I'm coming to invade your space!

A
alm21
It’s rare that I will come onto a forum and ask “where should I go” for all the obvious reasons. However, considering the following circumstances, I’m hoping someone might feel generous and help me (or really my brother) out. My older brother (48yrs) has never caught a salmon or steelhead. He has recently taken up the interest for a couple reasons; 1) he recognizes that I’m a fish nut and sees it as an opportunity for us to spend some time together since we may only see each other a couple times a year, 2) he’s, let’s say, income disadvantaged and could benefit from some fish in the freezer and 3) he’s developing an ethical passion for the sport. It’s very difficult for me to get down to Eugene to go fish with him and he rarely can afford to drive up to PDX but this Saturday, I’m carving out some time to go down and grab him in hopes to put him into some fish. If I had more bank, I’d just hire a guide for both of us and call it good but that will have to wait.

So, my tentative plan is to make the drive down well before sunrise and pick him up, fish all day and then drive back to Portland that night (IronMan fishing). The McKenzie and Willamette sound like the obvious go-to rivers but is there somewhere else I should consider? He’s spent some time up at Dexter this season with no luck and based on what I’ve heard from him, it doesn’t sound like my kind of a scene. But, for this trip, I’ll accept that fact that I’ll run into crowds considering I don’t know these rivers. I’m doing my appropriate homework to determine places to go and having never fished the McKenzie, it sounds like a nice place to spend a day on the water. Apparently, Leaburg is an option but I won’t be able to handle combat fishing for too long. If anyone feels generous and wants to PM me some advice as to where we may want to focus our efforts, it would be greatly appreciated and I would hope to have an opportunity to reciprocate when it comes to my home waters (we can make the hikes as needed). Before anyone suggests,” just go fishing and find out for yourself” which I’ve seen time and time again, I have to say “Duh, that’s exactly what I’m going to do”. I really don’t give a cr*p whether or not I catch a fish but really want to be there when my brother gets into his first.

D
DYJ
MapQuest Deerhorn Road. There is some descent water with minimal crowds

I wish I didn't have to work till noon or I'd offer to take ya on a float.

Reactions: alm21
A
alm21
DYJ said:
MapQuest Deerhorn Road. There is some descent water with minimal crowds

I wish I didn't have to work till noon or I'd offer to take ya on a float.

Thank you very much for the offer! Yep, I've been going over the bing maps and Deerhorn looked like a good stretch to hit (also using Fishing in Oregon as a resource).

B
bran_man
Pretty much any spot below the hatchery has fish all over the place. Just have to brave the crowds...

R
rippin fish lips
alm21 said:
Thank you very much for the offer! Yep, I've been going over the bing maps and Deerhorn looked like a good stretch to hit (also using Fishing in Oregon as a resource).

Lots of fish up there. But Deerhorn Road will be your best bet at finding fish while trying to avoid the crowds. What days are you planning on fishing? If i'm not working i am out on this river.

Another good spot... would be on the willy, a couple miles below The Dexter Rat hole, would be elijah bristow park, off of Rattle Snake road i believe it is. Losts of water to fish there if you don't mind sharing some trails with some the horseback riders.

This time of year, you should find barely any crowds at this park. It's tucked pretty far in the woods and is one amazing place to be as far as "just being out there." Most ppl at this park are riding horses, or having a picnic with their family. Everyone i see there is really nice.

Same with Deerhorn road on the mckenzie river.

Last edited:
S
Sinkline

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
Sinkline said:
Hey Dave, or Rose, can ya PM Alex (alm21) and hook him up? He's a good man that will take care of the resource! He is one of the few OFFers I have met in person.

Randy
;)

T
Throbbit _Shane
There's some good looking water at the greenwood boat ramp. Today I floated from Leaburg to that ramp and its a pretty cool river!

J
joem
Throbbit _Shane said:
There's some good looking water at the greenwood boat ramp. Today I floated from Leaburg to that ramp and its a pretty cool river!

what did you float in?

T
Throbbit _Shane
An OFF members drift boat. They may or may not post a report on here but blood was shed today.

Ill probably do that stretch or little further down in my pontoon boat some time in the near future though.

J
joem
well i may or may not have talked to you today then haha

T
Throbbit _Shane
Did you see a girl rowing a boat? If so that was us!

J
joem
wasn't paying that much attention. but i heard of a few people doing good today. im thinkin bout floatin tomorrow

18406ej
18406ej
I don't know anything about the Eugene area waters but I did drift the McKenzie from Springfield to Eugene once and we did well.

More important than fishing is the amazing amount of care and compassion that you show for your brother. You are very kind.

EJ

A
alm21
Thanks everyone for kicking down some helpful info! I hope to put it to good use and have some success to report on.

Sinkline said:
Hey Dave, or Rose, can ya PM Alex (alm21) and hook him up? He's a good man that will take care of the resource! He is one of the few OFFers I have met in person.

Randy

Thanks for the props Randy!

rippin fish lips said:
What days are you planning on fishing? If i'm not working i am out on this river.

Just Saturday and then I need to get back home to the family. Wish I could spend a couple days in the area. The Eugene area looks to be a great launch pad to get to some fisheries in our state.

18406ej said:
I don't know anything about the Eugene area waters but I did drift the McKenzie from Springfield to Eugene once and we did well.

More important than fishing is the amazing amount of care and compassion that you show for your brother. You are very kind.

EJ

Haha, you're too kind, thanks. Although, I admit that I'd like to be there when he looses his first salmon/steelhead so I can give him the brotherly ribbing! ;)

A
alm21
Thanks again for the helpful advice. I'm going to post a weekend report but there was some success and more importantly, good times with my brother.

R
rippin fish lips
alm21 said:
Thanks again for the helpful advice. I'm going to post a weekend report but there was some success and more importantly, good times with my brother.

Hey man, i saw your report about... like 2 hours ago. i am about to comment on it. You are welcome for the advice and if you ever make it back to the Eugene area let me know and maybe i can show you good spots that don't get crowded. I have found a lot of really good spots to bank/wade. Pretty busy with 40hr weeks. And if you ever want to know what fish are hitting around here, dont forget about me, hit me up. I have seen hundreds of fish caught on so many different things this year on back to back days.

N
neverbackdown7
rippin fish lips said:
Hey man, i saw your report about... like 2 hours ago. i am about to comment on it. You are welcome for the advice and if you ever make it back to the Eugene area let me know and maybe i can show you good spots that don't get crowded. I have found a lot of really good spots to bank/wade. Pretty busy with 40hr weeks. And if you ever want to know what fish are hitting around here, dont forget about me, hit me up. I have seen hundreds of fish caught on so many different things this year on back to back days.

Would you be willing to offer the same advice to an appreciative fellow Eugene area angler? But i did see the report too and that was an amazing catch and a great memory that you and your brother will have for many years hopefully you can get back down here and catch more!