I'm trying to give carp respect!

K
Kevinb5688
Ive been carp fishing the last few days (giving the bass around my area a break) and ive been reading what you all write on here, but my experiences have been different. Its almost to easy, they eat anything i throw at em. Worms, corn, bread, even gulp alive. I catch one almost as soon as it hits the bottom. Caught 30-40 fish in 4 hours today. A couple around 20lbs. Dont know if i should kill em or what to do with em. They probably taste like butt?
I just let them go for now. But the long tom seems to have way to many in it. If any of you guys live around monroe oregon i will tell you where im fishing.
I like a challenge, this seems to easy. But fun to fight. Everyone says there hard to catch but i havent had a problem there or any pond, or river around my area.
Its fun making baits but they eat worms just fine where im at and at least i catch bass, trout, and crappie too while im carp fishing.
Its fun thats why i go back, just feel like i should kill em or something cause theres thousands in there, but i C.P.R all other types of fish so idk.
What do you guys think?

Reactions: eggs, beaverfan and OnTheFly
D
Drew9870
I could name several ponds that are very tricky, but hold very large Carp. Carp are another fish, put Carp aside and think of Bass, some bodies of water are overpopulated with them, some waters are tricky to fish, same with Catfish, Crappie, etc. Some ponds around the valley are very tricky to fish, some of the closest bodies of water to me that hold Carp rarely get visited by me since they are so tricky.

I want to fish the Long Tom soon though, and Fern Ridge.

T
TTFishon
I don't think you should kill them unless you have a use for them.

J
JeannaJigs
Such as lawn fertilizer ;)

T
TTFishon
K
Kevinb5688
Ya thats a good idea. Lol.
I was never brave enough to eat one. I let all bass go, but ive been wanting to eat fish latley so i was wanting to catch catfish. Rumors a guy fishing where i am caught a 3 and 5 lb cat. Ive tried for 3 days, not one catfish. Using chicken liver, and magic baits catfish blood balls. can't get one if there in that area. Its fast water but i guess if carp are all over there catfish should be too. Any tips on great catfish bait i can try?

J
JeannaJigs
1. Catch carp
2. Fillet carp
3. Use carp fillets for catfish bait
4. Catch catfish
5. Hope and pray that catfish doesn't taste like mud.
6. Win-win.

J
john montana
Try fishing for them without bait. Carp feed primarily by scent, so fishing an artificial makes it a lot more challenging.

Reactions: eggs
K
Kevinb5688
I really want to catch catfish, at least there usually good eating. But can't get any where im at, any tips would help. Drew, you seem to be the man to help. Wjat bait works good for cats?

S
smokemwhenucatchem
I grew up in souther Illinois and we used to eat carp a lot. just use the meat from the fillet and don't eat the belly meat. You will find that it doesn't have a lot of flavor and will need to be spiced up a bit. They are bottom feeders so many people won't eat them. Hey, you can't live forever you know. As far as catch and release, just kill em. nobody wants extra carp. and you can't kill them all trust me we tried back in Illinois it can't be done.

My son just got a bow and he is interested in bow fishing. Do you think the Long tom would be a good place for that?

K
Kevinb5688
smokemwhenucatchem said:
I grew up in souther Illinois and we used to eat carp a lot. just use the meat from the fillet and don't eat the belly meat. You will find that it doesn't have a lot of flavor and will need to be spiced up a bit. They are bottom feeders so many people won't eat them. Hey, you can't live forever you know. As far as catch and release, just kill em. nobody wants extra carp. and you can't kill them all trust me we tried back in Illinois it can't be done.

My son just got a bow and he is interested in bow fishing. Do you think the Long tom would be a good place for that?
Yep i bow fish at the same spot. There all over

O
OnTheFly
Kevinb5688 said:
Ive been carp fishing the last few days (giving the bass around my area a break) and ive been reading what you all write on here, but my experiences have been different. Its almost to easy, they eat anything i throw at em. Worms, corn, bread, even gulp alive. I catch one almost as soon as it hits the bottom. Caught 30-40 fish in 4 hours today. A couple around 20lbs. Dont know if i should kill em or what to do with em. They probably taste like butt?
Dude, I just gave you a rep point and more if I could for disclosing the gospel truth in the ease of catching these fish. And some say they're smart :rolleyes:

K
Kevinb5688
I went to the ame spot again today, once again caught countless stupid carp. But brought the bow today and shot them too. That was fun. And i finally caught some catfish. Not huge but decent. Got 2 carp over 15 lbs. One with the bow.

T
TTFishon
Pics pics got any pics!!!

Reactions: OnTheFly
K
Kevinb5688
TTFishon said:
Pics pics got any pics!!!

No, next time i go for sure i will take pics. Just never been proud enough of a carp to take a pic. Lol
Other people i told about it were there and caught a few nice size carp. They said they eat them and there good. Needless to say i gave mine to them. Crazy russian people, i wouldnt eat carp. Haha

C
colbypearson
Kevinb5688 said:
Crazy russian people, i wouldnt eat carp. Haha

thats good somebody has to do it..... i dont really plan on eating carp but i can't knock it until i have tried it and the more good uses for dead carp there are the better.

Reactions: eggs
J
JeannaJigs
I once ate a goldfish. It was terrible. I imagine carp to taste the same.

J
john montana
Carp are widely considered the most eaten fish in the world. I have never tried one and despite being an avid carp on the fly guy the prejudice runs deep with me as well...so I probably won't eat one anytime soon either.

As for carp being "stupid" and easy to catch...simply not true. Infisherman did an article years ago with some studies that had carp "learning" twice as fast as bass. Another British study I read in a carp book showed that carp fed (and hooked) on specific bait foods would avoid that same food source for up to two months...crazy. I am not going to claim that carp are smart but they likely are "smarter" than most freshwater fish. Still...we are talking about fish.

As for the easy to catch i would say the same thing I said earlier. Try an artificial. Bait fishing by definition is relatively easy. What is more difficult...too FEED a fish, or to FOOL a fish. I am not disparaging any methods of fishing, I only mention it because you seem so intent on talking about how stupid and easy to catch carp are. I find them challenging, but I am using a totally different method.

Looking forward to some pictures.

Reactions: brandon4455 and colbypearson
C
colbypearson
john montana said:
Carp are widely considered the most eaten fish in the world. I have never tried one and despite being an avid carp on the fly guy the prejudice runs deep with me as well...so I probably won't eat one anytime soon either.

As for carp being "stupid" and easy to catch...simply not true. Infisherman did an article years ago with some studies that had carp "learning" twice as fast as bass. Another British study I read in a carp book showed that carp fed (and hooked) on specific bait foods would avoid that same food source for up to two months...crazy. I am not going to claim that carp are smart but they likely are "smarter" than most freshwater fish. Still...we are talking about fish.

As for the easy to catch i would say the same thing I said earlier. Try an artificial. Bait fishing by definition is relatively easy. What is more difficult...too FEED a fish, or to FOOL a fish. I am not disparaging any methods of fishing, I only mention it because you seem so intent on talking about how stupid and easy to catch carp are. I find them challenging, but I am using a totally different method.

Looking forward to some pictures.

i agree carp are pretty hard to catch if you think about other species they are really some of the hardest some times, it just goes back ti the right time and place.

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
I once ate a goldfish. It was terrible. I imagine carp to taste the same.

But did you cook the gold fish? lol