I'm going to end up in a straight jacket!

H
Herefishyfishy
Since I started steelhead fishing the number one thing I had drilled into my head was when in doubt SET THE HOOK!!! It is almost ingrained in my dna. Drift fishing - line stops moving, SET THE HOOK!, tap feels different, SET THE HOOK! Bobber fishing- bobber down, SET THE HOOK! Bobber moves funny, SET THE HOOK! JERK OR BE ONE etc, etc, etc...
Now I'm learning to swing flies :sad:
DON"T SET THE HOOK! Are you friggin kidding me!!!???:yikes:
I've been to a few presentations on swinging for steel, the last one with Rob Crandall and they have all said the same thing DON"T SET THE HOOK. Let the fish take it and when it heads back toward where it was laying it will hook itself. Pull back and put tension on the line but DON"T SET THE HOOK!
Well guess what... I finally had a fish take my swung fly on the Nestucca yesterday, first time. At the end of my swing when I let it hover for a second, tug, tug and back toward the middle of the river. Any guesses on what happened next.......?
That's right, I SET THE HOOK AND PULLED THE FLY RIGHT OUT OF IT"S MOUTH!
I couldn't help it, I couldn't stop myself!
I hope my wife will visit me in the padded room I am destined to end up in. I hope I will even recognize her or even know my own name!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Sorry, I had to laugh...with you, I hope. :) I have tried both methods with the same results probably 97% of the time. It is definitely enough to make us a little crazy. :sad: But then, that's why we all keep going back for more punishment, right? :thumb:

C
ChezJfrey
Yep, had that happen my first take with a fly. Then I read a bunch and found as you did...exact opposite.

Here's a tip for swinging that I employ:

While the fly is swinging, hold the line with just barely enough force to keep the line in place and make sure that a short loop of 6 to 8 inches of line hangs down from your grip to the reel. When a fish takes, the line should start sliding out and when it becomes taut, pull. I was doing this for a fish that took last year in September; the line slid away and I thought, "Hmmm, I think something took my fly." When I pulled the rod back and toward the near shore, tension, shake, and a fish erupted from the water, with my fly lodged in its mouth! Landed my first on the fly that way.

Last edited:
hobster
hobster
:D That's so funny, I've had the exact same problem. It feels so natural to set that baby hard! From what I've read Chez has the right idea. Its just a matter of doing it on the river, which seems so unnatural. A totally different mindset when fly fishing. Still gotta land my first steelie on a fly.

C
ChezJfrey
hobster said:
:D That's so funny, I've had the exact same problem. It feels so natural to set that baby hard! From what I've read Chez has the right idea. Its just a matter of doing it on the river, which seems so unnatural. A totally different mindset when fly fishing. Still gotta land my first steelie on a fly.

Credit where credit is due...that technique is in John Larison's book :)

H
Herefishyfishy
Thanks Chez! That is something that has been gone over in these seminars too, loop or no loop. I think I'm going to have to be a "looper" at least until the jerk baby jerk is out of me!

T
TimberTodd
I'm still trying for that first take, and I have a feeling I will end up doing the same thing. Congratulations on getting a taker though.

R
redhawk50
Well in a straight jacket you can't set the hook, so that could work out good for you. Not the best for safe wading practices though. I like the extra line loop method as well, as it has worked for me. Then a steady strong pull down river when the line starts running to set the hook.

S
SOMCREW
WE Never slam the hooks for steelhead unless float fishing!

hobster
hobster
SOMCREW said:
WE Never slam the hooks for steelhead unless float fishing!

??? I guess you guys don't drift fish much. Not trying to be a jerk but they'll spit that corkie quick, never seen a drift fisher who doesn't slam the hook.

S
SOMCREW
hobster said:
??? I guess you guys don't drift fish much. Not trying to be a jerk but they'll spit that corkie quick, never seen a drift fisher who doesn't slam the hook.

The fact that you swing and miss at everything is a bad habit. When side drifting out of the drift boat we keep the boat at and lines at the same pace of the water. Once the strike occurs Lift your rode and take a little line with your reel. once you feel line pulling then set the hook. You will increase your hook ups ten to one. Guess I should have been a little more clear seeing as how you are quick to jump to the fact and say we don't catch fish. lol Our boat seen almost 500 steelhead last winter between the folks we had on it. Bank fishing I personally had 187.. On a Southern Oregon River ( UN-NAMED ) had 98 in five days to the bank. They don't call us Southern Oregon Metalheads for no reason (SOMCREW) . If you need help fixing that happen put a dog shocker on your arm and come on the boat every time you swing and miss i'll hit the button. We can break it very fast. :worthy:

hobster
hobster
SOMCREW said:
The fact that you swing and miss at everything is a bad habit. When side drifting out of the drift boat we keep the boat at and lines at the same pace of the water. Once the strike occurs Lift your rode and take a little line with your reel. once you feel line pulling then set the hook. You will increase your hook ups ten to one. Guess I should have been a little more clear seeing as how you are quick to jump to the fact and say we don't catch fish. lol Our boat seen almost 500 steelhead last winter between the folks we had on it. Bank fishing I personally had 187.. On a Southern Oregon River ( UN-NAMED ) had 98 in five days to the bank. They don't call us Southern Oregon Metalheads for no reason (SOMCREW) . If you need help fixing that happen put a dog shocker on your arm and come on the boat every time you swing and miss i'll hit the button. We can break it very fast. :worthy:

:D Ha,ha, little sensitive? Never said you didn't catch fish, I'm sure you guys slay them. All I said is you gotta set the hook drifting and it seems you agreed with me anyway.

S
SOMCREW
To a certain point. Dont just slam your rod when you feel a lil bump let them take when you know they are there then pin them,,,, and yes in a way i did and no not at all !

hobster
hobster
Actually you are 100% correct. Lift that rod slightly and when you feel the steel set that baby! And presuming that I slam the hook on every bump is incorrect, we've never fished together have we?
Sorry to hijack this thread guys.

J
joem
hobster said:

yeah when a corkie line gets caught in there face they tend to want it out, and if you dont slam the hook how will you take the slack out of the leader? haha i'm a drift fisher and i don't slam any hooks, that's a good way to dull them, a good way to get snagged up in a log, a good way to have a hook fly up at you, a good way to show your not really drifting. if a fish is going to eat it they are going to eat it, simple. oh also the SOM guys probably have a clue what they are talking about, so don't try to correct them on fishing techniques, unless you want them to say something back.