inexperienced fisherdude

U
unlucky
I'm in a dilemma, My girlfriend son wants me to help him catch a salmon. My problem is I've barely been able to catch one for myself. Mainly because in the past I've not had much time for fishing due to work and younger children.
So here I am hoping someone can point me to the right fishing hole at the right time of the season? I've got a number of fishing poles and a ton of equipment just don't know where to go. Anyways any help would be very much appreciated.
We are hopping to find an area not too far from the Beaverton area? On the flip side we don't mind driving an hour or two.

Last edited:
A
Anyfishisfine
It's a drive from Beaverton, but Oxbow park would be a great place to start. Easy access to a number of proven holes. You also have the Wilson, but that requires a bit of scouting to find some nice holes.

You could also hire a guide to increase the odds of the boy landing a fish, and learn new water. The fist lesson he needs to learn is that you have to make a whole lot of casts to see a salmon on the bank.

B
bigdog
If it was me I would take him out to the sandy river area. Head for somewhere like dodge park next week or the week after next. With the rain that has came in and is coming in it should be pretty hot up there the next couple weeks. I would toss eggs under a bobber and try to keep them about 6" to 1' off the bottome of the river. Only hard thing is to find good store bought eggs. I can't ever remember the name of them but for the store bought eggs I would go for the ones that begain with the letter M :lol: Sorry I can't recall the name of them but they are the one store bought ones that I have heard good things about. I cure my own though so I'm not sure of the name of them and not sure how good they work I have never used them but have heard good things though. Don't be afraid of tossing some spinner though if the eggs don't pan out after a while. Good luck I hope this helps you get the kid in to some fish out there. It's great to see younge ones get in to there first big fish just make sure to bring us back some pictures though.

CJ

B
bigdog
Anyfishisfine said:
The fist lesson he needs to learn is that you have to make a whole lot of casts to see a salmon on the bank.

Isn't that the truth lolI can't wait for the day I can get my youngest to have the patience to go fishing with me, for now I guess taking her to the rainbow trout farm and hitting the lunker pond will have to do. The looks on her face when she goes there is so worth the money it cost to take her.

C
c_chickens
pay a guide! or find some 1 with a boat! unless u want 2 b side by side on the bank!

Troutski
Troutski
Targeted fish....

Targeted fish....

unlucky said:
I'm in a dilemma, My girlfriend son wants me to help him catch a salmon. My problem is I've barely been able to catch one for myself. Mainly because in the past I've not had much time for fishing due to work and younger children.
So here I am hoping someone can point me to the right fishing hole at the right time of the season? I've got a number of fishing poles and a ton of equipment just don't know where to go. Anyways any help would be very much appreciated.
We are hopping to find an area not too far from the Beaverton area? On the flip side we don't mind driving an hour or two.

How old are the kids, and what species are you looking to target? If it is just the fact of putting them into some fish...check out the hatchery threads in your drive area...you will have none stop action and get them hooked:cool:
Oh yea, welcome to OFF...you should check out our archives for hints on tackle, baits and the such. Great to have you on board.

Chuck

B
bigdog
Oh yeah welcome to the forum lol Didn't even notice you are new to here sorry about that. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

CJ

U
unlucky
bigdog said:
Oh yeah welcome to the forum lol Didn't even notice you are new to here sorry about that. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

CJ

Thanks Guys for the info and the kid is 12 years old. I got him hooked on trought, but now he's after much bigger fish.

U
unlucky
Thanks for the info Anyfishfine. I really appreciate the tip. The kid has a strong fishing bone. We have had some moderate success with trout but he's differently ready for some bigger game.

C
c_chickens
try bass fishn! b4 the season ends! much better then trout fishn!

C
c_chickens

B
beaverfan
c_chickens said:

But it aint no Salmon fishing.

I say wait about 3 weeks and hit the Wilson, there'll be some Chinook, plenty of Steelhead, and a ton of native Coho.

W
wozniasm
For a 12 year old, St. Louis Ponds has a kids fishing day this coming Saturday (25th) if you would settle for trout. They usually put in some trophy's.