In terms of the cost of licenses & tags for 2010...

In terms of the cost of licenses & tags for 2010...

• Total voters
troutdude
troutdude
Perhaps now that we are nearing a membership level of 4,000 OFF'ers...we can have some impact on License & Tag fees, charged by ODFW.

In 2009 (if I recall correctly), a standard resident Angler's license cost $24.50. Then, in 2010, that cost soared by over 34.5% (again, if I am not mistaken), to a whopping $33.00. That is the largest one-year cost increase, that I can recall. There may have been other such gigantic increases; and if there were...maybe we should start another thread.

I wish that I could've had a 34% SALARY INCREASE last year! How about you?

Now I know, that not all of that new revenue was an increase in ODFW's pay structure...but, c'mon man...that DEMANDS an accounting...don't you think???

So, here is a poll to see how OFF members feel about such an ENOURMOUS increase. Did we all see a 34% increase in the health of our fisheries? Do you think that our fisheries were managed well? Do you feel, that ODFW employees deserve a huge pay raise? Let's find out.

The more OFF'ers that post there input here...the more impact we will have on the powers at ODFW. C'mon folks, here is your chance to let them know how you thought that ODFW performed in 2010!

CAST YOUR VOTE, OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE.

P.S. ODFW employees are more than welcome to chime in, and add comments as you wish.

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
I think I payed $76 today. Fishing license, harvest tag, hatchery tag... I also went home with a new lamiglas plug rod :D

troutdude
troutdude
I'd like to stay focused on LAST year (2010), and not the current license fees. The poll is about how we feel about what we paid for last year. Now the that year is over; did we get our "money's worth"?

Thank you.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Of course i feel its too much. but overall its not bad considering u only have to pay once for a year of fishing fun!

Maybe we should get refunded on taxes for helping the odfw?

B
BobbiDollPDX
Considering how much fun I had fishing last year, how much fish I ate and still have in my freezer... I'm not losing any sleep over the price of my tags.

S
skunk
The only issue I have is that I can fish out of state in WA, cheaper than IN state here in OR. So I guess I ask are our fisheryies better or worse managed than Wa?

C
ChezJfrey
If it makes you feel any better, I still have the 1981 and 1983 regulations and looking back, the annual angling tag went from $9.00 in 1981 to $12.00 in 1983 and the salmon/steelhead tag went from $2.00 to $5.00. That's a 33.3% increase for the annual license and a 150% increase for the tag :)

C
capblack
do i think the prices are too high? yes do i feel it was worth it? of course otherwise i wouldnt buy them every year.

H
halibuthitman
I paid less than 50 cents a fish-

C
chris61182
troutdude said:
In 2009 (if I recall correctly), a standard resident Angler's license cost $24.50. Then, in 2010, that cost soared by over 34.5% (again, if I am not mistaken), to a whopping $33.00. That is the largest one-year cost increase, that I can recall. There may have been other such gigantic increases; and if there were...maybe we should start another thread.

I wish that I could've had a 34% SALARY INCREASE last year! How about you?

Now I know, that not all of that new revenue was an increase in ODFW's pay structure...but, c'mon man...that DEMANDS an accounting...don't you think???

Just a little bit of googling and I found this, http://www.dfw.state.or.us/agency/budget/docs/2009/budget_fact_sheet.pdf

Given the last increase was in 2004, that's not an unreasonably large increase to cover inflation over that period of time, and I believe the state legislature put a little bit extra on top to cover the inflation for a few additional years as well.

I don't know if I'd rather have a 4-6% increase each year or if it would be more palatable to do large jumps every few years like this. All I do know is I keep buying the necessary licenses, so I must be at least breaking even value wise.

F
fishkiller
chris61182 said:
Just a little bit of googling and I found this, http://www.dfw.state.or.us/agency/budget/docs/2009/budget_fact_sheet.pdf

Given the last increase was in 2004, that's not an unreasonably large increase to cover inflation over that period of time, and I believe the state legislature put a little bit extra on top to cover the inflation for a few additional years as well.

I don't know if I'd rather have a 4-6% increase each year or if it would be more palatable to do large jumps every few years like this. All I do know is I keep buying the necessary licenses, so I must be at least breaking even value wise.

YEAH, but what did we get in return? How are the runs looking? A 30% increase is extreme and unexplainable in a down economy!! What do we get a few more biologists with a BS agenda to further restrict a natural resource. We don't get a lot of help from the Feds, they issue a memorandium to kill seals and it's overturned by a circut court. There is no happy medium and unfortunately the sportsman fits the bill. I garantee that's not by choice. Kick the bums out!!

F
fishkiller
ChezJfrey said:
If it makes you feel any better, I still have the 1981 and 1983 regulations and looking back, the annual angling tag went from $9.00 in 1981 to $12.00 in 1983 and the salmon/steelhead tag went from $2.00 to $5.00. That's a 33.3% increase for the annual license and a 150% increase for the tag :)

Once again that was during a recession and how did that help set us up for the future?

B
beaverfan
I spent way more money on fishing line last year than I did on my license and tags. You want to ***** about something ***** about the high price of fishing tackle!

F
fishkiller
beaverfan said:
I spent way more money on fishing line last year than I did on my license and tags. You want to ***** about something ***** about the high price of fishing tackle!

It's all relative I'm sure.

W
waco
I got my 2010 license in june and i think it was totally worth the money!!!! and you are talking of 34.5% increase on the cost but it just one time in the year can you i magine if you got a 34% salary increase you are talking about $3 per hour for the minimun wage !!!! we just had to save $0.63 a week to paid it!!! thats nothing

E
eggs
While the state is in black and cutting programs, so far we have only lost 1 old hatchery due to cuts. Lottery and permit/tags keep our sport afloat, if I have to pay a bit more to keep other state budge issues from effecting my sport I am 100% ok with it. Its better then taxing every state resident to fund our sport regardless if they take place in it or not.... Or shutting down hatcheries, stop conservation and restoration programs that hurts all of us and our children and childrens' children. ODFW employees have had staff cuts and don't think they got 34% pay raises.

This isn't an issue of what you got out of the water for the fee but what you got out of it knowing you are doing it without harming nature as much as the year before and possible getting something out of it while inproving nature over last year!

Last edited:
C
chris61182
fishkiller said:
A 30% increase is extreme and unexplainable in a down economy!!

With that part in particular it sounds like you would prefer a yearly increase to match the cost of business? Perhaps a moratorium on the increase during down economic times followed by making it up when the economy recovers?

It's doesn't fix the current problem but going forward it sounds like the sort of thing ODFW might want to consider.

K
Kais
I shouldn't have voted. i am a minor and the price is pretty cheap.

J
John B
As with any business, I'm quite sure there are areas that could be twicked that would save
dollars and increase productivity. When I see four ODFW people standing on a dock with their
arms folded across thier chest scratching their chins discussing how to install rod holders on the
dock, it seems to me that the personel required to do this could be cut by two. This is an example
for all state agencys.