Inflatible raft help!

C
Cowboykid8
So i just got a Sevylor super caravelle raft this week, and am planning to take it out near the Sandy delta where I fished all summer.

I am not worried about the current being too swift, but if I decided to head more in to the Columbia would a trolling motor help keep me from heading down river?

Also, amount of line for an anchor? Lb. test? and Weight of anchor?

Do I need to get the aquatic invasive species permit?

Any help, thoughts, or horror stories would be helpful and appreciated!!!

B
BobbiDollPDX
10 ft + requires Invasive Species Permit, Trolling motor requires registration

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
With little current, 5lb mushroom anchor might hold you - I always used heavy clothes-line for such a small anchor when I used it on my float tube. In heavier current, you'll probably want something a lot beefier - both for anchor line and anchor weight. You'll also want to have a plan to get back to your vehicle, as if you wind up in the big C, you might have a hell of a time trying to row against the current. Not sure a trolling motor is going to be a lot better either. Is your raft one with a wood transom for mounting a motor, or is it rubber all around (thus leaving with the question of how, exactly, would you mount the electric safely?)

Summertime flows are a lot lower than they are right now - if you're thinking of floating that section in a raft right now - I would reconsider. Water temps being low, with low air temps would spell disaster in a hurry if you wind up in the water. PFD use is a must, as is some form of signaling device should you wind up in distress - an air horn would probably be better than a whistle in that regard. Both would be better than just one.

H
Hawk
I wouldn't use an INflatable raft on any fast moving river like the Columbia,. Very Dangerous. :shock:

F
FunFishClub
I have a fish hunter 360 but I wouldn't take it farther than L&C as is be afraid of gettin pulled into the Columbia. I don't think a tolling motor would help you in any flow getting up river but I could be wrong. Most those inflatable have pretty bad drag in my opinion. Get in a ugly situation and you won't be happy or safe. I would only plan on going down stream with inflatable under $1k

C
Cowboykid8
Thanks for the advise guys! I went out on Saturday for about 6 hours. No bites, and the few other boats that were out there didn't seem to have any more luck. I used a 20lb concrete anchor, which was over-kill, but was able to stay out of the main current no problem. Might have more fun this summer when the water isn't so darn cold. Now if I could find the fish anywhere!