Installing Transducer

J
joesnuffy
I got a new fishfinder for X-mas and am just now getting around to installing it.

I need to install the Xducer on the transom and was curious if any of you had some tips. I'll be poking some holes in the boat, do i need to use some sort of sealer or something around the screw holes?

Anything else?

F
fishnquest
Use the template that came with it to install; it does make a pretty big difference if it is off even only a little. My boat is small, transom is thin, so I substituted the self-tapping screws with machine screws with nuts on the inside and used sealer on the screws. Worked great. Thats all I got. Good luck.

J
joesnuffy
i don't see a template in the instructions. I think the self tapping will be fine in my case.

F
fishnquest
I have only installed two in my life; both humminbirds. Mine came with templates. I regretted when I didn't use it; worked great standing still, but all jumpy when moving; I had to play with adjustment, but did get it dialed in eventuallly.

H
Hawk
My transducer was already installed on my boat.

If i was doing it i would cover the screw threads with a good grade of Silicone. A silicone that will hold up in saltwater or freshwater. imho.

Any time i drill some holes through or partially through the hull, i use some silicone.

Best of Luck to you Bro.

D
dudeone
Get one of those white poly cutting boards at Bi Mart and cut asmall piece however big you need it and marine epoxy it to the hull no holes needed i did mine this way and its been on for 4 years without a problem, that way you can move it without drilling holes in the hull. Joe S was i talking to you in bi mart last friday by the jigs i forgot to ask you at the time?

S
stream2.5
3m 4600 adhesive sealant and if at all possible use nut and bolt, stainless steel of course.. make sure the transducer is level.... and ot mounted to low so to cause it to spray a large rooter tail at speed...

always start with the xducer at its lowest and work up the mount adjustment if it sprays excessively..

mount the unit in a secure, dry, and sun shaded location where at all possible... and besure to follow instructions...

T
Thuggin4Life
I followed the instructions to the T with mounting it to the right side of the prop and I got it as far to the side as possible and mounted it like they showed it in reference to how flush it is to the hull and the angle in which the ywanted it to be and made sure it was level. I took the bracket and traced it on some plywood and cut it out for the inside ot he boat. I used the stainless hardware it came with. After marking and drilling the holes (I think i drilled into the wood a bit) using some marine grade sealeant that reminded me off shoegoo I filled the holes in the wood, the entire piece of plywood were it sat against the aluminum, and dabbed some on the outside on the holes. put the wood piece in place and sucked the transducer bracket to aluminum and the plywood. and then i ran a bead around the edge of the plywood block were it met the aluminum. doest leak a drop. After looking at the screw holes I think it did it wrong though. the two that are meant to be able to be loosened so you can move the transducer up a bit are set to were it will only adjust down. and even though i did mine to the T I get the rooseter tail effect and when I speed the boat up the finder isn't accrate markind the depth deeper than it is and marking fish everywhere. but this only happens at high speeds. I'll take a picture of it. the manual said if it rooster tail to move it out of the water a bit but its exactly in the spot they sai is best and don't se it being better to move it up the transome any plus the third hole on the transduced bracket would have to be redrilled and in my case it did it backwards so it staying wear its at with the rooster tail.

M
mudslinging79
i have the same problem with the rooster tail on mine, i made a splash guard to re direct the spray out toward the back for a while, then i ended up just taking the transducer off the bracket, and leaving the bracket. when i plan to troll, or use the device, its only a matter of mounting the transducer to the bracket. not for everybody, but was getting frustrated dinkering with the dang thing.

J
joesnuffy
dudeone said:
Get one of those white poly cutting boards at Bi Mart and cut asmall piece however big you need it and marine epoxy it to the hull no holes needed i did mine this way and its been on for 4 years without a problem, that way you can move it without drilling holes in the hull. Joe S was i talking to you in bi mart last friday by the jigs i forgot to ask you at the time?

That may have been me. I'm at BiMart all the time and the trips seem to blur together.

I installed the transducer last night and I "think" i've got it installed correctly. I'll find out when i finally get it on the water.

Discovered at the last moment that i need to rerun the cable from it to the screen. ARGH! not a big hassle but just when you think your done.........

H
halibuthitman
Andy, unless you spent a fortune on your sounder its not gonna work well at anything over 10 mph... especially in deep water.

M
mudslinging79
+1... i was the one who called in to the company bout it not working at speed, was the millionth time they were asked bout that. for the lower priced units, it works similar to radar, sound wave goes out and reflections are picked up on the return. if one is waterskiing while using it, your sound waves go out and your gone by the time the return would hit, if that makes sense...

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah I was upset at first after doing everything by the book for location. It does work rather well while fishing. the book says it will work at high speeds so I thought i would be cool to cruise around and look for fish but it isn't happening. I have to stick to what I know and t=my best gues and wait to see if the finder backs up my theory when I get there and start fishing. Can't complain it was close to 200 and I got it for like 100 or 120 at dicks on sale so not a bad deal and it oes its job and is a dual beam. Someday I will have a 1000 unit that does it all but for now depth, fish, fish size, bottom conture/structure, and water temp in black and white will do the trick. I must have used the thing on 20 trips now and haven't had to charge the battery yet. Only thing is I wish the other one was on sale that was basically the same other than it also did speed. Dont the y make things for jogging or something that are fairly cheap and handheld that tell you how fast you a are going? I think I seen kfallscody with something in his hand in a video. maybe I could get on I would really like to know the speed its driving me crazy. I don't know any one with a base model finder that has had it work at high speed but the company says it will. Next finder will be expensive on an expensive boat and be installed profesionally and it better do what the box says.

M
mudslinging79
lot of people use a handheld gps to find speed, what battery you using? i went with a heavy duty motorcycle battery, as my boat doesn't have electric start, and i need to think compact for a 12 foot zodiak

T
Thuggin4Life
Ok I'll google handheld gps. Are they cheap? Looking for a cheap way to find out speed. I boat a walmart special battery. Deep cycle marine battery about the size of an optima battery. I think the fish finder must just not use any juice. Its the only thing running off of it right now. Things may change when I do away with the clip on lights.

M
mudslinging79
im looking at one at sportsmens for $150, which has the capability to have upgraded maps downloaded in it, course ill also use it for hunting as well...

M
mudslinging79
though depending on the model, you may be able to pick up the paddlewheel spedo that wires into your reciever, i have either the hummingbird 525 or 535 model, which has the input port for the optional spedo setup. you have to mount the bracket for it similar to the transducer, though i gear the gps is more accurate, as wind, current and other varibles can affect the paddlewheel reading

S
stream2.5
didn't i say leave it lose so oe can raise it up to eliminate the spray......... i believe i did... this your interference due to aerated water flow.... their instructionswork on fiberglass boats with notched transoms.... not aluminum boats... the bottom needs to be basically flus with the hull to avoid the spray.... some people.. sheesh..... ok im done ranting.... now fix it sso i dont laugh at the rooster tail comming off your transducerr as you cruise by

S
stream2.5
Thuggin4Life said:
Next finder will be expensive on an expensive boat and be installed profesionally and it better do what the box says.

or ya could have called..... phone calls are always free....... and your " cheepo" would work right..... i kept a botom line at 75 mph with my race boat... and it didn't spray a single bit... and did i mention it was a M56 lowrance maping GPS/FF that i paid 100.00 for brand new in box.... ( bought 5 total )

as for speed... either a cheep water tattle tale style gauge, or a hand held GPS... a 35 mph 3" speedometer will cost about 60.00 plus the time for you to install it... or just find a good functional used hand held GPS at any reputible pawn shop for a few bucks.... really good ones sell for around 50.00 used, or 150 for a new base model.... all GPS display current speed... so you dont need a ubber fancy one if all you need is speedo..

as for lights wiring... before ya get all gun ho.. call and ill tell ya the best way to set the system up.... and for a depth finder and a set of lights a normal motor cycle battery will run everything flawless ly.... a FF uses 3 A max draw, and 3 lights for nav and ancor use about 5A total...

S
stream2.5
halibuthitman said:
Andy, unless you spent a fortune on your sounder its not gonna work well at anything over 10 mph... especially in deep water.

not always true........ a lot of the big dolllar units use the same transducer as the really cheep o units use... so this isn't always the case..... its more in setup of the transducer.... just like CB's of the 70's bigger antenne dont always mean big talking.... i fthey arent tuned you might as well have stubs...