Incredibly confused about Hagg

M
mustardthetrout
I'm trying to figure out how to fish Hagg lake and have been overwhelmed by all the information on this forum about it. Everyone seems to have a different way of doing it and I'm honestly incredibly confused. I'm just interested in catching some trout and/or bass from my kayak and would like to know where in the lake and what baits or lures would be a good place to start. I know there's a million posts here about Hagg but I'd still appreciate it if someone gave me some tip'.

B
bubs
1) I've never had much trouble catching SOMETHING from Hagg, and I'm 100% bank bound. You have a kayak, so you already have a big leg up on me! (translation: you'll be fine dude)

2) I doubt there's actually THAT much variation in how people are fishing the lake at any given time. For trout: powerbait or worms off the bottom or trolling (usually some kind of wedding ring, probably doesn't really even matter - when the bite is on, it's on). For bass: mostly soft plastics (stick to this at first), though I've caught them on crankbaits and spoons/spinners as well. Point is, those are some of the mainstays, and most variation is probably due to past posts on here being posted at different times of year and at different points in the stocking schedule!

3) Don't wait until noon to go fishing. I know I know, you can fish deeper later in the day, and some days it doesn't matter. But I can't count how many mornings I've fished Hagg and the bite dropped off around 10-12...it's a constant source of amusement to me when people show up in the middle of the day scratching their heads at why the fish aren't active!

4) Lastly, if God suddenly granted me a kayak today (wouldn't that be cool!), I would cruise the coves on the north/northeast side of the lake (f*** Sain Creek, too many people, not enough cover) pitching plastics at (pre)spawn bass, they're everywhere. Youtube how to fish the different rigs if you don't know. I would also have a rod rigged with some nymphs to pitch to trout in the same areas, there are definitely schools of trout cruising the shallows this time of year. While this is just what I would do, it doesn't really matter, my description still tells you where there are likely to be fish and how they're thinking this time of year!

Golfbum
Golfbum
Bank fished near Ramp A this Tuesday morning, C & R about 15 stocker trout, all on PowerBait, went home around 10am.

M
mustardthetrout
Thank you for the help! I'll give it a try sometime.

bass
bass
The hidden message is that there are so many different ways to fish Hagg because there are so many fish!

I believe that there are lots of individual schools of trout and that the schools behave differently. Some are out in open water and some are closer to shore. I prefer trolling since I am only out there to C&R. I am sure that bait fishing is at least as effective, and if you are keeping fish then that is a good way to go.

I think that for bass fishing Berg03 is the man on Hagg lake. I do pretty well but he does much better. I would ping him for bass fishing advice.

I
iairj84
Probably the easiest and one of the most effective ways to catch fish that I have found is to simply drag around a jointed rapala in a rainbow trout pattern http://www.amazon.com/Rapala-Jointed-07-Fishing-Lures/dp/B001NXD05K this lure will get hits from Rainbows (little cannibals they are sometimes) but more so from Bass. Since you're in a kayak (and I am too) It's very easy to simply let out 50ft or so of line and simply drag it behind you as you move from spot to spot. I have found this lure to be effective at hagg lake, the willamette, as well as other fisheries around. You can also cast this lure if you'd prefer, but I will pretty much always be towing one of those little guys behind the kayak when fishing... Be sure to set your drag fairly light and set it in the rod holder behind you (or front really for that matter.) You won't likely catch a bunch of fish this way, but I can't think of a trip out that I haven't caught at least one fish with this method... It's just easy... Also the lure floats so you don't have to worry about it getting caught up on something when you stop (aside from your rudder if you have one.)

M
mustardthetrout
Thanks for the advice everyone!

portlandrain
portlandrain
iairj84 said:
Probably the easiest and one of the most effective ways to catch fish that I have found is to simply drag around a jointed rapala in a rainbow trout pattern http://www.amazon.com/Rapala-Jointed-07-Fishing-Lures/dp/B001NXD05K this lure will get hits from Rainbows (little cannibals they are sometimes) but more so from Bass. Since you're in a kayak (and I am too) It's very easy to simply let out 50ft or so of line and simply drag it behind you as you move from spot to spot. I have found this lure to be effective at hagg lake, the willamette, as well as other fisheries around. You can also cast this lure if you'd prefer, but I will pretty much always be towing one of those little guys behind the kayak when fishing... Be sure to set your drag fairly light and set it in the rod holder behind you (or front really for that matter.) You won't likely catch a bunch of fish this way, but I can't think of a trip out that I haven't caught at least one fish with this method... It's just easy... Also the lure floats so you don't have to worry about it getting caught up on something when you stop (aside from your rudder if you have one.)

The perch color one is also very good. I've caught bass and trout with that more than once with that. Both at hagg just last week.

M
montym
8f795fa7bf347708f9be42206310e540.jpg

Slight hijack but sorry could not resist. I bought the stuff that Quapaw sold, first cast with this thing I got from him with his rod and I got this beauty in Hagg. I reckon he was trying to mate rather than eat it.... Love the lake this time, you never know what's going to bite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

O
OnTheDrop
montym said:
8f795fa7bf347708f9be42206310e540.jpg

Slight hijack but sorry could not resist. I bought the stuff that Quapaw sold, first cast with this thing I got from him with his rod and I got this beauty in Hagg. I reckon he was trying to mate rather than eat it.... Love the lake this time, you never know what's going to bite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

lol! Love it Monty!