Inshore Oregon central coast

T
TheBigFoote
I moved out to Oregon a few years ago and have been focused on learning to fish in rivers. I've done well and this year I am purchasing a large kayak to hit the coast/bays, I really miss fishing the ocean. I live in Springfield, anyone fish the coast near florence or winchester bay? I come out from California and I could launch almost anywhere with a rocky coast and find structure with fish, will the same be true here? If not, what should I be focusing on?

Reactions: Ikijime and Raincatcher
Irishrover
Irishrover
Roger Dodger on here is an avid kayak ocean fisherman. He should be able to give some good tips. I fish the ocean but I use an offshore boat.
Florence does seem to be a good location. Give him a PM and check out some of his previous post.

Reactions: Ikijime, troutdude and Raincatcher
T
TheBigFoote
Thanks, will do!

troutdude
troutdude
Great idea Lonn.

@rogerdodger have you seen this thread?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
TheBigFoote said:
I moved out to Oregon a few years ago and have been focused on learning to fish in rivers. I've done well and this year I am purchasing a large kayak to hit the coast/bays, I really miss fishing the ocean. I live in Springfield, anyone fish the coast near florence or winchester bay? I come out from California and I could launch almost anywhere with a rocky coast and find structure with fish, will the same be true here? If not, what should I be focusing on?

I live in Florence and fish the central coast mostly out of a 2019 Hobie Outback with my dog on the back. Almost no structure near Florence, I bottom fish and crab the ocean out of Sunset Bay (just south of Charleston) and also the mouth of CoosBay (heading there tomorrow for crab/lingcod/rockfish...) and sometimes the RR bridge area near North Bend. Hit me with a PM. You should also check out the NWKA forum, it's fishing info is a bit more focused on the Columbia/Willamette areas and north Oregon Coast ocean out of Depot Bay, Tillamook Bay, and Pacific City. NWKA is real good for kayaks, rigging and safety gear info.

Reactions: Ikijime and troutdude
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
if you haven't kayak fished off-shore in the Northwest, you might want to get familiar with tracking conditions and looking for "go" days.

This is my favorite website and I look for days with total combined swell of 4' or less, ideally >11s period and wind under 10mph and not blowing offshore:

https://magicseaweed.com/Coos-Bay-Surf-Report/320/
This is my 4th year going out of Sunset Bay, I identify about 12 "go" days per year,. Last year, I made it out on 7 of them. There are more good ocean days on the north coast but the longer drive isn't worth it for me. I just fish CoosBay north jetty when the ocean is a bit too bumpy to fish.

I also use the NWS hourly wind forecast and this one to confirm wind:

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=43.345;-124.273;11&l=rain-3h

Reactions: Ikijime and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
We have animated wind in Oregon? Who knew? o_O

• Haha
Reactions: wils
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
as for kayaks to use in "ocean and near ocean" waters OFF Oregon, I would be careful to avoid either too large or too small, especially if you are planning to do actual surf launches.

I'm a Hobie guy, so for instance, a PA14 is not a good choice; PA12 would be a 'maybe' (it's a bit heavy and tall, especially in the surf). The best from Hobie would be: Revo (11, 13 or 16), 12' Outback- especially the new one :), 12' Compass, the 14' Oasis can be run solo.

Reactions: Ikijime
4labs
4labs
https://www.weather.gov/pqr/barcams

A bit of a drive but a lot a guys launch at brookings and good motels
Hopefully the cam for brookings and reedsport will be on line soon

Reactions: rogerdodger
T
TheBigFoote
Thank you for all your tips, I have been researching ocean conditions and Rogerdodgers comments are really helpful. I went with a 13.5' jackson kraken, just came in yesterday. A Hobie would be awesome for the peddles but I can't afford that when I consider the cost of the other needed equipment I purchased. It sounds like ill be fishing the bays in most conditions. In California there were really large bays, here most bays are entrances to river systems. How far from the mouth should I be focusing? Do saltwater fish generally move in and out with the tide in this system or can consistent fishing be found regardless of tide inside the bay?

Reactions: Ikijime
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
TheBigFoote said:
Thank you for all your tips, I have been researching ocean conditions and Rogerdodgers comments are really helpful. I went with a 13.5' jackson kraken, just came in yesterday. A Hobie would be awesome for the peddles but I can't afford that when I consider the cost of the other needed equipment I purchased. It sounds like ill be fishing the bays in most conditions. In California there were really large bays, here most bays are entrances to river systems. How far from the mouth should I be focusing? Do saltwater fish generally move in and out with the tide in this system or can consistent fishing be found regardless of tide inside the bay?

I think it totally depends on the system that you are talking about. Keeping in mind that I'm a central coast guy, some have almost no ocean fish (Siuslaw, Alsea) and some have decent fishing in some areas say a half mile or mile up from the bar (CoosBay, Yaquina). I don't think of the tides so much as effecting fish I am targeting moving in or out but rather the tide effects the bite and my ability to effectively fish in those areas. The only location farther up that I have had, I think it's safe to say, some success with several ocean species :D, is the RR bridge area of CoosBay. But fishing there changes year-to-year and is somewhat seasonal. cheers, roger

Reactions: Ikijime, TheBigFoote and plumbertom
cknowles673
cknowles673
rogerdodger said:
as for kayaks to use in "ocean and near ocean" waters OFF Oregon, I would be careful to avoid either too large or too small, especially if you are planning to do actual surf launches.

I'm a Hobie guy, so for instance, a PA14 is not a good choice; PA12 would be a 'maybe' (it's a bit heavy and tall, especially in the surf). The best from Hobie would be: Revo (11, 13 or 16), 12' Outback- especially the new one :), 12' Compass, the 14' Oasis can be run solo.
Thanks for this tip!