The regs on trout fishing

G
GDBrown
I have been trying to understand the regs on trout fishing as it applies to rivers and streams.

For the Willamette Zone; Streams: catch and release only, except as noted under Special Regulations. OK that means unless it says otherwise under special regulation I have to release all trout, right?

Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures in streams. See exceptions
under Special Regulations where use of bait is allowed.
• 8-inch minimum length.
• Only 1 trout over 20 inches in length may be taken per day.
• Rainbow trout over 20 inches are considered steelhead in streams.
• Closed to angling for bull trout.
• Kokanee included in trout limits except as noted under Special
Regulations.

From this section I understand that if trout fishing is allowed they must be at least 8" and if it is over 20" I can only keep one, I get that. But if it is a rainbow over 20" it is no longer a trout but a steelhead. So does that mean that if I'm Steelhead fishing and catch one that is less than 20" I have to release it because it is not really a steelhead but is a rainbow trout?

The reason I ask is because, if I understand the Special Regulations for the Willamette below the falls at OC, trout fishing (retention) is not allowed at any time of year. So if I'm Salmon fishing, like I was earlier this week, and have a 19 in fish take my eggs and it is not a salmon but it is fin clipped should I have kept the fish?

It's the closest I have come to catching a Springer so far:mad:.

B
BobbiDollPDX
That applies to streams in the Willamette Zone, not the Willamette itself.

Couple of ways to check your stream

If you look at pages 46 and 47 of your reg book, you will see a map of the area and at the upper right there is a box with two inidicators to look for when identifying whether a stream on the map opens on the 4th Sat in April through Oct 31 or from the 4th Sat in May through Oct 31st.

Then if you check the Legend on the left, there are keys that identify what streams are closed all year.

Still a very confusing way of doing it.

Pages 50-59 list most bodies of water with any special regulation whether they be Open only to artificial flies and lures or Open only for Trout April 23-Oct 31.

Much easier way to get your answer.

C
chris61182
To me it sounds like you understood it just fine...

GDBrown said:
From this section I understand that if trout fishing is allowed they must be at least 8" and if it is over 20" I can only keep one, I get that. But if it is a rainbow over 20" it is no longer a trout but a steelhead. So does that mean that if I'm Steelhead fishing and catch one that is less than 20" I have to release it because it is not really a steelhead but is a rainbow trout?

Correct. It may seem arbitrary but length is the method they chose to use for people to quantifiable tell a potamodromous O. mykiss from an anadromous O. mykiss.

The reason I ask is because, if I understand the Special Regulations for the Willamette below the falls at OC, trout fishing (retention) is not allowed at any time of year. So if I'm Salmon fishing, like I was earlier this week, and have a 19 in fish take my eggs and it is not a salmon but it is fin clipped should I have kept the fish?

19 < 20 means it's a trout, so without a retention season you legally should not be keeping such a fish.

Troutski
Troutski
If you are in doubt please contact your local ODFW office, they are there for you; no kidding they will give you all the help needed for complete understanding.
Tight lines

Chuck

G
GDBrown
I just find it hard to believe that there is no retention at any time for trout in the lower Willamette!
Thanks for the replies, I knew there would be someone to set me straight..... What am I saying I've always been straight!

GD