Info needed

R
rjpeterson72
I will be flying to Corvalis to visit my brother in either Middle of August or mid Sept. I would like to fish, but don't have very much info as when would be the better month, to fish for salmon and steelhead. Also if anyone could point me in the right direction location wise. I have never fished Oregon, but hear it can be very productive, any help will be appreciated. Rob

R
RunWithSasquatch
August and September can be two really different months on where to fish, as far as salmon... If you come in September, all of the coastal rivers will offer a shot at a chinook in tidewater, and a lot will offer opertunities in the lower river, there are a few variables to that though, water temps/ and if we get any rain early. Steelhead can be found in the Siletz at that time, and if you hit a patch of rain, it can be lights out on that river during that time of the year, I would recomend doing some search of the Alsea and the Siletz through old posts to help tune your self in, those are the two local rivers to Corvallis.

C
Combat Chuck
The S. Santiam will still be good in August for summer steelhead. Its the other side of town from the coastal rivers.

R
rjpeterson72
RunWithSasquatch said:
August and September can be two really different months on where to fish, as far as salmon... If you come in September, all of the coastal rivers will offer a shot at a chinook in tidewater, and a lot will offer opertunities in the lower river, there are a few variables to that though, water temps/ and if we get any rain early. Steelhead can be found in the Siletz at that time, and if you hit a patch of rain, it can be lights out on that river during that time of the year, I would recomend doing some search of the Alsea and the Siletz through old posts to help tune your self in, those are the two local rivers to Corvallis.

Thanks for the info. I think I will plan on mid Sept. How is the Rogue that time of year?

R
RunWithSasquatch
Your getting pretty broad for your first trip fishing in Oregon, there is a big learning curve for each river, in order to be succesful you have to put a lot of time in to learn all the nitches for punching your tag. The Rogue that time of the year for chinook fishes in the lower river, and is not an easy bank fishing river, its all plunking down low. Trolling herring spinner rigs starts in mid July for chinook, and will go through august and into september, mid to late august being prime. The water coming off the rogue is in the mid 70's that time of the year, and those fish will not penetrate that warm water, and fallow the cold ocean water in and out of the bay feeding on bait fish, until the rain comes, and cools the river, then its a race.... I recomend a guide....

Last edited:
E
eat, sleep, fish
rjpeterson72 said:
Thanks for the info. I think I will plan on mid Sept. How is the Rogue that time of year?

It can be good, but the last few years have been dismal for fall chinook. I have to disagree with RunWithSasquatch about the fish not moving though. I constantly here that from people, but my experience says otherwise. Mid-Sept is usually pretty good fishing in the middle river, but it's also the start of the down swing and finding a bright fish can be hard. There is quite a bit of access in the area though. From the mouth of the Applegate down to Galice gives plenty of spots to fish.

The best fishing on the Rogue during that time though is in the upper river for summer steelhead. It is fly fishing only, but you can use a spinning rod with a bobber. No additional weight is allowed however. For some recommended flies check out The Salmon Kid's video's. You can catch fish from the hatchery all the way down to what used to be Gold Ray, and the fishing should be good through the entire stretch. There is also a lot of bank access throughout the stretch.

If you're looking for something closer to Corvallis though, the Alsea and Siletz should have fall kings coming in at that time. Fish just above tidewater if it's rained recently, otherwise you'll need a boat to troll tidewater. The Siletz will also have summer steelhead in the upper river. The S. Santiam is also close for some summer steelhead fishing.

Good luck where ever you decide to fish.

R
rjpeterson72
thanks for the info

thanks for the info

I just want to thank both of you for your info. As for runwithsasquatch I do understand that each river requires a different approach and timing is everything. I don't think I will use a guide, I will research techniques on the internet and as the time approaches, maybe talk to some of my brothers friends. I am really looking forward to fishing Oregon. I have had the opportunity to fish Alaska twice, Maine for Atlantics, and I fish the Erie and Ontario tribs constantly, because it is only a couple hours drive. Anyway thanks again for the info, I will let you guys know when I will be in your neck of the woods, maybe you could show me a thing or two.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Look forward to some reports rj!

ESF, I agree that there is fish in the middle rogue during that time, but I dont think they shoot right up, they spend a lot of time in the bay. When I float from Galice down to Foster Bar, I have seen on a lot of occassions around the Mule Creek area the fish are stacked on top of each other underneath of a side creek that is pooring cold water into the river. They really dont like that temp of water. Its always been right at the end of August, when I see the fish up in there.