

Out of respect to the cause I will donate the winnings if I win.

This is probably not the best place to post it but i though it might help the cause.

Last edited:
Y
youngbuck307
O i have a blast getting lost too but and thats what we did on our trip out there most places we got out without fishing rods first so we could walk down check out what the water look in that area and move down to the next pull off because it looked better down there lol.

and halibuthitman i think part of it is that newer people who havent got into fishing to much yet and just dont really know where to go on the great rivers they hear us talking about.... so finding that spot by map is ok for them for now.... I have to say i used online a lot when i first started fishing now all i want to do is get away from everyone so kinda no point to go places are really talked about online now i just go out and find my own. just like someone who is first starting hunting might find it quite fun to be road hunting deer because they dont know how to go out and do it any other way yet and road hunting would be a easy way to start... now someone who has hunted all there life done evan think hunting with a gun is fun and will only do it with a bow make it a challenging sport.....

maybe hard for you to see why people use online to find holes to fish because you guys didn't have computers back when you started fishing.....probably still using smoke signals back then;) u know im just messin with u man

F
FishTastic
fishtales said:
Well I'm some what of a betting man. I' bet a buck that the first fish caught that day will be caught at the guide shop hole or just up stream from it.

Out of respect to the cause I will donate the winnings if I win.

This is probably not the best place to post it but i though it might help the cause.

:DI'll take that bet. I am betting a buck that the first 'live,legal, fair hooked fish" will be caught at Donaldson Landing on a orange honey comb corkie and a piece of white Pop A Top Yarn with a sliver of secret bait on the hook.

L
luv2fish
:clap:
halibuthitman said:
well I will say I almost added about 150 "other" spots to that map;) but as Bob Dylan said " your old road is rapidly fading, please get out of the new one if ya can't lend a hand, oh times they are a'changin" so I wish you luck with your endeavor. Mabe we could make a iphone app for it:think:

:clap: :clap:

i hear ya man...

To the rest of hole overs...its not the idea which is bad ..its the idea of making a sport crippled which bothers me....i have hunted in the part of the world where there's no hunting accessories to BRAG about your kill... NO OFFENSE but people who show a big muley to me or a big perfect 10 pointer..its all useless if you tell me the "tonnage of gear" you took with you to bring that massive beast down...

I'm not sayin that my ways are best but just an example....i've hunted reindeer and kind of elks in denmark and germany...in a tough condition.especially for a person who just started living only 2 months back and never had seen snow before in his life....means where the snow was just limitless...and we didn't had any hunting gear except our snow coat and our 416 Rigby...i know its kind of an old rifle but i tell you what that it'l bring an elephant down without giving it a second chance to groan.
And we found our kill and hunted for 3 rigorous months....funny part is that my hunting partener was my client...

the point is that if you learn and know how to read the nature around you...it conveys better than any of modern gadget.

Lastly i very much doubt it that if you keep doing fishing by holes ..good chances are you gonna end up a limited angler with limited knowledge.....

scale of achievement varies from people to people...so by all means stick with holes if thats what you want...i don see any problem in that...

Lastly...this whole discussion is not focussed on which way is better..its about the pride of sport and the genuinity and tradition we keep alive....

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
I have sat back and watched this go on for long enough. Go find your own thread to trample on. This map was made for the "Lonnie Bird Memorial Drift OFF" also it was made for the people that don't have the time or ability to get out there and wonder around with there head chopped off for half a year. If you don't like it don't post here. This thread is intended to help people not for you few people to tell us we're all wrong. I mean come on these very same holes are on multiple sites, multiple books, and multiple maps. Good god, I'm glad you guys don't think I should have made a map for a dang diabetes fundraiser. This is just crap!

L
luv2fish
beaverfan said:
I have sat back and watched this go on for long enough. Go find your own thread to trample on. This map was made for the "Lonnie Bird Memorial Drift OFF" also it was made for the people that don't have the time or ability to get out there and wonder around with there head chopped off for half a year. If you don't like it don't post here. This thread is intended to help people not for you few people to tell us we're all wrong. I mean come on these very same holes are on multiple sites, multiple books, and multiple maps. Good god, I'm glad you guys don't think I should have made a map for a dang diabetes fundraiser. This is just crap!

Beaverfan......there's no need to be all hanky panky about it..if you have made it for special reason...its alight...all the comments and discussions are cuz its a forum and everybody has the right for ifs and buts...
We are not talking about somebody's private hole. This info is everywhere..we are talking in general and all should be taken as a learning experience.....Regarding my personl opinion described above its just my personal opinion and not an attempt to belittle you.
If I have offended you in any way I apologise for that . But its a forum and opinions always differ.

J
JeannaJigs
I thank you beaverfan for posting this. I am by no means a lazy angler that just wants to use technology to find fish. I have done my share of footwork on my local rivers, long before I even had internet. This map, like has been said, was created for those attending the fish off. I am one of those people that is greatly appreciative of the effort put into this whole event, especially of this map that seems to have offended so many. I am driving 3 hours from Eugene, to fish one day, and one day only, on a river I've never even seen. So rather than spending excessive time driving, trying to locate good water...I will have a little heads up, and hopefully get to spend more time with my line in the water. So once again, THANK YOU to those of you that have contributed to this

J
JSpencer
beaverfan said:

/sign
/agree

You guys may think you're not intending to offend people, but fact is you are. It was indeed meant to help those coming out there for a one time event, many who wont even return to the river (or at least on any regular basis). So please, if you guys want to continue bashing this thread, do it with each other in whispers.

G
GDBrown
Great Map Idea

Great Map Idea

This is a great way for people to see how fishable a river is and saves on gas too. I've spent years on the Wilson and most of the holes are good year to year but after a week like we are having now a lot of holes will be gone and new one will have been created.

WilsonWaterlevel.png

I put a placemarker at the begining of Hwy 6 in Tillamook so I can "get directions" to find out what milemaker the hole is near. Works great and I like the way I can "view in google earth" and save all the placemarkers on my local PC.

Thanks for the idea Beaverfan, now if someone will do the same thing for the :dance:Clack and the :pray:Sandy I'll be all set to learn them as well.

GD

B
beaverfan
So you gonna make it to the Lonnie Bird Memorial Drift OFF? If so I would like to fish with ya.