In terms of the cost of licenses & tags for 2010...

In terms of the cost of licenses & tags for 2010...

• Total voters
J
John B
Oh, in response to the poll, to much.

B
bigsteel
chris61182 said:
With that part in particular it sounds like you would prefer a yearly increase to match the cost of business? Perhaps a moratorium on the increase during down economic times followed by making it up when the economy recovers?

It's doesn't fix the current problem but going forward it sounds like the sort of thing ODFW might want to consider.

how about no increase.how about odfw does what every average american is doing,cut their spending,have them liquidate their assets like every small private business has been doing.i dont care how much the fishinig license and tags are,thats all i do is fish..my problem is where the money is going.i dont want my money going to some half ass organazation,why should they get an increase in funding?it doesn't matter if its every year or every few years its BS...also i believe that hatchery programs are a bunch of garbage but they will never go away now,do you think odfw would really take a decrease in their spending by getting rid of hatcheries?NO its a money pit.. we pay millions and millions of dollars a year so that some moron can dump a bunch of INFERIOR hatchery fish in the river and then truck them back down river for more INCREASED ANGLER OPPROTUNITY.what a waste,they have turned our dwindling native fish runs into nothing more then a money grab. make hatcheries a private business then they LIVE on demand not by COOKING some books or making BS fish studies.

another thing is the ODFW guys who nap in their rigs or who wont even get out of the truck if its below 40 degrees,,theyre a complete waste,they have a guaranteed job with NO competition whatsoever..they remind me of the 10 guys standing around 1 pot hole while only 1 guy actually works and the rest are (surveying the situation).

like i said for people that like hatchery fish ODFW is your buddy,your drug dealer so to speak,so my guess is everyone will pay whatever they are told..

also instead of buying tags,if one is a strictly catch and release fishermen,you shouldnt have to buy a tag.maybe a cheap c&r card or something to show you are that fishermen.

any way rant over,,enjhoy the upcoming season everyone.

F
fishkiller
bigsteel said:
how about no increase.how about odfw does what every average american is doing,cut their spending,have them liquidate their assets like every small private business has been doing.i dont care how much the fishinig license and tags are,thats all i do is fish..my problem is where the money is going.i dont want my money going to some half ass organazation,why should they get an increase in funding?it doesn't matter if its every year or every few years its BS...also i believe that hatchery programs are a bunch of garbage but they will never go away now,do you think odfw would really take a decrease in their spending by getting rid of hatcheries?NO its a money pit.. we pay millions and millions of dollars a year so that some moron can dump a bunch of INFERIOR hatchery fish in the river and then truck them back down river for more INCREASED ANGLER OPPROTUNITY.what a waste,they have turned our dwindling native fish runs into nothing more then a money grab. make hatcheries a private business then they LIVE on demand not by COOKING some books or making BS fish studies.

another thing is the ODFW guys who nap in their rigs or who wont even get out of the truck if its below 40 degrees,,theyre a complete waste,they have a guaranteed job with NO competition whatsoever..they remind me of the 10 guys standing around 1 pot hole while only 1 guy actually works and the rest are (surveying the situation).

like i said for people that like hatchery fish ODFW is your buddy,your drug dealer so to speak,so my guess is everyone will pay whatever they are told..

also instead of buying tags,if one is a strictly catch and release fishermen,you shouldnt have to buy a tag.maybe a cheap c&r card or something to show you are that fishermen.

any way rant over,,enjhoy the upcoming season everyone.
+2 well said!! Please feel free to rant on.

F
fishkiller
I found some info ODFW. http://http://www.dfw.state.or.us/
Just go to the About us section and then click on the Buget Information section. It's quite shocking frankly. $275 million in requests from the legislature this Biennium budget. Sorry for the mix up I was looking a the wrong decimal place.

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
It's like everything else. The cost goes up i.g. gas, groceries, etc. But if we are to continue doing what we enjoy doing best we'll buy a licence no matter what the cost. Do snowboarders and skiers stay home because the price of an all day all lift ticket is too much?

G
GDBrown
Cheap fun! Better Therapy?

Cheap fun! Better Therapy?

The cost of my license is very small compared to the overall cost of my fishing activities and I get more bang for the buck with fishing that any other activity I do.:think: Even my TV service which, I use for more hours a day than I like to admit, is way more expensive than my fishing lic & tags.

I'll pay the cost even if they double it. It is what I love! Right after my wife and kids......

I know it is hard in the current economy, to justify the expense when there is no income to pay for a recreational activity, but sometimes our sanity is preserved by doing something other than worrying about how difficult life is right now.:( When I spend a hour or two on the water I can cope with the challenges better and my sociality is better for all that I come in contact with. The only thing better is when I am actively giving of my time or talents to someone less fortunate than I. (Like when I visited OTF up at St. V)

There are always concerns about how our funds are spent when the government is involved but the only way to change that is to get involved with government.:shock: Go to the public meetings, write letters or send e-mails. If all we do is fish then we get what we pay for.....

This forum has been actively involved in a lot of good works. Maybe it's time we do something to influence the ODFW. There is power in numbers and we now have the numbers to be an influence.:think: If every one of us sent a message to ODFW on how we would like to see things run (managed) and we were all in agreement on that message it would be persuasive.;)

Just some thoughts,
GD

I
imfishing
Tag Costs and Such...

Tag Costs and Such...

:lol:
This might be a little hijacky...

I firmly believe that most of the increased revenue goes into a fund...

What fund you ask...

The "SAM ADAMS PEDOPHILE AND REAL ESTATE DEFENSE FUND"....

Your general fund dollars at work....

Thanks for playing...

:lol:

C
capblack
Im pretty sure theres no link between funds to odfw and the portland mayor

F
fishkiller
capblack said:
Im pretty sure theres no link between funds to odfw and the portland mayor

A percentage comes from the general fund.

troutdude
troutdude
fishkiller said:
I found some info ODFW. http://http://www.dfw.state.or.us/
Just go to the About us section and then click on the Buget Information section. It's quite shocking frankly. $275 million in requests from the legislature this Biennium budget. Sorry for the mix up I was looking a the wrong decimal place.

Your link won't load up. I think it has one too many "http" in the link.

troutdude
troutdude
This has been a fun and informative thread so far. Thanks everyone.

If you haven't posted yet, we'd love to hear from you too!

E
everett464
Nope. Not too much. You gotta pay to play.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i agree that it's too much, but it would not bother me as much if they used it to clean up rivers and restore fish habitat and runs

A
Amberjack
brandon4455 said:
i agree that it's too much, but it would not bother me as much if they used it to clean up rivers and restore fish habitat and runs

Just a question and not trying to stir the pot, but have you volunteered for any river clean ups? or restoration projects for ODFW?

I have a question for the masses, is ODFW funded by the state, feds or do they rely soley on license and hunting tag revenues?

As far as studies, I have been a part of the tag and release program (as a volunteer) for Black Sea Bass. Great program, catch as many sea bass as you can and help ODFW tag, record and release.

brandon4455
brandon4455
not with ODFW but i have cleaned up shorelines all by myelf plenty of times i ALWAYS clean up garbage idk if a 16 year old can volunteer which is why i havent really looked into it

Last edited:
A
Amberjack
As long as you have a valid fishing license for tag and release programs, yes. Why not others as well??

E
everett464

They do these things.

brandon4455
brandon4455
idk, i really dont have many people that go fishing with me besides a few people on here my dad, grandpa and my uncles and they dont like cleaning other peoples mess... kinda upsets me but oh well its their life ill definitely consider volunteer work, it would be fun

C
chris61182
Amberjack said:
I have a question for the masses, is ODFW funded by the state, feds or do they rely soley on license and hunting tag revenues?

The link to the pdf I posted earlier today has the exact details but it's primarily licenses bought by us, secondarily federal funds from the excise taxes we pay on our hunting/fishing goods, and then a smattering from lottery, a little from commercial licenses, and a tiny bit from the general fund.