Increase your success 100% when using Eggs

B
boberdown
KILLER STEELHEAD CANDY!!!!!!
[ see pics below }
I call it this because it truly works and when using eggs my successs has improved 100%. its almost a given if there is a fish there and its going to hit eggs, you for one cannot mistake the bite and it will be fish on!!!.

my uncle use to do this back in the 80's and he was always comming home with fish. i think people quit doing it or most guys just dont want to take the time to do it? any way my cousin and i recently took it up again and it has been amazing to see the hook up's we have beeen getting.

wraping your eggs in netting and tieing it off with magic thred is the key! this is why... when the fish comes in to bite the eggs they get caught in there teeth, the same theory that is why we use yarn the yarn gets cauught in the teeth and thats when you can feel the bite better! well with the netting there is no mistake on the bite it gets caught in there teeth big time and if you try this when you get a fish you will see the netting is stll wrapped around there teeth. Another thing is if you happen to miss the bite and you know in your mind that was probly a fish, you know you will be right when you reel in your bait because it will be tore up and the netting will be destroyed. dang it is what i usualy say!!!lol also eggs can be messy and when putting them threw an egg loop on you hook they dont stay on very well and only last a couple casts or fall off on a cast! and your rebaiting agian. with the netting you can get about 10 cast or so until your eggs milk out. when putting the the steel head netting wrapped balls on all you do is run you hook threw the ball and cover the hook up completely and thats it it will stay on very well.

Here's how!

First i allways pre-cut my netting to about 4'' by 4'' size squares and cut 6'' long thred. i usually tie up around 30 or so what will fit in small tubaware container or jar. this can be a stcky mess so i lay out paper towells and keep a nice damp towell to keep my hand wiped off. another thing is i allways wash my hand off with lemon joy soap before handling my eggs and or where gloves if you got em.
PRE-CUT your eggs to dime and quarter sizes and place your eggs in the center of netting. after you have them all layed out grasp the netting and wrapp around eggs and then twist the netting so that you can wrap the magic thred loosely around the twist and then pull tight its elastic so it wont come loose { see pics } and waa laa your done!
trim off the top netting and put in your container with paper towell in bottom to soak up moisture.

I know this takes a lot of time but the pay off is amazing!!!

you now have steel head candy!!!!

give a man a fish and he eats for a night...teach a man to fish and he eats for life!!!!

take care and god bless!! and good luck!!

sincerly boberdown

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
Ive seen this done.. the guy I saw doing it would also pull a piece of pink marabou through the web for a little sight enticement-

T
THE JEFF
Ive done this for years mostly for coho but some times for steelheads. I use this nifty little kit that has a metal frame that you put thd netting on put in the eggs push them down into a hole then squeeze the frame together and melt the netting together with a lighter. It super fast and easy and you dont have to tie the sacs up. Im not sure if you can get the kits anymore but if you find one get it I really like mine.

N
nwkiller
roe sac

roe sac

jeff do you possibly know what the name of the tool is? or where you might have gotten it

thanks...chris

J
JeannaJigs
nwkiller said:
jeff do you possibly know what the name of the tool is? or where you might have gotten it

thanks...chris

Yup spawn sacs...been around a long time.

This is pretty much the only way I run eggs, it's easy and not as messy and your eggs stay on forever.

The tool in question is the "spawnee spawn sac machine" It works awesome and is like 10 bucks. Makes it a very quick less messy process.

J
JeannaJigs
And I got it at 2 bros tackle on McKinley, since I see that you're in Eugene.

F
Fishtopher
Great post man! I like to net mine up at home and store them just like plain ol' roe. As of right now I have 2 quarts of spawn sacs ready to fish! I love it, minimal mess, bait lasts 3x as long, and it works damnd good!:lol:

:clap:

T
THE JEFF
Thanks for helpig out with were to get one I got mine at a yard sale years ago. I use it all the time.

B
boberdown
JeannaJigs said:
Yup spawn sacs...been around a long time.

This is pretty much the only way I run eggs, it's easy and not as messy and your eggs stay on forever.

The tool in question is the "spawnee spawn sac machine" It works awesome and is like 10 bucks. Makes it a very quick less messy process.

well, i have to get my hands on one of those machines! thats cool i woulld like to see it work . does it make the sacs nice and tight? and also if you use a lighter to adhear it will that leave any burnt scent?? and or will this effect catching fish???

thank you jeanna for your reply.

J
JeannaJigs
You can get them TOO tight and squish the eggs if you're not careful lol. I just use the "magic thread" and have never had a sac come undone in the water, so I don't know about using a lighter. I myself wouldn't recommend it just because it works without. I also like to use these sacs for tuna balls for springers. use the tuna that comes in the oil.

J
JeannaJigs
T
THE JEFF
I always use a lighter and have never noticed any scent problems. Spawn sac work great, I have caught a lot of fish with them they are fast to make and not near as messy. That said I only use these for small baits, for coho and steelheads. I typically use loose eggs from my own cureing prosses or I use Pautzkes just like 3 or 4 per sac. For big baits like bobber and egg fall and spring chinook I like messy, gooey, runney, stinky eggs with out anything between the fish and the bait. ......But really the lighter works slick.

M
Mike123
Good tip! I've used spawn sacks here and there. I also wrap tuna in spawn netting for chinook... WHOOPS shouldn't have said that! ;)

H
halibuthitman
Mike123 said:
Good tip! I've used spawn sacks here and there. I also wrap tuna in spawn netting for chinook... WHOOPS shouldn't have said that! ;)

thats ok... Jigs already said it in this thread;)

N
nwkiller
thanks a lot everyone, ive used spawn sacs but the stupid ones they sell premade just aren't as good as home made

B
boberdown
tuna wraps

tuna wraps

Mike123 said:

you know my cousin said he uses tuna for springers as well and at first i looked at him like he was nuts, but he told me he has great success doing it! so i will give it a shot this spring! :D

J
JeannaJigs
Yep works, not always, but enough. That oil it comes in stinks something fierce but they like it.

B
boberdown
tuna wraps

tuna wraps

JeannaJigs said:
Yep works, not always, but enough. That oil it comes in stinks something fierce but they like it.

might work great for sturgeon???