I'm glad to open this thread.


plumbertom

Active member
Finally have managed to get my motor running acceptably.
I hope this next week to get out on the water at Charleston to crab and fish. Provided wind and rain allow.
I know that the Ocean is closed to com'l crabbers for about another month and com'l bay crabbing is open until Dec.1.
But I'd still like to see any crab reports from Charleston (inside is my only access) to get some idea what to expect and any tips as to the area and depth are always welcome.
 
Last edited:

rogerdodger

Well-known member
Moderator
Most Featured
good timing to get your kit working properly, nothing better than when the Comm. season get's delayed, there should be lots of 'hubcaps' roaming around...go get'em!
 

Bob Budesa

New member
I'd still like to see any crab reports from Charleston (inside is my only access) to get some idea what to expect and any tips as to the area and depth are always welcome.
A friend and I were out in Charleston Tues-Thurs, and the crabbing got better each day. We set 6 pots out along the long sandy shore of north spit for the first two days, getting 6 crabs on Tues, then a dozen on Wednesday. Thursday, we went out around 7:30 and placed pots along the rocky shore at the tip of the spit (across from Coos Head), and got two limits. We were off by noon, just before high tide. We set in nothing deeper than 30' (mainly because we only had 50' lead core lines)

We used chicken legs all days, but tried some perforated cans of tuna in oil the last day. Couldn't say one bait was better than the other, but chicken legs did produce well. Lots of little crabs to clean your chicken, so wrap it in a fine-meshed wire (1/4") before soaking to make it last longer.

Friends down in Bandon did well also.

Just be sure to get your pots out before the outgoing tide gets a full head of steam up. Buoys can go under pretty quickly!

Good luck! Hope you get a bunch!
 

plumbertom

Active member
So Tom, how did you do in Charleston?
I must not have been clear. I intend to go this coming week. Currently the plan is for Thursday unless wind improves for Wed.
My low freeboard jon boat isn't very happy in heavy wind chop and lets me know by keeping me wet.
Just finished chopping chicken quarters into three pieces each and repackaging them for bait.
So I think I'm ready once the conditions improve.
 

Log in or Register
for ads free experience.

Top Bottom