In terms of the cost of licenses & tags for 2010...

In terms of the cost of licenses & tags for 2010...

• Total voters
T
TTFishon
halibuthitman said:
I paid less than 50 cents a fish-

Does that include gas and tackle?

F
fishkiller
Amberjack said:
Just a question and not trying to stir the pot, but have you volunteered for any river clean ups? or restoration projects for ODFW?

I have a question for the masses, is ODFW funded by the state, feds or do they rely soley on license and hunting tag revenues?

As far as studies, I have been a part of the tag and release program (as a volunteer) for Black Sea Bass. Great program, catch as many sea bass as you can and help ODFW tag, record and release.

How many black sea bass do you kill unintentionally?

A
Amberjack
fishkiller said:
How many black sea bass do you kill unintentionally?

I went out twice, we caught and tagged in excess of 500 sea bass, unfortunately we lost one.

F
fishkiller
Amberjack said:
I went out twice, we caught and tagged in excess of 500 sea bass, unfortunately we lost one.

What a shame. What does a Black sea bass go for these days?

A
Amberjack
chris61182 said:
The link to the pdf I posted earlier today has the exact details but it's primarily licenses bought by us, secondarily federal funds from the excise taxes we pay on our hunting/fishing goods, and then a smattering from lottery, a little from commercial licenses, and a tiny bit from the general fund.

Thank you for the information, the financial structure is quite similar to the one here in AZ. The fishery and probably the hunting in OR is twice what it is here. Here in AZ the AZGF (Arizona Game & Fish) field personal are also law enforcement (Poaching, excess limits, wrong species, etc), bewilders me why ODFW is not and OSP is involved?

Oh well point is with funding for managing a state with so much, the costs of licenses seems incidental, and actually is quite reasonable.

A
Amberjack
fishkiller said:

What is your point?

F
fishkiller
Amberjack said:
What is your point?
My point is all game in OR should be considered an asset and should be protected as such. All quarry should be treated as a line item when it comes to ODFWs budget. Obviously we can't compare an Elk to a Black sea bass, but there should be some kind of equation. Especially when I pay just as much as you or more and I choose not to play the catch and release game with the Black sea bass.

F
fishkiller
Amberjack said:
Thank you for the information, the financial structure is quite similar to the one here in AZ. The fishery and probably the hunting in OR is twice what it is here. Here in AZ the AZGF (Arizona Game & Fish) field personal are also law enforcement (Poaching, excess limits, wrong species, etc), bewilders me why ODFW is not and OSP is involved?

Oh well point is with funding for managing a state with so much, the costs of licenses seems incidental, and actually is quite reasonable.

Actually a portion of our tag fees fund the OSP and all of us who pay property taxes also fund the OSP.

H
halibuthitman
TTFishon said:
Does that include gas and tackle?
I am a proffesional fisherman, I write off all gear, gas, and a portion of my home, boats and truck... don't hate the game, learn to play it-

H
halibuthitman
fishkiller said:

$1.05- 1.60 ex-vessel.... up to $4.50 lb at retail, studying rockfish is very important, they are like the canarys of the sea, the health of an edge shelf or lrdge can be judged by how its rock fish are doing, they also help spot indicators that other sea life that is difficult to study could be suffering from.. these studys are very important in my opinion.

F
fishkiller
halibuthitman said:
I am a proffesional fisherman, I write off all gear, gas, and a portion of my home, boats and truck... don't hate the game, learn to play it-

Way cool!!

A
Amberjack
fishkiller said:
My point is all game in OR should be considered an asset and should be protected as such. All quarry should be treated as a line item when it comes to ODFWs budget. Obviously we can't compare an Elk to a Black sea bass, but there should be some kind of equation. Especially when I pay just as much as you or more and I choose not to play the catch and release game with the Black sea bass.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you oppose the ODFW obtaining a grant to study Black Sea bass? The ODFW contracted one of our boats, used volunteer anglers to assist the ODFW research team to help tag, measure, and release, alive, over 4000 seabass. Is there some harm in studying the ocean fishery?

F
fishkiller
halibuthitman said:
$1.05- 1.60 ex-vessel.... up to $4.50 lb at retail, studying rockfish is very important, they are like the canarys of the sea, the health of an edge shelf or lrdge can be judged by how its rock fish are doing, they also help spot indicators that other sea life that is difficult to study could be suffering from.. these studys are very important in my opinion.

So would it be catastrophic to lose one?

A
Amberjack
halibuthitman said:

You too !!!. Me as well

A
Amberjack
BTW this thread is way off course now.

F
fishkiller
Amberjack said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but you oppose the ODFW obtaining a grant to study Black Sea bass? The ODFW contracted one of our boats, used volunteer anglers to assist the ODFW research team to help tag, measure, and release, alive, over 4000 seabass. Is there some harm in studying the ocean fishery?

How much did that cost us, the OR sportsman? Could you honestly say you only lost one fish out of 500? Those are great odds. Most of us live primarily live in OR so our tax dollars stay here.

H
halibuthitman
fishkiller said:
So would it be catastrophic to lose one?
well, the Alaskan pollock and cod trawl fleet catches about 100 million pounds of fish, they are allowed to kill up to 20% of that poundage in bycatch of pelagic ground fish= rockfish, so one... seems kinda small to me

A
Amberjack
fishkiller said:
Actually a portion of our tag fees fund the OSP and all of us who pay property taxes also fund the OSP.

Just seems odd to me, that if an ODFW employee finds a violation, that a second party needs to be called in to actually enforce it.

A
Amberjack
fishkiller said:
How much did that cost us, the OR sportsman? Could you honestly say you only lost one fish out of 500? Those are great odds. Most of us live primarily live in OR so our tax dollars stay here.

I have no clue what the costs are or do I care. It behooves the fisheries. If you are referring to my out of state residency, I own two residences in Oregon and a business that involves fishing in Newport... yes I pay my dues.

F
fishkiller
halibuthitman said:
well, the Alaskan pollock and cod trawl fleet catches about 100 million pounds of fish, they are allowed to kill up to 20% of that poundage in bycatch of pelagic ground fish= rockfish, so one... seems kinda small to me

YEP by-catch. My point is why is that fish free? It's all a resource.