In need of a cascades lake suggestion

A
Anyfishisfine
I'll be heading over to my sister's in Madras this weekend for a camping trip, but it has been left up to me to figure out where to camp.

I have my eye on the La Pine/Century Drive area, somewhere quiet and fun to explore with a canoe would be great, and of course it has to have fish. There are a ton of lakes there, but I have no idea which are the good fishing spots. It's one of those deals where I don't care if I catch anything, but I'd love my sister and her husband to, especially since I'm picking the spot :)

I've heard good things about Waldo lake here, should that be at the top of my list?

L
lizardman
Just South of Madras and to the east off of HWY 97 is Haystack resevoir which has a very nice wild life area, and a nice campground. I know there are fish in there as When I lived in Madras I used to go there with my camera and take pictures of the Osprey and Blue Heron.

Also outside of Prineville headed up towards "Trout Creek" is a nice campground and the water is beautiful (it goes into a lake which is another man made resevoir). The last time I was there a friend and I were trying to find ferrel pigs as Oregon department of agriculture had put out an erradication order on the pigs so the only thing needed to hunt them was a hunting license. We went up the Ochocos via the town of Ashwood, drove across Trout creek twice (that is the way the road went and there were no bridges) and ended up in the state park/campground.

Dave

B
beaverfan
If you stay near LaPine you could check out Paulina and East Lake or give Lava lakes a try.

J
jlayman0270
East lake is HOT right now. We went over two weekends ago and had our limits FAST. Two good spots are called the "pumice slide" and the "red fissure". About 35 to 40 foot depth. Drop it to the bottom with your favorite bait and then reel it up about 5 cranks. Tons of atlantic salmon. Caught browns and rainbow too. Some big browns down there. Used ultra light gear and we could feel if a fish breathed on it.

(Bait we used was nightcrawlers - just a small piece - and a piece of wite corn that had been soaking in oil from a can of tuna. Make sandwiches for the trip out of it. :lol:)

That's my suggestion.

S
Sage_Flyguy
I was over at Paulina lake a couple weeknds ago , the fishing was good the Mosquitos were not so good... I suppose depending what you are fishing for , its getting a little warm now the Kokanee will be down deep... bottom fishing for trout always is fun...
We had the best luck running rapalas around the shore the first hour of daylight and then the last hour of daylight... we killed the Browns , I have heard the same success for people running the rapalas on East Lake as well.. Its a lot of fun bringing in those 18" Browns on a light action pole.

best of luck to ya
Jer

O
OnTheFly
Anyfishisfine said:
I'll be heading over to my sister's in Madras this weekend for a camping trip, but it has been left up to me to figure out where to camp.

I have my eye on the La Pine/Century Drive area, somewhere quiet and fun to explore with a canoe would be great, and of course it has to have fish. There are a ton of lakes there, but I have no idea which are the good fishing spots. It's one of those deals where I don't care if I catch anything, but I'd love my sister and her husband to, especially since I'm picking the spot :)

I've heard good things about Waldo lake here, should that be at the top of my list?

Depending on your camping style, RV, tent, etc. a great base camp would be Big or Little Lava Lake on the Cascade Hwy. Also Crane Prairie. And for fishing/canoeing I would recommend Hosmer Lake. Hosmer is fly fishing only though but for a peaceful paddle it's perfect! Go to the Fly Fishing section here on the forum and check out my thread Hosmer Lake Report.

A
Anyfishisfine
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a report when I get beck.