Independence Bridge

M
Mattdm22
Was fishing just right of the bridge by south salem river road on Independence side and there are some big fish here. We caught some squawfish but something else was hitting our rods. Hoping it was some catfish but we are headed back today with more bait. We fish by this Island almost like a slough but its not. Has anyone tried fishing here if so what do we expect to catch besides those ugly squaw.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I've wanted to try down there,but never found a way to get down to the river...I usually end up at the park in Independence.

B
bigsteel
nice fish,,,i too have driven over that bridge a 1,000 times on the way to a jobsite.....looks like ill have to set my appointment for later and hit the river there

M
Mattdm22
Yeah there is a place to park right as you pass over the bridge on the right side. Next to the Welcome to Independence sign by all the cars for sale. There's a trail that leads down there. Haven't tried parking at the park. The spot I fish at is right behind the construction site in between the bridge and the park.

troutdude
troutdude
Looks like a chub to me.

Try some topwater plugs...you just might find some smallie's in there!

N
nwkiller
ive never caught a chub before, how do they fight?

N
nwkiller
that just sounds wrong......

M
Mattdm22
They don't really fight to me just reel em in like you have some weeds on your hook. We were searching for some decent bass spots and this spot has some great potential for bass. a lot of hangover growth from the bank and felled trees off the bank. I'm going to try fishing the point where the channel meets the willie and see what I can pull in. I'll post my results later.

troutdude
troutdude
It's been a while, since I've caught any chubs. But, when I did...they got tossed up on the bank and left for the 'coons to consume. They don't fight much, if at all, and they choke out the bass and other game fish...similar to what carp do.

(I'm not slamming people who like to fish for these species...I just personally don't care for them--especially when they choke out my favorite bass spots).

R
rainbowfisherman
I've always wanted to fish there but never quite got around to it. Now i will probley have to try it out! Where you in the actually river or just in a slough?

M
Mattdm22
rainbowfisherman said:
I've always wanted to fish there but never quite got around to it. Now i will probley have to try it out! Where you in the actually river or just in a slough?

It's a slough but where we fish it's right where it connects to the willie. Was there today tryin for some bass no luck so went back to the bottom caught some chub. I really don't fish for them I fish for whatever takes my line out which happens to be chub lol. Now that I know they choke out what I've been searching for I'll just leave em on the bank for the critters. What kind of catfish are in this kind of area does anyone know?

C
capblack
that looks like a whitefish to me. were you fishing on the bottom? with a worm? Brian

M
Mattdm22
Yup just letting it drift in the current.

C
capblack
yehh, Ive caught them in detroit and bigcliff fishing worms off the bottom, there actually not bad to eat either. welcome to the forum, Brian

C
capblack
fishing places like the willamette is really cool because you never know what your going to catch, theres so many different fish in there. makes me want to go right now. think Ill wait till saturday though

M
Mattdm22
Thanks! I don't know about eating them lol. there were some teenagers down there fishing yesterday, they mentioned the taco stand by brooke & terry's coffee shop buys them for their fish taco's. Don't know if it's true but my advice is.. STAY away from them taco's.

B
bigsteel
Mattdm22 said:
Thanks! I don't know about eating them lol. there were some teenagers down there fishing yesterday, they mentioned the taco stand by brooke & terry's coffee shop buys them for their fish taco's. Don't know if it's true but my advice is.. STAY away from them taco's.

oh god i almost ate there the other day

D
Drew9870
That is a Chiselmouth, a Mountain Whitefish is more shadlike. Pretty crazy because someone fishing next to me yesterday on the Willamette caught one, and it was the first time I've seen one

Last edited:
I
Indifisher
Mattdm22 - There are a lot of big carp in that slough area. Wait until the water level drops and that area becomes cut off from the river. You can stand on the bridge and watch around 50 huge carp swim leasurely around. I fished the Willamette both Sat and Sun morning for Steelhead from my boat. I put in at Buena Vista and headed up to the mouth of the Santiam. Not much action, accept those dam little guys you are holding. Can't keep them, and Pike Minnows, OFF eggs in this area.

brandon4455
brandon4455
ive been fishing there for a number of years. ive caught smallmouth chubs my uncle caught a sturgeon and a steelhead that's a decent fishing spot when is there is access try spinners for the smallies btw