In-line & french spinners

O
Outdoor_Myers
Ok well I been checking around for wire to make some homemade spinners. I found 100ft of 16,14,18 gage wire at Lowes would this work or is too bendy?

B
beaverfan
In my opinion your best bet is buying the wire from wherever your getting your components, and use the ones with the preformed eyes. Do NOT use wire that has been coiled it's not worth the hassle trying to get it perfectly straight. The preformed ones are very cheap and will save you a ton of time. This is where I get mine. I use the .30 in the 4 and 6 inch.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/wire-lure-shafts/320608.aspx

D
DirectDrive
Outdoor_Myers said:
Ok well I been checking around for wire to make some homemade spinners. I found 100ft of 16,14,18 gage wire at Lowes would this work or is too bendy?

LOL ! Sorry dude :)
You can't use common hardware wire for spinners......well you could if you didn't mind the rust, weakness and limpness.

As beaverfan says, go to your blade supplier for the proper wire.

I use .029" diameter stainless steel wire for everything that I build. It gets harder on the hands/tools as you go fatter.
.029 is the best overall thickness, IMO.

I have twisted up thousands from coiled wire and the same from pre-formed, straightened wire shafts.

If you go the pre-formed route do not use "open end" for in-line spinners. The nature of the in-line bladed spinner allows for too much slack.....check it out, you'll see what I mean. For these use "closed end" wires.

For building French, the open end wires are great if you are using bodies that can "inhale" the dual wires that the open end presents. If you're using a simple body, you will need to go closed end.
Before buying open end pre-forms, verify the body that you intend to use will take them.

F
FishFinger
Being in Mac, It's a bit of a drive but I'd suggest taking a run to BC Angling Post in Gladstone. I use .027 of trout and .031 for salmon & Steelhead and .034 for spreaders and such. Avoid coiled wire at all cost!

D
DirectDrive
One of the best spinner shops on the planet is 26 mi south of Mac :
http://www.fishermanshack.net/Contact-Us-5.html

Don Greene is one of the last of the Mohicans :)
Prolly more economical for me to mail order, but it is always nice to see Don.

B
Bullitt
I get all of my wire from BC Angling and they do mail order as well. If you're in Salem some time, Wholesale sports also sells some precut wire packs that work in a pinch. I tend to use a bit heavier wire so I don't have to rebuild a spinner after every fish. I like the 6" lengths with the eye already formed for convienance. Guess I'm just getting old. :)

troutdude
troutdude
DirectDrive said:
One of the best spinner shops on the planet is 26 mi south of Mac :
http://www.fishermanshack.net/Contact-Us-5.html

Don Greene is one of the last of the Mohicans :)
Prolly more economical for me to mail order, but it is always nice to see Don.

Hear hear...Don Green's Fisherman's Shack is AWESOME! I live only 10 miles south of his location (he's between Corvallis and Monmouth on Hwy. 99W). He does have VERY GOOD quality components of all kinds.

L
lilsalmon
I have been waiting many weeks to get set up with components to make spinners....got all the tools, etc..unfortunatley the person that was to set me up blew me off I guess....one should never assume I'm not serious...:D Anyway, I seen Fishermans Shack when I was headin to EE....is he a really patient gentleman that would get a beginner going? Tired of waitin and anxious to give it a try..:whistle:

troutdude
troutdude
lilsalmon said:
I have been waiting many weeks to get set up with components to make spinners....got all the tools, etc..unfortunatley the person that was to set me up blew me off I guess....one should never assume I'm not serious...:D Anyway, I seen Fishermans Shack when I was headin to EE....is he a really patient gentleman that would get a beginner going? Tired of waitin and anxious to give it a try..:whistle:

Yes, Don Green is a nice fellow. He won't steer you wrong or try to oversell you.

Have you read Jed Davis' book yet? "Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout". It tells you all that you need to know about making 'em and using 'em.

L
lilsalmon
troutdude said:
Yes, Don Green is a nice fellow. He won't steer you wrong or try to oversell you.

Have you read Jed Davis' book yet? "Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout". It tells you all that you need to know about making 'em and using 'em.

Cool...thanks. Jeds book sits on the table by my bed......excellent read (at my age I have to read it a lot so's I can retain what I read 5 minutes before:confused:)

troutdude
troutdude
lilsalmon said:
Cool...thanks. Jeds book sits on the table by my bed......excellent read (at my age I have to read it a lot so's I can retain what I read 5 minutes before:confused:)

ROTFL...I hear ya sis! I got "gray matter" issues on my end big time.

Glad too see that you have Jed's book. The first time I made some of Jed's design and used them...I hooked into four monster 'nooks in one day!